Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+45
Steeler-in-west
BKAnthem
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
JPPT1974
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stryker
schillah
steelerdude15
Atlanta Dan
lotas
ImperialFan
marvology
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
HeinzMustard
DesertSteel
tony hipchest
jak341
Chaotic Zen
SteelerFreak58
Craziaskowboi
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerSpartan
steelcityboyz
steelersrush
Wallace108
Stella Nation
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
ETL
steelcrazy
pczach
harrison'samonster
steelstoned1972
Buddha Bus
fer69
vasteeler
Lokki
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 11:24 am

DesertSteel wrote:
[
I like to give you a hard time about Jones being a bust, but I was happy to finally see him have an impact on a game (not just a random fluke sack). I hope he can build on it and shed the bust status.

You're not alone. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 1797695198

I'm encouraged by what he showed against the Chargers. If he continues to build on performances like that, he can develop into a good rotational player for this team. As Gonzo has said, he may never be Batman, but he could be a great piece to have on this team.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 11:56 am

[quote="SteelersCanada"]
DesertSteel wrote:
As Gonzo has said, he may never be Batman, but he could be a great piece to have on this team.
I'd be happy with Robin.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 1:46 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:
DesertSteel wrote:
As Gonzo has said, he may never be Batman, but he could be a great piece to have on this team.
I'd be happy with Robin.

Yes, me too. Sadly he isn't even Alfred the butler right now.

I think we need to understand that Jones faced backup Chris Hairston and then Joe Barksdale when Hairston went down. Facing the Chargers #2 and #3 options at LT and all he could muster in the pass rush was a bull rush. We pretty much have to face that he will never get the edge on any decent LT's in the NFL, because he hasn't yet developed 1 good pass rush move, let alone a counter to that.

Against the run, he is stronger than he was in year 1 for sure, but still not somebody that locks down the edge and is able to lock out against a blocker or shed to make the tackle very well. He's a good football player that plays with a good motor and leverage, but doesn't have the quickness or explosiveness to be an impact player, but shows well against the 2nd and 3rd stringers he faces. Joe Barksdale is no Joe Thomas or Joe Staley. If he dominates Veldheer this weekend, then he will have shown real progress.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 2:06 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
DesertSteel wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:
DesertSteel wrote:
I'd be happy with Robin.

Yes, me too.  Sadly he isn't even Alfred the butler right now.

I think we need to understand that Jones faced backup Chris Hairston and then Joe Barksdale when Hairston went down.  Facing the Chargers #2 and #3 options at LT and all he could muster in the pass rush was a bull rush.  We pretty much have to face that he will never get the edge on any decent LT's in the NFL, because he hasn't yet developed 1 good pass rush move, let alone a counter to that.

Against the run, he is stronger than he was in year 1 for sure, but still not somebody that locks down the edge and is able to lock out against a blocker or shed to make the tackle very well.  He's a good football player that plays with a good motor and leverage, but doesn't have the quickness or explosiveness to be an impact player, but shows well against the 2nd and 3rd stringers he faces.  Joe Barksdale is no Joe Thomas or Joe Staley.  If he dominates Veldheer this weekend, then he will have shown real progress.

Still............... we'll take what we can get It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 512807920
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 3:36 pm

DC Keith Butler Not Ready To Say LB Jarvis Jones ' Has Turned The Corner'

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-dc-keith-butler-not-ready-to-say-lb-jarvis-jones-has-turned-the-corner/
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 4:49 pm

3 games in a row...... that's about how I feel. When he does that I'll stop calling him a bust.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Adam Illfelder @adamill
@Steelersdepot @Alex_Kozora what happens if Jarvis can't go? 3 man rotation for 2 OLB spots?

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora
Jarvis' doesn't sound too serious. So think he goes. Deebo will play most snaps at ROLB. Chickillo active, too.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Steelers notebook: Jarvis Jones says, 'You can't make it about yourself'

October 30, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In eight months, the Steelers have to decide if they want to allocate $8 million or more to Jarvis Jones. That’s how much it will likely take to pick up the fifth-year option on Jones’ rookie contract.

Unless the Steelers already have made their decision, they don’t seem in a hurry to find out if Jones is worthy of a second contract. A first-round pick in 2013, Jones is starting but splitting time with 37-year old James Harrison at right outside linebacker.

Jones wanted to prove his worth this season, but he is sitting on one sack near the midway point. He has one other quarterback pressure, one forced fumble and 17 tackles.

“That’s definitely my goal, for them to pick up my option, but I still have to produce,” Jones said Thursday afternoon. “I can’t worry about situations that are keeping me from doing what I have to do. I just have to take advantage of my opportunities when I’m out there.

”That’s the best way I can look at it. I can’t think of stuff like ‘I’m not getting enough reps to do this or do that.’ I just have to take advantage of my opportunities when I’m out there, and that’s something I have to do better.”

Harrison has 23 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. In the spring, it appeared Jones would get plenty of opportunities to prove he could live up to his first-round hype. Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said Harrison would play 25 snaps per game, leaving Jones with the rest.

But through seven games, Harrison has played 308 snaps while Jones has played only 228, or 57 percent of the team’s defensive snaps compared to Jones’ 37 percent. Jones missed one game with a hip injury while Harrison has played in all seven.

“You always want more snaps, or all of them if you can get them, but it’s a team game,” Jones said. “We each have a role to play right now. It’s helping us as a defense. I think coach Porter, myself and the rest of the guys are doing a great job. You can’t make it about yourself. It’s going to take all of us to win. Everyone is playing well right now, and we’re just going to try to build on it.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/30/Steelers-notebook-Jarvis-Jones-You-can-t-make-it-about-yourself/stories/201510300163
Back to top Go down
marvology
Xtreme Newb
marvology

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/30/Steelers-notebook-Jarvis-Jones-You-can-t-make-it-about-yourself/stories/201510300163

Sounds line he's deftly diverting blame for his lack of production on playing time.

Last edited by marvology on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.marvbook.com
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:26 pm

marvology wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Sounds line he's deftly avoiding diverting blame for his lack of production on playing time.

he's hoping the Steelers pick up his 5th year option next season for $8 million.

no way in hell that's gonna happen...
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:41 pm

I dont want Jarvis Jones anymore, this is his 3rd season and he isnt doing squat and hes never healthy. Time to cut our losses.

lotas

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 2:48 pm

marvology wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Sounds line he's deftly avoiding diverting blame for his lack of production on playing time.
I heavily got this vibe from him as well. He's preaching about not making excuses while quietly making excuses. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 2913999526

Sorry man, but you gotta go. 37 year old James Harrison is showing up a 1st round draft pick? That's called a bust. Tally another behind Ziggy Hood and move on.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
marvology wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

he's hoping the Steelers pick up his 5th year option next season for $8 million.

no way in hell that's gonna happen...

Yes!!! $2M per career sack! It's good money if you can et it...
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Is Jarvis Jones a First Round Talent?

NFL Network Video here. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000156875/Is-Jarvis-Jones-a-first-round-talent
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 9:14 am

Let him walk.  
That one play from the KC game where he came running towards the sideline from the opposite side of the field and had a sure tackle of a RB to hold him to a minimal gain but bounces off the RB and spins himself wildly to the ground while the RB goes on to make a large gain, says it all about him as a productive LB in the NFL.  No
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Dan: Based on his play where should Jarvis Jones have been drafted? 6th round?

Gerry Dulac: Easy to say now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-28-15/stories/201510280178
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 4:02 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
Let him walk.  
That one play from the KC game where he came running towards the sideline from the opposite side of the field and had a sure tackle of a RB to hold him to a minimal gain but bounces off the RB and spins himself wildly to the ground while the RB goes on to make a large gain, says it all about him as a productive LB in the NFL.  No

My face Mimicked and went through about 50 different "disgusted"reaction gifs that you would see on the Internet.....when that play happened. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 1505004552

SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 11:02 am

A little off topic, but it's amazing how poorly the 2013 edge rush class has turned out. Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, and Bjorn Werner have all been massive disappointments. Ziggy Ansah has been a quality player thus far for the Lions and remains the only edge player in the first round that has shown consistent ability.

It doesn't take the sting out of Jones' disappointments thus far, but put in proper context, the pick doesn't seem that bad any longer.

Bell being taken in the next round also helps. A lot.

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 1:06 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
A little off topic, but it's amazing how poorly the 2013 edge rush class has turned out. Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, and Bjorn Werner have all been massive disappointments. Ziggy Ansah has been a quality player thus far for the Lions and remains the only edge player in the first round that has shown consistent ability.

It doesn't take the sting out of Jones' disappointments thus far, but put in proper context, the pick doesn't seem that bad any longer.

Yeah, that wasn't a strong class for pass rushers at the top. I liked Ansah, and was intrigued by Jordon with his athleticism and speed, but not as high as he was rated by most. It just goes to show how GMs and football franchises in general overrate players at a position of need and are willing to reach. There's a lot of pressure in those rooms, and there are positions on the field that are just more important than others. I hope they learned their lesson with this stuff.

I'm of the opinion that that particular draft class of pass rushers is a red flag to pro football that small, athletic, quick edge guys can't always transfer the dominant athleticism and production they show in college. They get physically manhandled when the step up to pro competition and encounter OTs that are much bigger, stronger, and faster, and are easily able to neutralize their abilities at the next level.

I've always preferred naturally bigger, heavier players....especially light DEs that are able to convert to 3-4 LBs. They already have the physical strength required for the job, and seem to be able to naturally hold up better against the run while they work on pass rush moves and playing in space.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:20 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I still was more wanting Matt Elam to be taken instead of Jones on draft day, but he hasn't exactly turned out to be all that Teegre made him out to be. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 10:54 am

I was a Jones supporter for a long time but TBH I don't see him flashing any ability like Dupree does.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
I was a Jones supporter for a long time but TBH I don't see him flashing any ability like Dupree does.

didn't you see Jarvis Jones' .5 sack yesterday? It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 1797695198
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:32 pm

Jones has 0.5 more career sacks than Dupree at this point.

Yikes.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Dupree is going to be a force

Jones is going to be wearing new colors next fall
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 11:08 am

SteelersCanada wrote:
Jones has 0.5 more career sacks than Dupree at this point.

Yikes.

The talent level between the two is definitely obvious. I know Dupree isn't ready to be a starter yet since he's green, but that ability he flashes makes me think that once he gets the mental game down he will be a monster. How quickly he ran down dalton on his sack was just scary fast. If he beats his man, qb's don't stand a chance getting away from him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next