Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates

Go down 
+25
SteelersYak
Galax Steeler
kan_t
HeinzMustard
SteelCityUnderground
DesertSteel
kirklandrules
ebsteelersSF
Buddha Bus
ETL
Vis
IowaSteeler927
El-Gonzo Jackson
Austinfrench76
effyou515
tony hipchest
BlackAndGold
SteelersCanada
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
ImperialFan
PhantomJB93
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Fire Arians
TJ22
Wallace108
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 3:36 pm

Forget about the dropped balls for now. I watch a ton of SEC football and I hate the Auburn Tigers, so I had plenty of weekends pissed that Coats was making big plays. His drops were on shorter, routine routes. Honestly, I just can't remember one drop he made during a deep throw in a big game. I'm sure someone can produce a clip to prove me wrong, but my point is he is great in big games at the critical time. He'll just have to be coached to focus on the routine. AB can probably help him in that regard as well. But I absolutely love this guy. On top of everything else, he's a good blocker and excels in special teams coverage.
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 3:59 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Forget about the dropped balls for now. I watch a ton of SEC football and I hate the Auburn Tigers, so I had plenty of weekends pissed that Coats was making big plays. His drops were on shorter, routine routes. Honestly, I just can't remember one drop he made during a deep throw in a big game. I'm sure someone can produce a clip to prove me wrong, but my point is he is great in big games at the critical time. He'll just have to be coached to focus on the routine. AB can probably help him in that regard as well. But I absolutely love this guy. On top of everything else, he's a good blocker and excels in special teams coverage.

The way he adjusts to the throw on deep balls is absolutely beautiful. He's a deep threat not just because of his speed and big plays, but unlike Mike Wallace who would only make catches if the ball was placed perfectly and he had separation, Coates will go out of his way and do everything possible to adjust to the throw and make the catch. And he without a doubt always seemed to come through with those big catches when he was needed most.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Plus, and this is a BIG plus, the Steelers FO deserves some trust when it comes to picking WRs lately. They have a lot of equity in my book.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Exactly Phantom. But it's not only the deep throws ... Coats took some underneath throws the distance. Seems when he gets the ball in his hands he's looking to score. Wallace was only looking to outrun guys. If that didn't happen he was trying not to get hurt. Coats is much tougher and runs through those arm-tackles.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Steelers believe Auburn WR Coates is a catch

May 3, 2015
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The knock against receiver Sammie Coates, who lasted until the third round of the NFL draft despite impressive size, speed and strength, is he dropped the ball too often during his career at Auburn.

Fortunately for the Tigers, he didn’t drop it when it counted.

to read more:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/03/coates-profile-for-sunday/stories/201505030185
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 11:11 pm

WarBlogle.com ‏@WarBlogle May 1 -

Sammie Coates threw multiple no-hitters in high school, including a playoff game where he also hit a grand slam. No joke. #auburn #steelers

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 11:19 pm

the more first hand accounts I read of people who have watched him play, the more I like him. He was knocked down the draft board for his 19 percent drop rate. But to look at it a different way he drop only 8 out of 72 attempts.

That's less than 1 drop per game. I think he can improve on that. We've definitely seen worse.

. .
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptySun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
the more first hand accounts I read of people who have watched him play, the more I like him. He was knocked down the draft board for his 19 percent drop rate. But to look at it a different way he drop only 8 out of 72 attempts.

That's less than 1 drop per game.  I think he can improve on that.  We've definitely seen worse.

it's 19 per 100 or 8.5 per 50 attempts. 8 out of 72 is 11.1%

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 12:24 am

Lol, come on Vis, don't let mathematics stand between you and a feel good moment! Otherwise, 50% of the time you will be 75% wrong.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 12:49 am

I think gil Brandts report had him at 19%.

The other one I saw/ heard (I think during the broadcast) was 11% or 8/72 (both were quoted).

Either way it is a "stat" about as subjective as ray lewis tackle totals. Definitely not something I am hung up on or worried about.

Mike Wallace averaged two drops per game. Dez Bryant showed he can drop a ball. Jerry rice was plagued with drops his first season.

KEEP CALM AND LIMAS SWEEEEED!!!

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:56 am

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 CD-PwhkVAAAQCl7
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 11:30 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
This is a true BPA pick... Just imagine all the plays last year where you got upset that DHB or Lance Moore were in the game and missing a catch.  No more.  AB and Bryant on the outside with Wheaton and Coates in the slot?  I'm drooling already.

^^^ THIS!!!

While Cleveland and Cincinnati add more corners and try to beef up the defense, we counter with bolstering the offense. Not to mention Baltimore didn't address their secondary woes while losing Ngata and trying to replace players on offense.

Coates is insurance if one of our top 3 gets hurt. Not only imagining a 4 WR set, but even a 5 with DHB, or try figuring out who to cover if and when Bell, maybe even Archer, are in the backfield. That's going to cause matchup nightmares, and if we run no-huddle, LOOK OUT.

http://steelcityunderground.com
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:33 pm

maybe we selected Coates for the same reason the Bills traded 2 first round picks for Sammy Watkins-

Quote :
Coates’ computer-generated player comparison was Sammy Watkins of Buffalo.

MAYOCK: “I think Watkins is a little more explosive and Coates a little more smooth. Watkins is a little more twitchy, Coates a little more of a long strider.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-Combine-peek-at-Class-of-2015/1722334a-aff7-4220-a915-ddcca2a6b5cb

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Sammie Coates Brings Needed Depth To Crucial WR Position

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/sammie-coates-brings-needed-depth-to-crucial-wr-position/

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0 on Mon May 04, 2015 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...l-wr-position/

Page not found?

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 2:59 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/sammie-coates-brings-needed-depth-to-crucial-wr-position/

Page not found?

sorry:

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Page not found?

Page found. Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 2573146105

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
HeinzMustard

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyMon May 04, 2015 3:22 pm

I liked every pick in this draft except for rounds 2 and 3. The Steelers didn't need a WR that early in the draft. I hope everything is OK with AB, Wheaton and Bryant.... because this pick makes me think something is wrong behind the scenes with one of these guys. With that said... I hope Golson and Coates make a fool out of me and become major contributors to the Steelers team.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 7:56 am

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations

Reading his story and Dupree's one. It seems the Steelers do not only focus on drafting good players, but also good people. (No surprise)
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 12:20 pm

HeinzMustard wrote:
I liked every pick in this draft except for rounds 2 and 3.  The Steelers didn't need a WR that early in the draft.  I hope everything is OK with AB, Wheaton and Bryant.... because this pick makes me think something is wrong behind the scenes with one of these guys.  With that said... I hope Golson and Coates make a fool out of me and become major contributors to the Steelers team.  

Nothing wrong. AB is here for 3 more seasons. Wheaton has 2 left. Bryant is a 4 year rookie deal, and is here as long as AB. Sounds like if we exceed expectations and win a Super Bowl in the next two years, the roster could get raided a la Baltimore. Coates could be some insurance for future free agency, aside from the matchup nightmares, formations and also injury insurance he provides.

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 12:38 pm

HeinzMustard wrote:
I liked every pick in this draft except for rounds 2 and 3.  The Steelers didn't need a WR that early in the draft.  I hope everything is OK with AB, Wheaton and Bryant.... because this pick makes me think something is wrong behind the scenes with one of these guys.  With that said... I hope Golson and Coates make a fool out of me and become major contributors to the Steelers team.  

Let's say something happens to any of the top 3 receivers, like an injury. Do you really want DHB as your top backup? Not me. Also, they have to think about Wheaton coming in to a contract year next year ... and some day AB and his contract. Best to have this guy now, learning the system and getting up to speed. As Steelers fans have heard the past few years, this is a pass happy league and you can never have enough cornerbacks receivers.

I honestly think this was the guy at the top of their board at that point in the draft.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Or I could have said  Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 3964572787 to SteelCity's post.

One more point on Coats, the guy is tough and I suspect will be the best blocking WR in the run game. Just show him a few clips of Hines Ward taking out Ed Reed and see what the kid does with it.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

LOL...

Not to mention I'm still not highly critical of taking Dri Archer. At that point they had Blount as a backup and Archer offers a different dynamic. Everyone will say he's small, injured, etc. Let's not forget, Emmanuel Sanders took a few years to get out there and be the player he is now. His first few years were full of miscellaneous injuries and he was starting to get labeled a "bust" then too.

Sanders is 5-10 180. Archer is 5-8 173.

Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 11:04 pm

In good hands: Newest Steeler Sammie Coates has so much to offer

Sammie Coates has an idea. At some point, with a chunk of the NFL money he is bound to make because he is fast (a 4.43-second 40 at the combine), explosive (41-inch vertical jump), strong enough to toss a jamming cornerback onto the sideline (23 bench-press reps at 225 pounds, best among receivers) and proficient enough at catching footballs, Coates wants to start an organization. He wants to reach into communities like Leroy, Ala., the no-stoplight dot-on-a-map where he spent his formative years, and he wants to help kids who've lost a parent. The former Auburn receiver lost his father in November 2003, when Sammie was 10 and in fifth grade. Sammie Coates Sr. was killed in a car crash while driving to one of his two jobs, but his son also understands that some parents disappear without leaving this mortal coil. He wants to help those kids as well.

Foremost, Coates, 21, wants to tell kids, It's going to be O.K. He wants them to know that they can do great things. After his father died, he didn't have anyone to offer such assurance. He wants those lost souls to know that they can build their own lives, piece by piece. They need only follow his advice.

1. Find a friend; make him a brother

to read rest of story:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
In good hands: Newest Steeler Sammie Coates has so much to offer

Sammie Coates has an idea. At some point, with a chunk of the NFL money he is bound to make because he is fast (a 4.43-second 40 at the combine), explosive (41-inch vertical jump), strong enough to toss a jamming cornerback onto the sideline (23 bench-press reps at 225 pounds, best among receivers) and proficient enough at catching footballs, Coates wants to start an organization. He wants to reach into communities like Leroy, Ala., the no-stoplight dot-on-a-map where he spent his formative years, and he wants to help kids who've lost a parent. The former Auburn receiver lost his father in November 2003, when Sammie was 10 and in fifth grade. Sammie Coates Sr. was killed in a car crash while driving to one of his two jobs, but his son also understands that some parents disappear without leaving this mortal coil. He wants to help those kids as well.

Foremost, Coates, 21, wants to tell kids, It's going to be O.K. He wants them to know that they can do great things. After his father died, he didn't have anyone to offer such assurance. He wants those lost souls to know that they can build their own lives, piece by piece. They need only follow his advice.

1. Find a friend; make him a brother

to read rest of story:

He sounds like a great kid. Bud too. I am sure the other six are great guys too but I really like reading these kind of things about Bud and Sammie because character counts for something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates   Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers draft Auburn receiver Sammie Coates
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next