Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates

Go down 
+25
SteelersYak
Galax Steeler
kan_t
HeinzMustard
SteelCityUnderground
DesertSteel
kirklandrules
ebsteelersSF
Buddha Bus
ETL
Vis
IowaSteeler927
El-Gonzo Jackson
Austinfrench76
effyou515
tony hipchest
BlackAndGold
SteelersCanada
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
ImperialFan
PhantomJB93
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Fire Arians
TJ22
Wallace108
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:04 am

Fire Arians wrote:
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Plus I trust our track record with wide outs.

especially in the 3rd round...

Sammie Coates has had TD receptions of 88, 68, 68, 67, 57, 56, 39, 38, 36, 34 and 33 yards over the past 2 seasons

— Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) May 2, 2015

https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib
Drools. I imagine he's pretty damn fast, Possible returner? It would be nice to get AB off of that even though he's quite good at it.

Dri Archer
Ah true. Anyhow a lot of toys for Ben to play with now. Not that the D couldn't use some tuning up but we may become that good on offense where we can make up for it this year.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:04 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
Yeah but his suspension for week 1  ): if he wasnt suspended all of them would be jumping out that window.

Ah, i was thinking playoffs (have a feeling our teams are gonna meet soon there)

But right, don't talk about playoffs! you kiddin me? I just hope the Steelers can win a game Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:19 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Obviously not a need but I'm not remotely upset either.

This is a true BPA pick.  Sammie Coates is a GREAT weapon at receiver.  Should have definitely been a 2nd round pick if not a 1st.  Every time I have watched Auburn the past several years, Sammie Coates does something BIG.  I always found myself thinking that whoever got him would be lucky and getting a great receiver.  I truly, truly believe he will supplant Markus Wheaton as the third receiver by year's end.  He is Mike Wallace with more size and better ability to adjust to a catch.  He will absolutely put this offense over the top and I have no doubt this will be in the conversation for the best WR corps in the years to come.  Just imagine all the plays last year where you got upset that DHB or Lance Moore were in the game and missing a catch.  No more.  AB and Bryant on the outside with Wheaton and Coates in the slot?  I'm drooling already.

Obviously we still need another CB, maybe another safety.  Maybe a TE too.  None of those positions had a prospect available who matched up with our draft position.  Absolutely would have been a reach for any of those positions at our pick.  I understand why people are upset and won't criticize those who are, but I don't share that opinion.

What he said.

As long as we have Ben, we are never going to keep receivers beyond their first contract. He turns them into mega stars who get paid millions. Brown and ward are exceptions to the rule.

Randle el, burress, Holmes, sanders, Wallace, all became unaffordable. It will happen with Wheaton and Bryant after this season. Antonio already wants a raise (and deserves it). Hell, even cothery became a bit too expensive. We will always have to reload at the position but that is the price we pay to have a great qb and z top tier offense.

. .
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:25 am

tony hipchest wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

This is a true BPA pick.  Sammie Coates is a GREAT weapon at receiver.  Should have definitely been a 2nd round pick if not a 1st.  Every time I have watched Auburn the past several years, Sammie Coates does something BIG.  I always found myself thinking that whoever got him would be lucky and getting a great receiver.  I truly, truly believe he will supplant Markus Wheaton as the third receiver by year's end.  He is Mike Wallace with more size and better ability to adjust to a catch.  He will absolutely put this offense over the top and I have no doubt this will be in the conversation for the best WR corps in the years to come.  Just imagine all the plays last year where you got upset that DHB or Lance Moore were in the game and missing a catch.  No more.  AB and Bryant on the outside with Wheaton and Coates in the slot?  I'm drooling already.

Obviously we still need another CB, maybe another safety.  Maybe a TE too.  None of those positions had a prospect available who matched up with our draft position.  Absolutely would have been a reach for any of those positions at our pick.  I understand why people are upset and won't criticize those who are, but I don't share that opinion.

What he said.

As long as we have Ben, we are never going to keep receivers beyond their first contract.  He turns them into mega stars who get paid millions.  Brown and ward are exceptions to the rule.

Randle el, burress, Holmes, sanders, Wallace, all became unaffordable.  It will happen with Wheaton and Bryant after this season.  Antonio already wants a raise (and deserves it).  Hell, even cothery became a bit too expensive.  We will always have to reload at the position but that is the price we pay to have a great qb and z top tier offense.

I agree got to have some young talent in the pipe line.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:41 am

tony hipchest wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

What he said.

As long as we have Ben, we are never going to keep receivers beyond their first contract.  He turns them into mega stars who get paid millions.  Brown and ward are exceptions to the rule.

Randle el, burress, Holmes, sanders, Wallace, all became unaffordable.  It will happen with Wheaton and Bryant after this season.  Antonio already wants a raise (and deserves it).  Hell, even cothery became a bit too expensive.  We will always have to reload at the position but that is the price we pay to have a great qb and z top tier offense.

It's sad but true. I really wish we could keep Bryant. I think he is going to really break out this season. Just imagining him and brown as a duel threat. We will have an unstoppable passing game, even better than last years.

It sucks that Bell is going to miss the first 3 games but I don't think we need to worry too much. we had a week to prepare for his absence in the playoffs and now we will have all summer to prepare for his absence in these first three games...Williams/Harris/Archer should be able to tote to load.

But yeah maybe we will get lucky and Bryant wont be a money hungry pig and would rather win rings than go to a crappy team and retire a year later.
Back to top Go down
Austinfrench76
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:11 am

I would have loved Heurman with this pick. This is a luxury and this dude looks fast but I think Heurman ends up being a stud and at a position of need more the WR! And F the Ravens taking Williams. F Arians for doing that too! Lol.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:13 am

I like Coates as a WR. Speed, big play ability and decent size. But, I thought that Carl Davis or Steven Nelson would have benefitted the team more than adding a #4 WR.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:22 am

3(87) Pittsburgh Steelers: Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn: A Grade

Man, I've correctly mocked all three positions to the Steelers, but I've had the wrong players. I love this pick though, as the Steelers are selecting another talented player who dropped into their lap. Sammie Coates easily could've gone in the second round, but dropped because he, well, drops a lot of passes. That's something that can be coached up. Coates' athleticism, on the other hand, cannot. He has major bust potential, but his ceiling is extremely high.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php#lm4kSQisf48sB0CU.99
Back to top Go down
TJ22
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:27 am

You know who else had a lot of athleticism and a problem with drops... DHB.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:34 am

TJ22 wrote:

and Mike Wallace...
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:41 am

...and ike Taylor...

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:03 am

Steelers draft WR from Auburn in 3rd round

By Chris Adamski
Friday, May 1, 2015

Player: Sammie Coates

Position: Wide receiver

Height: 6-foot-1

Weight: 212 pounds

Born: Leroy, Alabama

College: Auburn

Measurables: 4.43 40-yard dash, 41-inch vertical leap

Bio: Was a big-play, deep-tracking receiver at Auburn as he averaged more than 20 yards per catch over his collegiate career. Has a reputation of being only a deep threat. Coates was targeted 31 times on routes of at least 20 yards with 10 catches for 488 yards and all four of his scores last season, seventh nationally in receiving yards on deep routes, according to Pro Football Focus.

After taking arguably the draft's best playmaking cornerback in the second round, the Steelers completed their Friday evening by taking a playmaking wide receiver in the third.

Auburn's Sammie Coates, by his new positions coach's own admission, is raw. But despite less-than-gaudy overall production in college, Coates made big plays — and in big games.

Eleven of his 13 career touchdown receptions went for at least 33 yards, including almost half (six) covering 56 yards or more. As a redshirt sophomore in 2013, his seven touchdown catches covered an average of 54.1 yards — part of an overall per-reception average of 21.5 that ranked third in the nation.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8224719-74/coates-steelers-receivers#ixzz3Yx05jcAo
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:31 am

You can never have enough weapons in my book, and he should push Martavis Bryant to be at his absolute best. This receiving corps is going to be something special. Now if we could score a pass catching TE our offense would be pretty damned hard to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 3:25 am

This is the guy who's next if AB prices himself out in a few years. That's what 3rd round WR picks are for in this organization.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 3:37 am

Vis wrote:
This is the guy who's next if AB prices himself out in a few years.  That's what 3rd round WR picks are for in this organization.  

I was off work today and starting drinking a little earlier than usual. I tried to pass it off as tailgating before the draft. If the draft had started at 1:00, it would have been a legitimate excuse. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1890901109

Anyway, I know I wasn't the only one who was confused by the pick of Coates. But what you said actually cut through the beer fog. Drafting a player isn't always about focusing on the needs of the next season. You always have to think ahead.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 3:52 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Vis wrote:
This is the guy who's next if AB prices himself out in a few years.  That's what 3rd round WR picks are for in this organization.  

I was off work today and starting drinking a little earlier than usual. I tried to pass it off as tailgating before the draft. If the draft had started at 1:00, it would have been a legitimate excuse. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1890901109

Anyway, I know I wasn't the only one who was confused by the pick of Coates. But what you said actually cut through the beer fog. Drafting a player isn't always about focusing on the needs of the next season. You always have to think ahead.
the perfect example of this is how we used last years pick, to draft shamarko 2 years ago, to be ready to go next season.

. .
Back to top Go down
ETL

ETL

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 8:46 am

YouTube highlights of Coates has him making catches on our 2nd round pick - Golson.

One thing I saw was that this Golson kid can levitate. Even with jump type balls , Golson was up there fighting for it.

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 10:04 am

TJ22 wrote:

And the second best receiver on this team in Martavis Bryant, the budding young superstar.

I don't know how anyone can dislike this pick knowing the amount of talent that is going to be on the field at once on the offense.

1. Antonio Brown
2. Martavis Bryant
3. Sammie Coates / Wheaton

1. Le'Veon / DeAngelo (weeks 1 - 3)

1. Heath Miller

Split Coates and Bryant out wide and have them take the top off of the defense and allow Brown and Bell to work the underneath game.

The gif I posted earlier was meant as entertainment, but it might ring true -- who covers this offense? Even if (when) Brown gets doubled up, you're leaving Bryant and Coates in one-on-one with Bell allowed to roam free against linebackers who can't keep up. Throw in Ben's safety blanket in 83 and you've got yourself an offense.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 10:09 am

SteelersCanada wrote:
TJ22 wrote:

And the second best receiver on this team in Martavis Bryant, the budding young superstar.

I don't know how anyone can dislike this pick knowing the amount of talent that is going to be on the field at once on the offense.

1. Antonio Brown
2. Martavis Bryant
3. Sammie Coates / Wheaton

1. Le'Veon / DeAngelo (weeks 1 - 3)

1. Heath Miller

Split Coates and Bryant out wide and have them take the top off of the defense and allow Brown and Bell to work the underneath game.

The gif I posted earlier was meant as entertainment, but it might ring true -- who covers this offense? Even if (when) Brown gets doubled up, you're leaving Bryant and Coates in one-on-one with Bell allowed to roam free against linebackers who can't keep up. Throw in Ben's safety blanket in 83 and you've got yourself an offense.

And this doesn't even factor in if they find a way to get Dri Archer and his speed involved. This offense could be a nightmare for defenses.

Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 10:32 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

And this doesn't even factor in if they find a way to get Dri Archer and his speed involved. This offense could be a nightmare for defenses.

Brown is the slowest receiver in terms of pure footspeed of the starting four on the team.

Brown: 4.47
Bryant: 4.42
Coates: 4.43
Wheaton: 4.45

My guess is we're throwing the ball deep. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 10:36 am

SteelersCanada wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Brown is the slowest receiver in terms of pure footspeed of the starting four on the team.

My guess is we're throwing the ball deep. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1797695198

This makes my pants tingle. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 3798349058

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:05 am

SteelersCanada wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

need to bring back Bruce Arians he loved to throw the ball. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1689750825
Back to top Go down
ebsteelersSF
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:34 am

i heard he compares to you guessed it LIMAS SWEED!!!!!

4.1 40 with hands like @teegree
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:59 am

Watching NFL Network. If 15 years from now Martavis Bryant was being inducted to the HOF they would still not pronounce his name properly.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm diggin it,  Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 1372836603  the Steelers got another big strong fast WR. Would like to see another big strong fast WR fall to them in the mid rounds of next years draft.  Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 469886443

200 plus pound WRs blocking for the running game, able to get behind a defense, plus their big redzone targets.  Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 184121345

Plus Sammie is a good character off the field all he needs to do now is listen learn and work hard to become a very good WR for the Steelers.

like the pick like big WRs.  Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 677999948

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next