Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBrowns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers

Go down 
+22
Vis
stlrtruck
BKAnthem
Hawaii 5-0
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
SteelersYak
BlackAndGold
kirklandrules
Atlanta Dan
Lokki
Steeler-in-west
Master_Of_Puppets
WVABE
LambertWardSteel
DesertSteel
IowaSteeler927
jak341
Fire Arians
SteelerFreak58
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Wallace108
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 1:16 pm

I found this article from last year talking about Gilbert's troubles:

Justin Gilbert of the Cleveland Browns Described as Aloof and a Loner that Angers His Teammates

By: Jason Lisk | November 30, 2015

Johnny Manziel makes all the headlines for the 2014 NFL Draftees for the Cleveland Browns, but according to Kevin Jones of Cleve Scene, 8th overall pick Justin Gilbert’s tenure has been just as big a disaster.

Gilbert was selected after the Browns traded up one spot with the Minnesota Vikings. The player taken by Minnesota after getting that extra pick from Cleveland? Anthony Barr, now tearing up the league (sorry, Browns fans).

According to Jones, the problems with Gilbert stem from his personality and lack of caring about other members of team or playing football.

Among the troubling details, the article claims that key members of the organization didn’t even vet Gilbert and meet with him prior to the selection. “But what’s troubling about the matter is that Gilbert’s personality problems are apparent to anyone who’s been around him for longer than a day,” says Jones.

Gilbert, who has started only two games at cornerback since being drafted, is described as aloof, withdrawn, and having a false sense of entitlement that “rubs people the wrong way.” Last year, he missed a mandatory team bus, had to be located 90 minutes later, and then according to the story, a teammate had to be restrained because “Gilbert stood there smiling, eating candy.”

Among the other allegations leveled against Gilbert are that he is often a loner at the team facility, that he pushed away veterans like Joe Haden that tried to mentor him, and that he is never asked to participate in community events because of his personality.

Why are the Browns a bad organization? Because Johnny Manziel looks like the best of their two picks from the 2014 draft, emblematic of their inability to get impact players. Gilbert looks like one of the biggest draft busts of the last decade.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/11/30/justin-gilbert-of-the-cleveland-browns-described-as-aloof-and-a-loner-that-angers-his-teammates/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 1:37 pm

another article from last year detailing Gilbert's troubles.

I'm not sure what bothers me more, Gilbert's behavior or the fact that he drives a Dodge Challenger?  Shocked

Driver in road rage incident says tobacco juice thrown from Justin Gilbert's car

By Ryllie Danylko, cleveland.com
on September 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM

BRUNSWICK, Ohio -- The man involved in a road rage incident with Cleveland Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert said that someone in Gilbert's car threw tobacco juice at his car during the incident that ended with Gilbert's car in a ditch, according to a police report.

Documents released on Monday say someone in Gilbert's car threw chewing tobacco at the 55-year-old man's windshield just after 4 p.m. Friday in Middleburg Heights. Gilbert had two passengers in his car.

Gilbert's Dodge Challenger eventually struck a culvert and veered into a drainage ditch on West 130th Street. He told police he was distracted by the other driver, David Bock of Parma, who tailed him from Interstate 71 in Middleburg Heights.

Police also released several 911 calls from the incident, including a call from Bock, who narrated the incident to the dispatcher as he followed Gilbert on Ohio 303 into Hinckley and then back toward Brunswick, reports show.

The documents and the 911 recordings do not detail what started the disagreement between the two motorists.

Gilbert was cited for driving with a lack of reasonable control. Bock was also cited for disorderly conduct.

"The entire reason that I was following him was because he was not only endangering me but other people in traffic as well," Bock said in a phone interview on Monday.

to read rest of article:

http://www.cleveland.com/brunswick/index.ssf/2015/09/cleveland_browns_justin_gilbert.html
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 3:23 pm

The Good, Bad & Ugly of the Justin Gilbert Trade

by Alex Kozora

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/good-bad-ugly-justin-gilbert-trade/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
The Good, Bad & Ugly of the Justin Gilbert Trade

by Alex Kozora

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/good-bad-ugly-justin-gilbert-trade/

Is it just me, or is Steelersdepot website sometimes the slowest thing to read? Its like there are so many scripts running on it that the site bogs down and its painfully slow. I got thru the good and most of the bad of this article, never got to the ugly because it is too frustrating to wait for the site to refresh.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm hoping he could be one of those heyward-bey signings. Someone who had a questionable work ethic but started his career as someone with a high pedigree as a rookie, but ended up in a crappy organization. But with a good change of scenery can turn his career around to be productive. Hey one can dream, right?
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 4:36 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
with the addition of gilbert we have a really talented, young, and fast group of CB's. if they can live up to their potential it'll be lockdown city
SUPERBOWL!!
It's actually two words Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 1664291743
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Talent doesn't seem to be the issue. Hopefully he gets the right influence in Pittsburgh...maybe make James Harrison his 'big brother' to straighten him out. There are a lot of ifs and maybes, but it would be great to see the these high picks in the secondary come together and turn it into at least to a non-liability if not a strength.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
with the addition of gilbert we have a really talented, young, and fast group of CB's. if they can live up to their potential it'll be lockdown city
SUPERBOWL!!
It's actually two words Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 1664291743

Yeah, but I was spelling it as one word like superbowl.com, ya know. So I could put it out there on the line.

Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 200_s
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 6:48 pm

If we don't do something to get some decent back-ups it'll be SoupKitchen instead of SuperBowl.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
I'm hoping he could be one of those heyward-bey signings. Someone who had a questionable work ethic but started his career as someone with a high pedigree as a rookie, but ended up in a crappy organization. But with a good change of scenery can turn his career around to be productive. Hey one can dream, right?

The party line is that Tomlin can get through to him

OTOH Hue Jackson has the freedom to throw out the previous regime's high draft pick mistakes, just as Cowher dumped Huey Richardson his first year

Given how bad the Steelers secondary is it is worth a sixth round pick in 2018
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 8:38 pm

there's options for dealing with a locker room douchebag.... Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 755331329

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Similar to others, I really liked him coming out of college as well. He seemed to have some issues early in his college career, but I don't remember seeing anything that indicated the scale of behavioral problems we're hearing from Cleveland.  When I read through all these stories about his behavior, it almost provides a picture of a guy who didn't take the Browns organization seriously ... not that he should have that attitude, however, it might be something that changes with a move to another organization. Tomlin can't afford a locker room cancer, so he has to know he's on a short leash and a small cog in a big machine. Maybe let Deebo welcome (threaten) him to the team. Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 2625562446
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm rooting for him to do well. A top 10 pick with all the talent??

The right work envoronment can do wonders for a person. It happened for me and I've heard others say similar things regarding changing jobs - so hopefully the same happens here. Being a fan looking from the outside I would still venture to guess the steelers have a little bit better working environment than the brownies.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 12:52 am

Steeler-in-west wrote:
I'm rooting for him to do well. A top 10 pick with all the talent??

The right work envoronment can do wonders for a person. It happened for me and I've heard others say similar things regarding changing jobs - so hopefully the same happens here. Being a fan looking from the outside I would still venture to guess the steelers have a little bit better working environment than the brownies.

i can agree with that. there was a few jobs i held where i had no motivation to work because my boss was an asshole. current job though much diff story
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 10:08 am

DesertSteel wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
SUPERBOWL!!

SUPERB OWL!  

Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 1e1562bb768de70341dcd2c27c9742570e7347543bae7f3232d9f607fbdd8e68
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 10:34 am

Peter King in his MMQB column on Gilbert

These three things say it all about Justin Gilbert. One: The Browns couldn’t find a non-division trading partner for the ninth pick in the 2014 draft and so had to deal him to their archrivals.

Two: The Steelers’ Achilles heel, the thing they just haven’t been able to get right in recent years, is the corner position. Thus the gamble with an unmotivated player. Gilbert won’t be unmotivated for long under Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Keith Butler—or he’ll be gone.

Three: Gilbert couldn’t beat out a fifth-round pick, Trey Caldwell, for a backup job, or a Dolphins’ reject, Jamar Taylor, for a starting job. Taylor was acquired last spring for a swap of seventh-round picks. In other words, Miami traded Taylor so it could move up eight spots in the final round of the draft. That’s the guy who Gilbert couldn’t beat out under new coach Hue Jackson.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/04/sam-bradford-trade-minnesota-vikings-philadelphia-eagles-nfl
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 11:22 am

Gilbert will wear #24.

Guess that means Grant's time as a Steeler is over.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 11:24 am

If Gilbert doesn't work out for the Steelers, we'll probably hear that he was born with one foot weighing 15 pounds while the other foot is normal. Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 3562723908
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 11:25 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
Gilbert will wear #24.

Grant didn't make the 53 man team. They aren't retiring that number for him. Next man up.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 11:32 am

kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Gilbert will wear #24.

Grant didn't make the 53 man team. They aren't retiring that number for him. Next man up.

Yes, many expected that he would be back on the 53. They're done with him.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 11:48 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Gilbert will wear #24.

Yes, many expected that he would be back on the 53. They're done with him.

Yeah, I thought this was his year. Spend 1 year on the PS, grow as a player, than make the team. We'll see if he catches on with another team or if he's sitting out there when a couple DBs have injuries and he's brought back in. Never know what they will do.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 1:58 pm

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 1:58 pm

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 3:03 pm

How sweet would it be if he gets a pick 6 against the Browns?

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 4:16 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
Talent doesn't seem to be the issue. Hopefully he gets the right influence in Pittsburgh...maybe make James Harrison his 'big brother' to straighten him out. There are a lot of ifs and maybes, but it would be great to see the these high picks in the secondary come together and turn it into at least to a non-liability if not a strength.

New employees are sometimes assigned a "buddy" to ease the transition into a new job. "How things are done around here."

I like your idea a lot. James would make a great buddy for Gilbert. Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 2768454789
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers   Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Browns trade CB Justin Gilbert to the Steelers
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next