Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates

Go down 
+25
SteelersYak
Galax Steeler
kan_t
HeinzMustard
SteelCityUnderground
DesertSteel
kirklandrules
ebsteelersSF
Buddha Bus
ETL
Vis
IowaSteeler927
El-Gonzo Jackson
Austinfrench76
effyou515
tony hipchest
BlackAndGold
SteelersCanada
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
ImperialFan
PhantomJB93
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Fire Arians
TJ22
Wallace108
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 1:31 pm

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coates-I-love-to-work-I-love-to-compete/4896c886-321c-444a-a0d1-a6f1bab26aba
I love this kid's demeanor and attitude. He's eager to prove himself. His attitude really reminds me a lot of AB's in that he's a hard worker. Best part was seeing that he reached out to Ben. That's really cool. I can see Sammie becoming a fan favorite.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 5:00 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coates-I-love-to-work-I-love-to-compete/4896c886-321c-444a-a0d1-a6f1bab26aba
I love this kid's demeanor and attitude. He's eager to prove himself. His attitude really reminds me a lot of AB's in that he's a hard worker. Best part was seeing that he reached out to Ben. That's really cool. I can see Sammie becoming a fan favorite.

Nice, if he's willing to work then that means he's coachable. I hope he makes a splash in his rookie season like martavis did, but it might be harder for him since our first 3 receivers are pretty much set in stone. He'll only get opportunities in the 4-wide or if someone gets injured (which i hope not)
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 5:13 pm

by Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

* It seems the third-round selection of Sammie Coates didn’t sit well among some draft analysts, both professional and those who lurk in the comment sections throughout cyberspace. Drops too many passes. A luxury pick. Just another Martavis Bryant.

* Oh, no. What a disaster it would be if Coates were another Bryant. What could the Steelers ever do with eight receiving touchdowns from a rookie receiver again?

* The offense would have TWO big, really fast receivers who do nothing better than track the deep balls. Imagine Coates on one side of the formation and Bryant on the other, with Antonio Brown lining up wherever and Le’Veon Bell in the backfield next to Ben Roethlisberger.

* Ask Mike Preston how he thinks that would turn out for the Ravens.

* And as for the dropping of the balls, there is some belief that Bryant was actually a bit worse coming from Clemson, but those eight touchdowns sure compensated nicely. About Coates’ drops, wide receivers coach Richard Mann speculated that they might stem from concentration lapses or maybe from the way Coates positions his hands when making underneath catches. “But the thing is I’ve never seen any bad body language,” added Mann, “so he’s not afraid, and that’s a good thing.”

* A very good thing.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...4-b9ba46c60944
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 10, 2015 7:33 am

Steelers’ Sammie Coates: ‘I want to be one of the best’

Shanna Lockwood-USA TODAY Sports

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Auburn wide receiver Sammie Coates with their third-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, and it was a selection that immediately interested the fan base. He is an extremely talented wide receiver, but what is even more important is how much passion he has about improving his game and becoming a better all-around player.

In one of his latest quotes, he made it clear that he wants to be one of the best wide receivers to play the game. He talked about reaching out to Ben Roethlisberger and getting ready to start his quest to become one of the best now.

“I want to be one of the best. It starts right now. It stated when I got drafted, reaching out to him and letting him know I want to be a part of it. That was my whole point, I am going to work hard the whole way.”
To read the rest of story:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_sammie_coates_i_want_to_be_one_of_the_best/18769295?linksrc=story_team_pittsburgh_steelers_auto_module_head_18769295

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 10, 2015 8:28 am

I'm hearing what he's SAYING.... let's see what he DOES.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 10, 2015 10:30 am

Fire Arians wrote:

Nice, if he's willing to work then that means he's coachable. I hope he makes a splash in his rookie season like martavis did, but it might be harder for him since our first 3 receivers are pretty much set in stone. He'll only get opportunities in the 4-wide or if someone gets injured (which i hope not)

I dont know, I don't really think Wheatons spot is set in stone. Bryant is already expected to take his #2 spot, so I'm sure if Coates showed he was better he would be on the field. Wheaton hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his first 2 seasons.

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:09 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I dont know, I don't really think Wheatons spot is set in stone. Bryant is already expected to take his #2 spot, so I'm sure if Coates showed he was better he would be on the field. Wheaton hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his first 2 seasons.

Wheaton is more of a slot receiver than an outside receiver. He is virtually Mike Wallace without the targets. Don't forget he had a score or two robbed from him last season too (Carolina game for sure.)

http://steelcityunderground.com
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySat May 16, 2015 2:51 am

Steelers sign third-round pick Sammie Coates

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 Coates_05082015_CP_1

Coates is the seventh of the team's eight draft 2015 NFL Draft selections to sign with the team.

The Steelers have signed their third-round selection, wide receiver Sammie Coates, from the 2015 NFL Draft. Financial terms of the four-year deal were not disclosed.

Coates (6-1, 212), who was the 87th overall pick, played collegiately at Auburn. A three-year starter, Coates finished his Tiger career ranked 10th in school history with 1,757 receiving yards to go along with seven career 100-yard games and 13 touchdown catches.

Coates is the seventh of the Steelers’ eight draft selections from the 2015 NFL Draft to sign with the team.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-third-round-pick-Sammie-Coates/0d77180b-8f6b-4dc3-acc0-eb1381334aed
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie WR Sammie Coates isn't dropping the ball

By Jacob Klinger
on May 27, 2015

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 17929565-mmmain

Pittsburgh Steelers third round draft pick, wide receiver Sammie Coates out of Auburn, participates in an NFL football rookie minicamp, Saturday, May 9, 2015, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic) (Keith Srakocic)

PITTSBURGH -- Sammie Coates needs to sharpen up his attention to detail – pre-snap, in his routes, the proverbial little things – fellow Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton said.

But so does every rookie receiver, he said. And the biggest knock on Coates, that he drops too many passes, hasn't shown up through the first two days of Steelers organized team activities (OTAs).

"I haven't seen that at all," Wheaton said. "He's been doing a great job of catching the ball."

to read rest of article:

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/05/pittsburgh_steelers_wheaton_sammie_coate.html#incart_most-read_steelers_article
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Sammie Coates showing Steelers he knows how to finish

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13959/sammie-coates-showing-steelers-he-knows-how-to-finish

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySat May 30, 2015 1:22 pm

I think in the 3rd round the Steelers could have added D-line depth with Carl Davis or grabbed another CB in Steven Nelson instead of Coates.....but Coates is big, strong, fast, explosive WR. I think the opportunity to get a big WR reminds some of Terrell Owens was too good to pass up.

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySat May 30, 2015 8:41 pm

In three years we will have the equivalent of randy moss, TO, & Marvin Harrison on the same field, Ben will be the 1st QB to throw for 6000 yds, and people will still say Todd Haley steals toilets and sucks.

. .
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 31, 2015 7:27 am

tony hipchest wrote:
In three years we will have the equivalent of randy moss, TO, & Marvin Harrison on the same field, Ben will be the 1st QB to throw for 6000 yds, and people will still say Todd Haley steals toilets and sucks.

Well.... you gotta agree he's no Bruce Arians. I mean he hasn't single handedly won a Super Bowl yet like B.A. did. He hasn't even won Coach of the Year yet! Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 1689750825

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 31, 2015 12:03 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

Well.... you gotta agree he's no Bruce Arians. I mean he hasn't single handedly won a Super Bowl yet like B.A. did. He hasn't even won Coach of the Year yet! Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 1689750825
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see if this Haley guy works out as OC. I heard he only got the job because of his dad and isn't going to get along with Ben.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 31, 2015 12:39 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

Yeah, I'm still waiting to see if this Haley guy works out as OC.  I heard he only got the job because of his dad and isn't going to get along with Ben.

Well, that's what we get for picking up table scraps of Arizona Cardinals castaways. I mean, if he couldn't mold great top tier talent like Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Palko, and Matt Leinart into perennial Pro
Bowlers, what hope does he have with a non-game film studying game manager like Ben? Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 2087824411

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 31, 2015 2:03 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

Yeah, I'm still waiting to see if this Haley guy works out as OC.  I heard he only got the job because of his dad and isn't going to get along with Ben.

Well, that's what we get for picking up table scraps of Arizona Cardinals castaways. I mean, if he couldn't mold great top tier talent like Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Palko, and Matt Leinart into perennial Pro
Bowlers, what hope does he have with a non-game film studying game manager like Ben? Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 2087824411

I don't think his dink and dunk offense is going to work out. At least the other guy single handedly got the Steelers to the Super bowl 3 times with his 7-step drop passing game strategy.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySun May 31, 2015 3:02 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

I don't think his dink and dunk offense is going to work out.  At least the other guy single handedly got the Steelers to the Super bowl 3 times with his 7-step drop passing game strategy.

Killer was right.....

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:33 pm

Coates: 'It’s about getting better every day

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
@Teresa_Varley

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 Coates_06042015_Article_1

Sammie Coates knows hard work is what is going to get him to the top.

Rookie wide receiver Sammie Coates might come from a small town, but the Steelers third-round draft pick has big dream and lofty goals.

“I don’t care how good I get, I want to be great so I am going to keep getting better every day,” said Coates, who grew up in tiny Leroy, Alabama.

Coates is taking advantage of every OTA session, every minute on the field, to improve, to make his goals happen. His plan is simple, improve in some area every day.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coates-It’s-about-getting-better-every-day/56019a8d-5fc4-49c5-a5bc-af4239980908
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 12:42 am

Sammie Coates could make big impact for Steelers in first season

Matt Williamson, ESPN.com

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0528%2Fnfl_a_sammiecoates_ms_1296x729

While drops were a concern in college, Sammie Coates has shown strong hands this offseason.

PITTSBURGH -- With Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton already in the fold, it raised some eyebrows when Pittsburgh drafted Sammie Coates in the third round. And it begs the question: Can Coates make an impact for the Steelers in Year 1?

After studying Coates at Auburn and through the draft process as well as some offseason work, I feel as though the answer to that question is a definitive yes.

What is strikingly apparent when you see Coates is that the 6-foot-1, 212-pound receiver is a big, powerful mover in a mold similar to Terrell Owens. When he opens it up, he can really burn as well.

Coates is more of a go route/deep post type of receiver, as well as a bubble screen or crossing route wideout in which he can use his powerful stride and after-the-catch ability.

He shouldn't try to mimic what Brown is doing. That's a difficult chore for this rookie. To do that would be to overemphasize his routes and think about his footwork rather than running the route as second nature.

Talking to people close to the situation, many brought up that they were very impressed with Coates’ already strong knowledge of Pittsburgh’s playbook.

Also, drops were a huge concern with Coates as a draft prospect, but the word is his large, strong hands catch the ball surprisingly softly.

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/14196/sammie-coates-could-make-big-impact-for-steelers-in-first-season
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:32 am

Snapshot: Sammie Coates

;Jul 22, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 1557278

Forget the drops, because the Steelers' rookie WR from Auburn makes too many big plays.

Sammie Coates loves the big stage. His stats last year bore that out.

Against SEC powerhouses LSU, Ole Miss and Alabama, Coates had 41 percent of his receptions, 64 percent of his yardage and 100 percent of his touchdowns for the season.

Against Ole Miss, he caught five passes for 122 yards, including two for 98 against cornerback Senquez Golson, the guy drafted a round ahead of Coates by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In fact, the first question put to Coates upon being drafted was whether he had ever gone head-to-head against Golson. The questioner had no idea about their history.

"Yeah a little bit," Coates said with a laugh.

The follow-up was whether Coates had any success against Golson.

"I did a little something to him," Coates said with another laugh.

"On draft day," Golson would later say at minicamp, "when I saw them pick him up, shoot, I was happy to have him on my team. I played against him all four years in college. I know what he can do. It's better to be on the same side as him than go against him."

Coates played even better against Alabama last year. He set an Auburn Iron Bowl record with 206 yards on five catches, including touchdowns of 34 and 68 yards...

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1565721-snapshot-sammie-coates
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:45 am

Seems like that Coates could play on day one if Tomlin lets him.

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 6:47 am

With a strong camp I think he could leapfrog to the number three spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:57 pm

I like the Coates pick and think he will be impactful. But I also think he will have his share of the drops and fans will pile on him heavier than Chris Kemoeatu being piggybacked by Limas Sweed.

If you watch Coates NFL Combine workout, you see that he is not a natural catcher of the football, he almost fights it into his hands and as long as he catches it that is fine. I think he will improve over time under Richard Mann, but as of right now, Senquez Golson is much more comfortable catching a football than Coates.

I'll put the over/under on receptions by Coates at 22 for the season, IMO.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 3:44 pm

He will replace Antonio Brown in his 3rd season

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 2:43 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next