Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin

Go down 
+31
Atlanta Dan
JPPT1974
Lokki
SteelersYak
SteelerFreak58
Drizztbob
FrancoLambert
EbonySteel86
Master_Of_Puppets
SteelCityUnderground
SoCalFan
kirklandrules
Stella Nation
teegre
ImperialFan
harrison'samonster
OX1947
vasteeler
PhantomJB93
Fire Arians
BlackAndGold
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
kan_t
jak341
effyou515
pczach
El-Gonzo Jackson
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SteelerSpartan
Bane
tony hipchest
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 4:35 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:
Cortez Allen is listed as questionable.

he should be listed as questionable.

it's very questionable whether Cortez Allen will ever be an NFL caliber CB again...

Won't be shocked if Cortez goes on IR(knee) to make room for Bryant.

Doubt he'll be on the roster next season.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 am

JPPT1974 wrote:
Boykin seems to be very positive.

Boykin this week- “I’m going to say I’m just going to do what they ask me to do. I trust God that I’m here for a reason. I’m not going to say anything negative. I just feel in my heart things will turn around.”

Boykin after week one - “I don’t really know what’s going on. I think it will kind of play out, it’s just Week 1.

“But I definitely intend on playing at some point and I think that will be a conversation I will have if it continues to go this route, but right now I don’t know what’s going on.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/14/Steelers-cornerback-Boykin/stories/201509140162

Sounds like he had his conversation with the coaches and the coaches told Boykin to STFU
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 10:48 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
JPPT1974 wrote:
Boykin seems to be very positive.

Boykin this week- “I’m going to say I’m just going to do what they ask me to do. I trust God that I’m here for a reason. I’m not going to say anything negative. I just feel in my heart things will turn around.”

Boykin after week one - “I don’t really know what’s going on. I think it will kind of play out, it’s just Week 1.

“But I definitely intend on playing at some point and I think that will be a conversation I will have if it continues to go this route, but right now I don’t know what’s going on.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/14/Steelers-cornerback-Boykin/stories/201509140162

Sounds like he had his conversation with the coaches and the coaches told Boykin to STFU

Perhaps something like this:

Tomlin: Look, we know you can play the slot. However, there is this clause where we have to give up a 4th if we play you 60% of the snaps. Team can't afford to do that, with the pick we gave up for that kicker.
Boykin: Coach T., I just want to play. I feel I beat out Allen.
Tomlin: You'll get in there. Keep grinding out in practice and once we get to game 6 or so, you're the man. Until then, keep your head down and keep giving it all.
Boykin: Right coach.
Tomin: Now get out of here.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 1:16 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
Play Gay until the wheels fall off because hes our best CB as it stands. Cockrell had a good game and could push the number two. Blake gets burnt on routes but gets back to the ball very well and is a good physical, hardnosed tackler that provides energy. While this may not be the best recipe in the cookbook, it works well with our one gap pass rush from Heyward and Tuitt. What we've been missing is Shazier protecting the middle of the field and making tackles laterally. Our defense, even our secondary, is no where near as bad as we were assuming it would be at this point. I think Shazier is the key part of coverage woes. Boykin isnt seeing play time because our secondary is doing well enough, and will be even better with Shazier. So why not potentially save that draft pick, devalue him to other teams by not providing headhunters with much 2015 footage, and then resign him at a modest cost and guarantee is future as our slot guy (as Gay may eventually decline) 2016 and beyond. Could work.

Yes. Just look at what happened with Brice McCain. I do believe this is what's happening with Boykin. Gay and Blake are both free agents next year (I think.) Cockrell is doing well. Cortez can likely be cut if he doesn't turn it around. Senquez will be back. This shakes out to be a very decent secondary that should only improve. We can then focus on safety for 2016.

http://steelcityunderground.com
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 2:17 pm

SteelCityUnderground wrote:
Play Gay until the wheels fall off because hes our best CB as it stands. Cockrell had a good game and could push the number two. Blake gets burnt on routes but gets back to the ball very well and is a good physical, hardnosed tackler that provides energy. While this may not be the best recipe in the cookbook, it works well with our one gap pass rush from Heyward and Tuitt. What we've been missing is Shazier protecting the middle of the field and making tackles laterally. Our defense, even our secondary, is no where near as bad as we were assuming it would be at this point. I think Shazier is the key part of coverage woes. Boykin isnt seeing play time because our secondary is doing well enough, and will be even better with Shazier. So why not potentially save that draft pick, devalue him to other teams by not providing headhunters with much 2015 footage, and then resign him at a modest cost and guarantee is future as our slot guy (as Gay may eventually decline) 2016 and beyond. Could work.

Yes. Just look at what happened with Brice McCain. I do believe this is what's happening with Boykin. Gay and Blake are both free agents next year (I think.) Cockrell is doing well. Cortez can likely be cut if he doesn't turn it around. Senquez will be back. This shakes out to be a very decent secondary that should only improve. We can then focus on safety for 2016.

One can only hope. Were due for drafting high at safety. After our first round OLB of course Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 1797695198
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 2:26 pm

One can only hope. Were due for drafting high at safety. After our first round OLB of course Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 1797695198

I say we draft a QB. Or do what the fantasy geniuses do and take a kicker. Never know, Ben and Suisham are hurt right now! (SMH)

Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 pm

BigD: Boykin was one of the best slot CBs in the NFL last year and now he can’t get on the field. Do you think he is displeased toward the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: I talked to him yesterday and he was not in as talkative mood as he was earlier in the season. Said he will just do what they ask him to do. I would guess he is not delighted with the situation. He thought coming here would be a breath of fresh air and he can't get on the field even as much as he did in Philly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/06/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-6-15/stories/201510060172
Back to top Go down
Bane
Xtreme Newb
Bane

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Some boner on Reddit claims he used to be a journalist and still has some of his inside sources and is claiming this is a snap count thing, due to the draft pick.

I'm a little more willing to believe it after the Scobee debacle. But I'm still not sure.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

By F. Dale Lolley October 21, 2015

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 AR-151029862

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive back Brandon Boykin (25) celebrates after getting the ball in the end zone after a Arizona Cardinals punt in the first quarter an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015 in Pittsburgh. The Arizona Cardinals got the ball on the two yard line. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

PITTSBURGH – Ask Steelers cornerback Brandon Boykin why he isn’t playing any defense for the team and he’s likely to ask the same question in reply.

Why isn’t he playing?

Boykin, acquired in a trade from Philadelphia one week into training camp by the Steelers for a fifth-round draft pick has logged just 12 defensive snaps all season, including none in the past three games.

“If I had the answers, you wouldn’t be asking me,” Boykin said. “I’d love to be playing, but it’s out of my control. I can’t come in every day with that type of attitude. I’ve got to continue to work and keep a positive mindset. At any moment, I could be in. I don’t make any type of decisions. I just roll with it and control my attitude and practice my butt off for whenever it is.”

He could get his shot Sunday when the Steelers (4-2) play at Kansas City (1-5).

Starter Antwon Blake has a thumb injury on his left hand that kept him out of practice Wednesday. His hand has been placed in a cast.

If Blake is unable to play, Boykin could see his most extensive action for the Steelers since Sept. 20 against San Francisco. In that game, the 5-9, 182-pound fourth-year cornerback was on the field for 11 defensive plays.

Boykin was acquired when second-round draft pick Senquez Golson arrived at training camp with a shoulder injury and placed on injured reserve.

Despite his experience, Boykin wasn’t the Steelers’ starting nickel cornerback, his primary role in the previous three seasons with the Eagles. That job went to Cortez Allen.

When Boykin didn’t play in the opener – the first time in his career that Boykin didn’t log a defensive snap in an NFL game – he approached the coaching staff about his status.

With Allen out against San Francisco with a knee issue, Boykin was in line for an increased role but he tweaked a muscle in his leg in a Monday practice. With Boykin hurting, Ross Cockrell, signed after being released by Buffalo, stepped into the nickel cornerback spot and hasn’t relinquished.

Boykin hasn’t spoken to the coaching staff again about his role.

“Not recently,” he said. “It’s not going to do me any good to keep sitting here, wondering. You can’t. It’s out of your control. If he were to say, ‘You’re going to play,’ and I was thinking about that all week and then I don’t play, that’s just maddening.”

Boykin’s lack of playing time also is befuddling for some fans. When the Steelers acquired Boykin, they touted his ball-hawking skills as a key addition to a pass defense that hadn’t recorded more than 11 interceptions in a season since 2010.

Boykin tied for second in the NFL in interceptions in 2013 with six and had been Philadelphia’s nickel cornerback since his rookie season.

to read rest of article:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151021/SPORTS0403/151029862/1264
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 2:46 pm

I still can't fathom that a guy who had 6 picks in 2013 isn't good enough to sniff the field with our secondary. One area that I have zero confidence in the coaching staff with is the evaluation of talent for game day. It's been proven over and over again that they sit guys who are better than the guys on the field.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Absolutely no reason he should be sitting behind Blake this week especially since Blake is wearing a cast.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 5:12 pm

I wish some people would read what the article says: Cockrell jumped Boykin in the lineup because Boykin was injured.

This is about as useful as arguing for Lance Moore last year when he was hurt all the time.

It was clear from day 1 that Gay was 1 starter and Cortez Allen would be no less than the nickel corner, due to his wealthy contract, the team would try to restore some faith in using him. Blake was a RFA and retained for this season, so ditto for him in a lesser aspect. Should one of them falter, Boykin could've stepped in: but he couldn't. He was hurt.

The next guy up has been unexpectedly good, so why would you yank him for the unknown? Not like they're going to sit Cockrell for Tez either.

DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 pm

WAS hurt at the time. He's no longer injured.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:09 am

Boykin is better than Blake, IMO. Its a long season and injuries happen, so Boykin should get his chance. I honestly hope he plays well and the Steelers extend his contract.

Boykin, Gay, Blake are all up for contracts and I can honestly see the Steelers giving contracts to 2 of those 3.

Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:40 am

Blake is a good tackler, he just can't cover his man. This really be a a snap count thing. I think cockrell earned his starter job but I think wasting tale t is just stupid.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 am

Really better be I mean

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Blake hits like a train. He has trouble covering sometimes, but he's equally as short as Boykin. I think some might break out the pitchforks and torches if they play Boykin and he's no better... or worse!

DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 2:35 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Boykin is better than Blake, IMO.  Its a long season and injuries happen, so Boykin should get his chance.  I honestly hope he plays well and the Steelers extend his contract.  

Boykin, Gay, Blake are all up for contracts and I can honestly see the Steelers giving contracts to 2 of those 3.  

Why in the world would Boykin resign with the Steelers? I'm sure he's counting the days until he can hit the market and get a fair shot at playing.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Brandon Boykin and Cortez Allen have been the Steelers' forgotten cornerbacks

By Chris Bradford cbradford@timesonline.com
Don Wright/AP file

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 54763cab64675.image

Cortez Allen deflects a pass intended for Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson in a 2014 game.

PITTSBURGH -- In terms of pedigree and experience, Cortez Allen and Brandon Boykin are both, as Mike Tomlin likes to say, "been-there, done-that" guys.

Lately, neither has done much nor been anywhere to be seen in the Steelers' secondary.

Allen has been out since Week 1 with a knee injury, the latest blow in a series of misadventures for the fifth-year pro.

Boykin, who the Steelers acquired in a late July trade from Philadelphia to sure up what was viewed as a depleted and largely inexperienced defensive backfield, has been the "Where's Waldo?" candidate of the team. He's taken just 12 defensive snaps, relegated to special teams contributor.

Needless to say, it's not where either figured to be in the Steelers' plans just seven weeks ago. Frustrated? You could say that.

"I try to stay positive all the time," Allen said. "You'll never really see me down because I'm a big picture guy. If I can't do something here, then somewhere else I can help or something I can do to help to be successful and I'll find that."

It remains uncertain if he'll ever find that in Pittsburgh. Same with Boykin.

to read rest of article:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/brandon-boykin-and-cortez-allen-have-been-the-steelers-forgotten/article_79bc6ffa-7904-11e5-acad-3f5ee1686490.html
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 1:52 am

Antwon Blake Injury Could Open Door For Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/antwon-blake-injury-could-open-door-for-brandon-boykin/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Brandon Boykin Still Believes He Can Help The Steelers

BY ALEX KOZORA OCTOBER 26, 2015

There has never been a more hotly debated #4 cornerback in Pittsburgh Steelers history. But after each week, my timeline floods with questions over where Brandon Boykin is at.

For the most part, the answer is “on the bench.” But with William Gay’s shoulder injury, the door may have opened for Boykin to see consistent snaps. For his part, he still believes he can make an impact on this team, per a tweet from Mark Kaboly.

Boykin said he is "1000 percent sure" he will do what he did the 3 years in Philly if he gets more snaps with gay's uncertainty

In those three years, Boykin played in 48 games, racking up 102 tackles and intercepting seven passes, six of which came in 2013.Gay has been the Steelers slot corner in nickel for the entire season. Boykin has served as his backup and would elevate to that role should Gay be unable to play Sunday afternoon against the Cincinnati Bengals. Yesterday, Boykin’s snaps came exclusively from the slot. Gay moved to the outside when Antwon Blake briefly left to be checked for a concussion and he replaced Gay after the veteran cornerback left late in the game.

Even including yesterday, Boykin has played on just 17 of 480 (3.5%) of the team’s snaps this year. That’s less than Cortez Allen (32) who hadn’t been active since Week One and has since been put on injured reserve.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10...-the-steelers/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Steelers notebook: Boykin confident about stepping in for Gay, if needed

By Mark Kaboly
Monday, Oct. 26, 2015

Cornerback William Gay left Sunday's game against the Chiefs late in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury that could open a door for Brandon Boykin to finally see extended play.

The Steelers acquired Boykin from the Eagles on Aug. 1 for a conditional 2016 fifth-round pick. That pick could be a fourth-round selection if Boykin plays 60 percent of the defensive snaps for the Steelers.

Through seven games, Boykin has played only 3.4 percent (17 of 490).

That number could increase significantly Sunday against the Bengals this week if Gay, who has played in 135 consecutive games, is limited or forced to miss the game.

“If there is an opportunity for me to play, I want to play,” Boykin said. “I am capable of doing it. I have to be patient and wait for that to happen and when it happens, I am 1,000 percent sure that I am going to do what I have been doing the past three or four years of my career.”

Boykin spent three years with the Eagles and played every game. He has seven career interceptions, including a team-high six in 2013.

“Things will happen for me and when I get on the field, I promise you, it will be what it is supposed to be,” Boykin said.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9326522-74/boykin-game-tuitt#ixzz3pj5NxIdd
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 8:28 am

So...let's do some math here.

There have been 490 snaps to date in 7 games. This is 70 snaps a game.

Assuming 70 snaps per game for the next 9 games, that is 630.

If he plays all but 5 snaps a game, that is (17 [already played] + 585 [games to come] / 1120 [total snaps already and snaps to come]

That comes to ~54%, not including playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 11:41 am

jak341 wrote:
That comes to ~54%, not including playoffs.

Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs! You kidding me? Playoffs?! I just hope the Steelers can win a game, another game Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Steelers coach explains Brandon Boykin's limited role on defense

Bryan DeArdo - Nov 19

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 6_4031570

On Thursday, defensive backs coach Carnell Lake detailed the reason for Brandon Boykin's limited play this season.

Acquired from Philadelphia this past offseason for a fourth or five round draft pick (Boykin will have to play in at least 60 percent of the team's defensive snaps for the team to surrender a fourth round pick), Boykin has seen little playing time this season, making just six tackles with one pass defensed.

When asked what would need to happen for Boykin to have a more expanded role on the defense, Lake said: "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now. I have faith and confidence that he can play. It's just that we're doing OK."

Boykin's lack of playing time has been a hot button topic all season, especially during the secondary's struggles defending the pass. But despite being 27th in the league in pass defense, the Steelers are fifth in points allowed, as the secondary has continued to make opportunistic plays despite giving up a bevy of yards through the air.

Acquired to add depth to the secondary that was facing question marks this past offseason that included the departures of Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu, Lake and the rest of the Steelers' coaching brass must feel that Pittsburgh's cornerbacks, specifically Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell, are playing well enough that Boykin's services are not needed at this time.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-coach-explains-Brandon-Boykins-limited-role-on-defense-41210924
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin   Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for Eagles CB Brandon Boykin
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next