Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin

Go down 
+31
Atlanta Dan
JPPT1974
Lokki
SteelersYak
SteelerFreak58
Drizztbob
FrancoLambert
EbonySteel86
Master_Of_Puppets
SteelCityUnderground
SoCalFan
kirklandrules
Stella Nation
teegre
ImperialFan
harrison'samonster
OX1947
vasteeler
PhantomJB93
Fire Arians
BlackAndGold
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
kan_t
jak341
effyou515
pczach
El-Gonzo Jackson
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelerSpartan
Bane
tony hipchest
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 5:16 pm

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 3135543967 Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 3135543967 Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 3135543967

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Eh, I get the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" argument, but surely there is room for him to get more snaps than he has.  There is a middle ground to be found between straight up replacing Gay/Blake/Cockrell with him rotating him into the defense more without diminishing the roles of those other guys.  And certainly, somebody with Boykin's proven production and who we traded a pick for one season of warrants finding that middle ground.

There has to be something else at play here.
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 10:10 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Eh, I get the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" argument, but surely there is room for him to get more snaps than he has.  There is a middle ground to be found between straight up replacing Gay/Blake/Cockrell with him rotating him into the defense more without diminishing the roles of those other guys.  And certainly, somebody with Boykin's proven production and who we traded a pick for one season of warrants finding that middle ground.

There has to be something else at play here.
I agree! Makes no sense that he's not getting ANY playing time.
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers coach explains Brandon Boykin's limited role on defense

Bryan DeArdo - Nov 19

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 6_4031570

On Thursday, defensive backs coach Carnell Lake detailed the reason for Brandon Boykin's limited play this season.

Acquired from Philadelphia this past offseason for a fourth or five round draft pick (Boykin will have to play in at least 60 percent of the team's defensive snaps for the team to surrender a fourth round pick), Boykin has seen little playing time this season, making just six tackles with one pass defensed.

When asked what would need to happen for Boykin to have a more expanded role on the defense, Lake said: "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now. I have faith and confidence that he can play. It's just that we're doing OK."

Boykin's lack of playing time has been a hot button topic all season, especially during the secondary's struggles defending the pass. But despite being 27th in the league in pass defense, the Steelers are fifth in points allowed, as the secondary has continued to make opportunistic plays despite giving up a bevy of yards through the air.

Acquired to add depth to the secondary that was facing question marks this past offseason that included the departures of Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu, Lake and the rest of the Steelers' coaching brass must feel that Pittsburgh's cornerbacks, specifically Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell, are playing well enough that Boykin's services are not needed at this time.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-coach-explains-Brandon-Boykins-limited-role-on-defense-41210924
Antonio Brown said Boykin was the best CB on the team, now he sucks? Really???? 27th against the pass, and everybody's OK with this? Am I missing something?????
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 8:30 am

It's a little baffling. Cortez Allen was just horrible beyond belief, and they kept trotting him out there in a limited role over an extended period of time.

I just don't understand why they don't work him into the mix more, even just to rotate him in to keep guys fresh once and a while. It's not like Blake is playing at a high level at the cornerback position. He is consistently beaten, and he also makes a lot of mental mistakes.

Again, it's a real head-scratcher. I don't care how well you support the run. The main job of a cornerback is to prevent receivers from catching balls and limiting yards. He has not done that very well this year.

There's probably more to this than we know.

Of course with injury he's one play from getting on the field. They may need him this year whether they want him on the field or not.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 10:22 am

EbonySteel86 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers coach explains Brandon Boykin's limited role on defense

Bryan DeArdo - Nov 19

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 6_4031570

On Thursday, defensive backs coach Carnell Lake detailed the reason for Brandon Boykin's limited play this season.

Acquired from Philadelphia this past offseason for a fourth or five round draft pick (Boykin will have to play in at least 60 percent of the team's defensive snaps for the team to surrender a fourth round pick), Boykin has seen little playing time this season, making just six tackles with one pass defensed.

When asked what would need to happen for Boykin to have a more expanded role on the defense, Lake said: "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now. I have faith and confidence that he can play. It's just that we're doing OK."

Boykin's lack of playing time has been a hot button topic all season, especially during the secondary's struggles defending the pass. But despite being 27th in the league in pass defense, the Steelers are fifth in points allowed, as the secondary has continued to make opportunistic plays despite giving up a bevy of yards through the air.

Acquired to add depth to the secondary that was facing question marks this past offseason that included the departures of Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu, Lake and the rest of the Steelers' coaching brass must feel that Pittsburgh's cornerbacks, specifically Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell, are playing well enough that Boykin's services are not needed at this time.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-coach-explains-Brandon-Boykins-limited-role-on-defense-41210924
Antonio Brown said Boykin was the best CB on the team, now he sucks? Really???? 27th against the pass, and everybody's OK with this? Am I missing something?????

Yes, they are 27th ranked secondary, but the defense only gives up points to the ranking of the 5th best defense in the NFL. This article likes to try and hide the crappy secondary play behind the defensive point total, which seems silly given all the other variables the go into keeping points off the board.

Its kind of like asking Mrs Lincoln..."other than the assassination, how did you like the play?"
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 10:39 am

Not sure on the exact #s when in the red zone but it seems that #27 ranking can be a bit misleading, as it is no secret the secondary gives up a ton of yards in between the 20s.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 1:12 pm

SoCalFan wrote:
Not sure on the exact #s when in the red zone but it seems that #27 ranking can be a bit misleading, as it is no secret the secondary gives up a ton of yards in between the 20s.

Which begs the simple question. Is it better to give up a lot of passing yards as secondary or better to not give up a lot of yards as a secondary?

I think the majority of Steeler fans will recognize that the secondary gives up a lot of yards. They recognize that Blake visually is one of the worst CB's in the NFL and statistically is one of the worst CB's in the NFL. A popular coaching mantra is..."if your aren't getting better, you are getting worse". If the coaches recognize they are not very good in the secondary and give up a lot of catches and yardage, then why not try to get better by getting a better player more reps???
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 2:31 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SoCalFan wrote:

Which begs the simple question. Is it better to give up a lot of passing yards as secondary or better to not give up a lot of yards as a secondary?

I think the majority of Steeler fans will recognize that the secondary gives up a lot of yards.  They recognize that Blake visually is one of the worst CB's in the NFL and statistically is one of the worst CB's in the NFL.  A popular coaching mantra is..."if your aren't getting better, you are getting worse".  If the coaches recognize they are not very good in the secondary and give up a lot of catches and yardage, then why not try to get better by getting a better player more reps???

I'm thinking there is more to this. A personality clash with Lake or something. Honestly the little I saw of Boykin in preseason I saw missed tackles. So one (Blake) can't cover and the other (Boykin) can't tackle.
It boils down to us looking corner or safety in round one or at least two next year.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 4:53 pm

solardave wrote:

It boils down to us looking corner or safety in round one or at least two next year.

I agree, I think we're an improved secondary away from making a serious Super Bowl run...
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 6:17 pm

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SoCalFan wrote:

I think the majority of Steeler fans will recognize that the secondary gives up a lot of yards.  They recognize that Blake visually is one of the worst CB's in the NFL and statistically is one of the worst CB's in the NFL.  A popular coaching mantra is..."if your aren't getting better, you are getting worse".  If the coaches recognize they are not very good in the secondary and give up a lot of catches and yardage, then why not try to get better by getting a better player more reps???

I'm thinking there is more to this. A personality clash with Lake or something. Honestly the little I saw of Boykin in preseason I saw missed tackles. So one (Blake) can't cover and the other (Boykin) can't tackle.

Safety, for sure. Unless they don't have much faith in Senquez. But Senquez is an all round athlete. He did turn down MLB to play football. That storyline reminds me of Deion. Not that the two are comparable, or even the same scenario, but still. Versatility is an intangible.

Still... We another CB should come off the board somewhere in the next draft. If not, FIRE COLBERT.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 12:21 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SoCalFan wrote:

Safety, for sure. Unless they don't have much faith in Senquez. But Senquez is an all round athlete. He did turn down MLB to play football. That storyline reminds me of Deion. Not that the two are comparable, or even the same scenario, but still. Versatility is an intangible.

Still... We another CB should come off the board somewhere in the next draft. If not, FIRE COLBERT.

I watched Golson quite a bit the week of Sr. Bowl and the Combine workouts. He is a very fluid athlete and natural hands catcher. Looks to be a much better cover corner than Blake, so if he can get healthy, he upgrades the secondary. Grant was more of a technician with a more solid build. He could convert to FS and Mitchell to SS, IMO. He could also earn a spot in nickel or dime coverage. Cockrell should be signed and they will choose either Gay or Blake to extend also.

I don't see any way that Boykin is in B&G next year. The fact he cant get a sniff of any playing time in a really crappy secondary, when he was one of the top slot corners the past couple seasons should aggravate him and he will not sign with the Steelers next season, if he or his agent has any sense.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Boykin is rated the 2nd highest Steelers CB by PFF behind Ross Cockrell:

1) Ross Cockrell 2.8
2) Brandon Boykin 0.4
3) William Gay -1.1
4) Cortez Allen -4.3
5) Antwon Blake -18.6
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 pm

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SoCalFan wrote:

Inability to tackle would make him a bad fit for our defense. In order to play bend but don't break you gotta be able to tackle the catch
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SoCalFan wrote:

Inability to tackle would make him a bad fit for our defense. In order to play bend but don't break you gotta be able to tackle the catch

Tackling the catch is good to a certain extent, but sitting your best cover corner and not giving him ANY playing time is crazy! We don't even know if he's THAT bad of a tackler, because he doesn't play. We needed a corner who could cover. That's what we brought him here for, and we don't play him AT ALL, cause he's not a good tackler? I know Philly wold take him back in a heart beat the way there defense is looking right now. Its more t9 this whole, "we're ok" BS Lake is feeding us.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

1) Ross Cockrell 2.8
2) Brandon Boykin 0.4
3) William Gay -1.1
4) Cortez Allen -4.3
5) Antwon Blake -18.6

Yes, but its a bit unfair. Blake is given more opportunity to be consistently bad and allow receptions in front of him. Everybody loves an underdog, but if you actually watch Blake in coverage, you see a lot of receptions allowed and tackles missed.

Lost in this shuffle is actually how well 2nd yr guy Cockrell is doing.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 3:32 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

1) Ross Cockrell 2.8
2) Brandon Boykin 0.4
3) William Gay -1.1
4) Cortez Allen -4.3
5) Antwon Blake -18.6

Yes, but its a bit unfair.  Blake is given more opportunity to be consistently bad and allow receptions in front of him.  Everybody loves an underdog, but if you actually watch Blake in coverage, you see a lot of receptions allowed and tackles missed.

Lost in this shuffle is actually how well 2nd yr guy Cockrell is doing.
Cockrell was a good find. Don't know why we don't see more of Boykin.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 pm

maybe it's a money thing?

less snaps played lower the draft pick the Steelers have to give up? and he likes it so much in Pittsburgh he won't be a hard resign?

he came from Philly. lol

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 pm

by Jim Wexell

Q: One spot that still makes people nervous is cornerback. We know Will Gay can play and Ross Cockrell seems like a real find. The Brandon Boykin and Antwon Blake situation still seems to be a question. Aren't people still complaining about that?

AM: Probably. You know, this guy -- and I'm talking about the head coach -- he impressed me early on as being a guy who really makes moves based on his available options. There's that Chris Rock thing about a married man's ability to stay faithful to his wife is directly related to his options. I think in coaching, you can't do things based on "Get him outta there." Who do I have to play instead? Or, he's not that bad but he's keeping this guy who's showing me more off the field. That was Boykin's problem. I mean, when he was brought here, it was all there for him. He was not impressive. And Blake? I mean, he drives fans crazy. I know that. Sometimes me too. But he's a tough guy. He's physical. He makes plays. "Ahhh, but he gives up a cushion." And then he returns one 70 yards against San Diego in a game you had to win, and he gives it to you. Picks off one in the end zone against the Bengals. And there's Cockrell. Boykin? He didn't stand out and these other guys, while they're playing every now and then they're doing this kind of stuff and that's good enough. They're just not going to replace a guy on the hope -- on the hope -- on the hope that this other guy's better. And what's really hurting him, I think, is Gay's so good as an inside slot guy, because that's who he's really competing with. He's not physical enough to play outside cornerback on this team. He's just not. Maybe that made it an iffy trade at the time, I don't know. I liked the trade when it was made. I'll be honest. Everyone now who was saying it was a bad trade, I didn't hear that back in August so I don't want to hear it now. But that's why he's not playing. And if Boykin was a bad move, you've got to give them credit for the Cockrell move, right? Boykin was early in August. We weren't at camp very long yet. I just think they were trying whatever they could try, throw as many bodies at it as you can and let them figure it out. It's OK. I think you can win with this defense, with this secondary, and, really, that's all that it's about.

Q: Do you ever wonder how they got Cockrell? How Doug Whaley let him go in the first round of cuts?

AM: I have no idea. I don't know enough about Buffalo's team. Who knows, maybe Rex doesn't like the kind of player that he is. I do know this though: There was an awareness, if I can use that word, an awareness (that) whenever there's a coaching change you watch that team's waiver wire because what this guy likes, that guy doesn't. Sometimes you can get some deals, some bargains, that way. But I don't know enough about Buffalo to give you a decent answer on that.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1616126-answer-man
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Cornerback Brandon Boykin was a limited participant in practice Wednesday, while every other player was a full participant, including James Harrison, Matt Spaeth, Martavis Bryant and Ryan Shazier.

http://triblive.com/mobile/9505039-96/pead-bailey-third?hideHeaders=Yes

That will move the point spread
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 4:52 pm

WTF????
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
[i]Cornerback Brandon Boykin was a limited participant in practice Wednesday.

That will move the point spread

in which direction? Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 1797695198
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 am

Well not a good thing over for BB as hope he can play.

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:07 am

The Eagles really seem to be thriving without Boykin. Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 3562723908

They can't cover anybody!

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 28, 2015 4:06 am

pczach wrote:
The Eagles really seem to be thriving without Boykin.  Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 3562723908

They can't cover anybody!

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 12310445_1032759290104092_4903268192834338282_n_zpszv9e1pzp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next