Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+45
Steeler-in-west
BKAnthem
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
JPPT1974
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stryker
schillah
steelerdude15
Atlanta Dan
lotas
ImperialFan
marvology
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
HeinzMustard
DesertSteel
tony hipchest
jak341
Chaotic Zen
SteelerFreak58
Craziaskowboi
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerSpartan
steelcityboyz
steelersrush
Wallace108
Stella Nation
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
ETL
steelcrazy
pczach
harrison'samonster
steelstoned1972
Buddha Bus
fer69
vasteeler
Lokki
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 2:02 pm

On the Steelers: Coaches looking for more from young outside linebackers

August 26, 2016
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEW ORLEANS — Linebackers Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree are supposed to leave the field less often this year. Trouble is, they have not been able to get on the field.

Dupree, the Steelers’ first-round draft pick last year, has not practiced much and still will not play in the third preseason game at 8 tonight against the New Orleans Saints.

Jones, the Steelers’ first-round draft pick in 2013, should make his 2016 debut at right outside linebacker. He practiced the past week for the first time in a while.

The franchise invested plenty into the pair, each a starter on the outside last season, although Dupree had to wait until later in the year; he started five games and two more in the playoffs. Defensive coordinator Keith Butler rotated the two with veterans James Harrison and Arthur Moats. Harrison, now 38, played more snaps than any of them in 2015.

Both Butler and Joey Porter, who coaches their outside linebackers, say they want Dupree and Jones to stay in the lineup more often this season and not rotate with the other two as much, provided they are healthy — and producing

“Whether they played in the first two preseason games, those 15-20 snaps they miss won’t bother me,” Porter said, “because they’re getting in condition and doing work on the field that will get them ready. Give me them healthy during the season, that’s what matters to me.”

The two represent the Steelers’ only first-round draft picks at outside linebacker since they picked Huey Richardson in 1991.

Dupree has been dealing with a nagging groin injury that stretches to the early days of training camp. He had four sacks in his rookie season.

“It’s very frustrating,” Dupree acknowledged. “But I just have to keep plugging day by day, week by week and see how everything turns out. I wish I could be ready for this week but in reality I have to let my body heal and try to be ready for the season.”

Jones, who has just five sacks in his first three seasons, also is itching to go.

“I definitely want to get in, run around a little bit before anything gets too serious. Yes, it’s important; it’s important to us, it’s important to our coaches. You want to get together and run around against different opponents other than our practicing. During practices, we know each other’s habits. During a game, you have to read your keys and play your techniques. That’s what our coaches want to see.”

They would like to see more production from the two as well. Porter predicted earlier that both could get at least 10 sacks this season. He did not seem concerned about their lost practice and exhibition game time.

“Mentally, they know everything they need to do. Physically, they ran into some stuff they have to get done. This is a long season. I’d rather them run into it now than the [regular] season.”

Jones’ second season in the league practically was wiped out after he severely injured his wrist in the third game. The wrist required surgery, and he hardly played after that. Dupree made it through his rookie season without a serious injury and says this is the first time he has dealt with a groin injury, going back to his days at the University of Kentucky when he rarely missed a practice and started in 37 consecutive games. He played in all 16 games as a rookie with the Steelers. Although not yet a starter, he had a sack in each of his first two games.

“I never got hurt,” Dupree said. “It’s very frustrating to get all the way here and then get injured. I’m trying to stay in shape, stay in the weight room, do what they ask me to do.”

What they would like to see him do is ring up 10-12 sacks when things count, and for Jones to match it. Jones was off to a fast start in 2014 with two sacks and a forced fumble before the wrist injury. He had just two more sacks last season.

Porter has acknowledged that this is a big year for Jones after the Steelers chose not to exercise the option for a fifth year on his rookie contract. He will become an unrestricted free agent if they do not sign him before March.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/26/On-the-Steelers-Coaches-looking-for-more-from-young-outside-linebackers/stories/201608260138
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 4:25 pm

What is the over/under on sacks for Jarvis Jones this season?? I am guessing he gets 3.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 5:44 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
What is the over/under on sacks for Jarvis Jones this season??  I am guessing he gets 3.

If he doesn't get 12-13, he is a goner.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Keith Butler: "This needs to be a good year for Jarvis."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/keith-butler-big-year-jarvis-jones/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Tomlin: ‘Jarvis Has Played Well For Us’

BY DAVE BRYAN
SEPTEMBER 20, 2016

In the Pittsburgh Steelers first two games of the 2016 regular season, fourth-year linebacker Jarvis Jones has played nearly 74% of all defensive snaps. Nearly half of those 99 snaps have featured Jones lining up somewhere on the left side of the defense and on Tuesday, head coach Mike Tomlin was asked to explain the reasoning behind that.

“Jarvis has played well for us and we want to find ways to continue to allow him to play even as we rotate others in,” said Tomlin. “So he’s been the guy that we’ve identified that’s capable of playing on either side and its just simply that.”

In the Steelers first two regular season games, Jones, who is now in the final year of his rookie contract after the Steelers decided not to pick up his fifth-year option during the offseason, has recorded 8 total tackles. 5 have come on running plays with the other 3 coming after pass receptions.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/tomlin-jarvis-played-well-us/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 11:16 pm

Steelers Demote OLB Jarvis Jones

BY ALEX KOZORA NOVEMBER 16, 2016

I don’t think it’s fair to classify it as a benching but Jarvis Jones’ starting role has been taken away by James Harrison. Dale Lolley tweeted out the news from Jones himself a short time ago. It will be Harrison who starts Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Jones had been the starter all season at ROLB. Now, it will be Harrison who starts though it’s still expected the team will typically rotate the four on an every-other series basis.

Anthony Chickillo saw a similar ascension earlier this year when he passed up Arthur Moats as the starting LOLB. As Lolley points out, the “first line” at outside linebacker will now be Chickillo and Harrison with Moats and Jones on the second line.

Jones hasn’t played terribly but he’s had a Jarvis Jones’ like season: solid against the run, a high effort player, but offering very little as a pass rusher. Harrison, in a vacuum, is the team’s best pass rusher at the position. He and Chickillo lead the position with, sigh, 2 and 2.5 sacks respectively. Moats has just 1.5 while Jones has been shut out through nine games.

In 45 career games, 34 starts, Jones has recorded just five sacks.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-demote-olb-jarvis-jones/
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 12:20 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers Demote OLB Jarvis Jones

BY ALEX KOZORA NOVEMBER 16, 2016

I don’t think it’s fair to classify it as a benching but Jarvis Jones’ starting role has been taken away by James Harrison. Dale Lolley tweeted out the news from Jones himself a short time ago. It will be Harrison who starts Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Jones had been the starter all season at ROLB. Now, it will be Harrison who starts though it’s still expected the team will typically rotate the four on an every-other series basis.

Anthony Chickillo saw a similar ascension earlier this year when he passed up Arthur Moats as the starting LOLB. As Lolley points out, the “first line” at outside linebacker will now be Chickillo and Harrison with Moats and Jones on the second line.

Jones hasn’t played terribly but he’s had a Jarvis Jones’ like season: solid against the run, a high effort player, but offering very little as a pass rusher. Harrison, in a vacuum, is the team’s best pass rusher at the position. He and Chickillo lead the position with, sigh, 2 and 2.5 sacks respectively. Moats has just 1.5 while Jones has been shut out through nine games.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-demote-olb-jarvis-jones/

it is time to start last good pass rushing OLB here is to a strong finish.

as of right now the Steelers don't have the quality NT or the OLBs for their base 3-4 defense.

I don't blame Butler this years defense he doesn't the quality players to run a 3-4 or a 4-3 front.

Think this will be another defensive heavy draft and will be interesting if the Steelers draft for a 3-4 or a 4-3 defensive front.

Imo college's are producing 4-3 front defensive players that can be had in the later rounds. simpifly the Steelers base defense for more geared passing NFL offensives.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 1:43 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

/

Yeah, but they asked him to drop in pass coverage a lot of those games. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 2800024739
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 3:16 am

Well Joey Porter is no shrinking violet. When it does come to the issues.

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14