Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin

Go down 
+31
Atlanta Dan
JPPT1974
Lokki
SteelersYak
SteelerFreak58
Drizztbob
FrancoLambert
EbonySteel86
Master_Of_Puppets
SteelCityUnderground
SoCalFan
kirklandrules
Stella Nation
teegre
ImperialFan
harrison'samonster
OX1947
vasteeler
PhantomJB93
Fire Arians
BlackAndGold
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
kan_t
jak341
effyou515
pczach
El-Gonzo Jackson
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelerSpartan
Bane
tony hipchest
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 1:06 pm

kan_t wrote:
I really hope the Steelers would extend him before the season starts. Don't want to risk him leaving next season.

I wouldn't be against that. We already gave up a 5th (maybe 4th, which I honestly think he will play more than 60% of the snaps) round draft pick for him, I wouldn't want to give that up for just a 1 year band-aid fix.

By the sounds of training camp reports so far I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being #1 or #2 cb by the end of preseason. Boykin is a baller.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Why does Hawaii 5-0 have that Phillips one handed catch as his sig? Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 1647293567
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Boykin was the best DB on our team as soon as he stepped on the practice field. Sad thing is, it wasn't that hard to be. About time we addressed the CB position, SERIOUSLY!!!!
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 am

Does height matter? A short look at the Pittsburgh Steelers cornerbacks

By Dani Bostick

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 Usa-today-8311464.0

How tall do cornerbacks need to be? According to Chip Kelly, taller than Brandon Boykin. Is he on to something, or is it a myth that short guys cannot be effective in the secondary?

Senquez Golson is 5'9", 176 lbs. The rookie out of Mississippi is on PUP, but back in the spring, he generated a lot of distracting banter about his small stature after the Steelers drafted him in the second round. Also 5'9", Antwon Blake attended UTEP and was initially signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Picked up by the Steelers in 2013, last season was his most productive with 42 tackles, six passes defensed, and one interception.

Brandon Boykin is not tall either. At 5'10" 185 lbs, height was a huge factor in Boykin's ongoing drama with the Philadelphia Eagles before they eventually traded him to the Steelers last week. Given his performance in the first preseason game, it appears he is able to play effectively both in the slot and outside. 247 sports reported, "Kelly seemed to think Boykin was too short to play (outside) and kept him in the slot." CSNPhilly reported something similar in January: "The speculation has always been over his height. Since Chip Kelly's arrival as head coach, the Eagles have put an emphasis on taller, longer, more physical cornerbacks outside the numbers." A 2012 New York Times draft report addressed his height: "Brandon Boykin doesn't have great size. His height doesn't necessarily preclude him from playing outside but there's a solid chance he will start as and remain a nickel cornerback in the NFL."

Also 5'10" are Doran Grant, William Gay, and Kevin Fogg. Measuring taller are Cortez Allen at 6'1", B.W. Webb at 5'11", and Jordan Sullen at 6'0".

Does height matter at this position?

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015/8/11/9129119/does-height-matter-a-short-look-at-the-pittsburgh-steelers-cornerbacks
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 7:06 pm

Steelers' cornerback Boykin wondering when he'll take the field

September 14, 2015
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cornerback Brandon Boykin believes he will play more on defense for the Steelers Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field than he did Thursday night at New England.

Of course, if he plays one snap on defense, that would count as more.

“It’s the first time I can remember I never played” on defense, said Boykin, the Philadelphia Eagles’ No. 3 cornerback for his first three NFL seasons. “I’m sure they had a reason for that. I don’t know what it was. I’ll just take it in stride and go throughout the week and see what happens.”

The Steelers acquired Boykin from Philadelphia Aug. 1 for a 2016 fifth-round pick to bolster their secondary, and he reportedly was happy to leave the Eagles. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Boykin was displeased with his role as the third cornerback and was not a starter, saying it was “getting real old.”

He played not at all on defense in his first game with the Steelers, despite their secondary being a weak spot. Antwon Blake and William Gay started at cornerback, and  previously-demoted Cortez Allen entered when they used three. Boykin’s play was limited to special teams against New England. He said neither Mike Tomlin nor any assistant coach gave him an explanation.

“Anytime you play anywhere, you want to play more, or you want to play, just get on the field in general,” Boykin said after practice Monday. “That wasn’t the case last week. I don’t know why, I don’t know what the deal is or what the reason was for that. I can’t answer that. You guys have to ask coach Tomlin and the rest of the coaches about that.”

He said if it continues, he may have that conversation himself.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/14/Steelers-cornerback-Boykin/stories/201509140162
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Boykin is expected to play more this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/15251/expect-steelers-to-get-their-moneys-worth-from-brandon-boykin-trade

So, who is sliding down the depth chart? My thought is C. Allen.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 1:55 pm

playing more isnt saying much. a snap on special teams would be more
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 4:47 pm

He needs to be in the slot, period. Regardless if he gave some late preseason impression that hes not the guy. He's shown flashes that he can be a very good corner in the slot and considering his biggest gripe was not getting on the field in Philly,just let him play already
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:13 pm

Boykin should be playing instead of Blake. Heck, put Blake at a safety spot for all the good that Mike Mitchell does.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 6:11 pm

I seriously thought Boykin was brought in to start and thought he would be our best DB! Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 2829330259

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 8:27 pm

SoCalFan wrote:
I seriously thought Boykin was brought in to start and thought he would be our best DB! Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 2829330259

Don't feel bad. I don't think the coaches really know what to do with this secondary.

Why Boykin wasn't even tried in Blake's spot is a mystery to me.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 8:49 am

And now he's hurt...

tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

He is listed as probable. Cortez Allen is listed as questionable.

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Secondary looked better today still some issues but they looked better.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 12:47 am

patrick donovan @Pat_Jside
@Alex_Kozora alot of ppl think Boykin isn't playing to save an early draft pick. I believe it's more than that. What's your thoughts?

Alex Kozora Retweeted patrick donovan
That's too nefarious. They probably value him most in the slot. And Gay will always be the top slot corner.

Christian Dangerous @Christian_Gonzo
@Alex_Kozora Is Cockrells play making it harder for Boykin to get time?

Alex Kozora Retweeted Christian Dangerous
Absolutely. Team isn't going to take Cockrell out of the lineup now.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 1:28 am

Bring back breaux, bro!

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Who is this Boykin guy?

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Cockrell is setting the world on fire

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
@Alex_Kozora alot of ppl think Boykin isn't playing to save an early draft pick. I believe it's more than that. What's your thoughts?

That's too nefarious. They probably value him most in the slot. And Gay will always be the top slot corner.

I saw somewhere today that disagreed with Kozora. Boykin is being held out due to the 5th rounder becoming a 4th rounder if he plays more than 60% of snaps per season. The writer felt that once that 60% mark was eclipsed, Boykin is in over Cockrell.

I can't find the link though.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 5:20 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Bring back breaux, bro!

Breaux is still playing for the Saints, bro...
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 5:23 pm

jak341 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

I saw somewhere today that disagreed with Kozora. Boykin is being held out due to the 5th rounder becoming a 4th rounder if he plays more than 60% of snaps per season. The writer felt that once that 60% mark was eclipsed, Boykin is in over Cockrell.

I can't find the link though.

How about Boykin over Blake and we just start Boykin and Cockrell, Cockrell made a couple heads up plays in thursdays game in IMO should be started until he loses his starting spot. Blake really hasnt planyed that well if anyone should be replaced its him, or Gay.

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Boykin this week- “I’m going to say I’m just going to do what they ask me to do. I trust God that I’m here for a reason. I’m not going to say anything negative. I just feel in my heart things will turn around.”

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-CB-Brandon-Boykin-discusses-lack-of-playing-time--40017624

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Boykin seems to be very positive.

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Play Gay until the wheels fall off because hes our best CB as it stands. Cockrell had a good game and could push the number two. Blake gets burnt on routes but gets back to the ball very well and is a good physical, hardnosed tackler that provides energy. While this may not be the best recipe in the cookbook, it works well with our one gap pass rush from Heyward and Tuitt. What we've been missing is Shazier protecting the middle of the field and making tackles laterally. Our defense, even our secondary, is no where near as bad as we were assuming it would be at this point. I think Shazier is the key part of coverage woes. Boykin isnt seeing play time because our secondary is doing well enough, and will be even better with Shazier. So why not potentially save that draft pick, devalue him to other teams by not providing headhunters with much 2015 footage, and then resign him at a modest cost and guarantee is future as our slot guy (as Gay may eventually decline) 2016 and beyond. Could work.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 7:43 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Cortez Allen is listed as questionable.

he should be listed as questionable.

it's very questionable whether Cortez Allen will ever be an NFL caliber CB again...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next