Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers release Justin Gilbert

Go down 
+13
JPPT1974
SteelersNorth
FrancoLambert
solardave
BKAnthem
IowaSteeler927
effyou515
kirklandrules
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelerFreak58
Atlanta Dan
jak341
BlackAndGold
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 8:48 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
I'm all for going best OLB or CB on our board in rounds 1 and 2.  We need both.
To get over the hump (Patriots**) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.
Not claiming to be a genius realizing this.....I think most of us have come to this same conclusion after the AFCCG.

imo 1st round best edge rusher on the board 2nd round best CB on the board then 3rd round to the 7th round BPA.

I'm betting the Steelers can get 2 CB and 2 edge rushers in this draft and a little help on the offensive side of the ball.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 am

effyou515 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
To get over the hump (Patriots***) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.
Not claiming to be a genius realizing this.....I think most of us have come to this same conclusion after the AFCCG.

imo 1st round best edge rusher on the board 2nd round best CB on the board then 3rd round to the 7th round BPA.

I'm betting the Steelers can get 2 CB and 2 edge rushers in this draft and a little help on the offensive side of the ball.

Steelers just spent their first 2 rounds of the last 2 years on Secondary(Burns, Davis, Golson) and edge rusher(Dupree). They are not spending 4 picks of this draft on CB and edge rusher.

While they probably will address OLB again, they still need to probably find a TE, get a real #2 WR, D-line depth and an ILB if they let Timmons go(although I can live with Vince Williams for now). And there is still the unknown if A.V is the LT that gets a contract or they plan to go with Ryan Harris, Jerald Hawkins or somebody else.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 11:56 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
To get over the hump (Patriots****) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.

Steelers just spent their first 2 rounds of the last 2 years on Secondary(Burns, Davis, Golson) and edge rusher(Dupree).  They are not spending 4 picks of this draft on CB and edge rusher.

While they probably will address OLB again, they still need to probably find a TE, get a real #2 WR, D-line depth and an ILB if they let Timmons go(although I can live with Vince Williams for now).  And there is still the unknown if A.V is the LT that gets a contract or they plan to go with Ryan Harris, Jerald Hawkins or somebody else.

I respectfully disagree with what you are to expect.

The Steelers NEED another OLB/Pass Rusher a la Dupree.
You can't count on Harrison to last a full 16 games even though he is a genetic freak; at 39 it's just not feasible.

Burns has a season under his belt, and personally I'm not sure Cockrell is the answer so if you can get a 'stud' or 'high end' DB/CB you take him to play opposite Burns.
OR
Because he's been injured you can't count on Golson so maybe you take a DB/CB that's a slot guy (not saying they should)

Ideally they address the 2nd DB/CB spot in FA with Gilmore in my opinion, he's 26 and can get the job done.
Alas we shall see what happens.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
To get over the hump (Patriots****) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.

Steelers just spent their first 2 rounds of the last 2 years on Secondary(Burns, Davis, Golson) and edge rusher(Dupree).  They are not spending 4 picks of this draft on CB and edge rusher.

While they probably will address OLB again, they still need to probably find a TE, get a real #2 WR, D-line depth and an ILB if they let Timmons go(although I can live with Vince Williams for now).  And there is still the unknown if A.V is the LT that gets a contract or they plan to go with Ryan Harris, Jerald Hawkins or somebody else.

True. But, with Golson we have NO idea of what he can do at the pro level, or if he can even stay healthy enough to play.

Burns looks like he can develop into a solid corner; he's just not there yet.  Davis look like the real deal at S.
Gay is done.  Bottom line, CB is still a position of need....the Pats* proved it for sure.

As for the edge rusher, Bud looks solid, Harrison can still play but for how long and at his age how much.
A pass rushing OLB is still an area of need...the Pats* proved it for sure.

I'm not advocating 4 picks devoted to CB or OLB....just the first 2.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 12:48 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
To get over the hump (Patriots*****) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.

True. But, with Golson we have NO idea of what he can do at the pro level, or if he can even stay healthy enough to play.

Burns looks like he can develop into a solid corner; he's just not there yet.  Davis look like the real deal at S.
Gay is done.  Bottom line, CB is still a position of need....the Pats** proved it for sure.

As for the edge rusher, Bud looks solid, Harrison can still play but for how long and at his age how much.
A pass rushing OLB is still an area of need...the Pats** proved it for sure.

way to plagiarize what i said lol
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:

That is what I am saying....will not see 4 picks going to those 2 positions. I really don't think those picks go in the top 2 either. More something like this.

Rd1 OLB
RD2 TE
Rd3 WR
Rd4 CB

I think the TE talent drops off quite a bit after round 2 and still think the way to beat the Steelers is double cover AB, while letting Bryant smoke his way out of the NFL and Coates drop his way to the inactive report. Ladarius Green concussion issue will keep him off the 53.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 am

Well such a great potential now really hope he can find a team. That could showcase his talents.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

That is what I am saying....will not see 4 picks going to those 2 positions.  I really don't think those picks go in the top 2 either.  More something like this.

Rd1 OLB
RD2 TE
Rd3  WR
Rd4  CB

I think the TE talent drops off quite a bit after round 2 and still think the way to beat the Steelers is double cover AB, while letting Bryant smoke his way out of the NFL and Coates drop his way to the inactive report.  Ladarius Green concussion issue will keep him off the 53.

I agree round one we go with OLB and two TE but I think round three we go best CB available and four is best WR available. however they may surprise us all and go QB in round two. Maybe Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes if either one is there. It's got to happen sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 8:20 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
To get over the hump (Patriots******) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.

Gay is done.  Bottom line, CB is still a position of need....the Pats*** proved it for sure.

A pass rushing OLB is still an area of need...the Pats*** proved it for sure.

Taking a page from your book....wrong.   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 469886443
For one to plagiarize, one has to first read what others have written and then recycle it as their own material.
I never read your posts.   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 am

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

That is what I am saying....will not see 4 picks going to those 2 positions.  I really don't think those picks go in the top 2 either.  More something like this.

Rd1 OLB
RD2 TE
Rd3  WR
Rd4  CB

I think the TE talent drops off quite a bit after round 2 and still think the way to beat the Steelers is double cover AB, while letting Bryant smoke his way out of the NFL and Coates drop his way to the inactive report.  Ladarius Green concussion issue will keep him off the 53.

I agree round one we go with OLB and two TE but I think round three we go best CB available and four is best WR available. however they may surprise us all and go QB in round two. Maybe Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes if either one is there. It's got to happen sooner or later.

Honestly, as much as I think we need an OLB. If DeShaun Watson is there at #30, I take him.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 8:48 pm

The problem with relying on Harrison as the season progressed he started to slow down by the AFC championship game he was wasted physically. Don't get me wrong the man is still a specimen and I absolutely love him on the team but he can not go a full season and be expected to play a significant amount of snaps and perform at that level he slowed down and it's expected. The problem this year was the guy behind him was a complete and total bust Mr. Jones...
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
The problem with relying on Harrison as the season progressed he started to slow down by the AFC championship game he was wasted physically. Don't get me wrong the man is still a specimen and I absolutely love him on the team but he can not go a full season and be expected to play a significant amount of snaps and perform at that level he slowed down and it's expected. The problem this year was the guy behind him was a complete and total bust Mr. Jones...

Yeah we need another pass rushing OLB. Needs to be addressed, whether it's through the draft, or via Free Agency.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 am

Seems age caught up with both Gay and Harrison by the AFC Championship game. Both identified high need areas by the team. Both areas exposed big time in the AFC Title game. Although i'm still not sure why we didn't rush more guys in that game. You don't win by giving Brady time. I would've sent the house at various times to throw Brady off. Anyway, I'm sure the Steelers will address both positions and hoping we see more press coverage next season. Teams have the blueprint on how to beat us. We need to counter.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 6:36 am

Yeah just so we're clear. If Deshaun Watson is there at #30 we take him. Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 184121345
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:
To get over the hump (Patriots*******) we need more pressure and better man on man coverage.

Gay is done.  Bottom line, CB is still a position of need....the Pats**** proved it for sure.

A pass rushing OLB is still an area of need...the Pats**** proved it for sure.

Taking a page from your book....wrong.   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 469886443
For one to plagiarize, one has to first read what others have written and then recycle it as their own material.
I never read your posts.   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 1797695198

Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 1647293567
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 7:50 am

solardave wrote:
Yeah just so we're clear. If Deshaun Watson is there at #30 we take him. Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 184121345

I'm hoping this is of the sarcastic side of things lol
Because it would be a total waste.
I will say THE only way it would make sense is if Ben actually does retire before the draft.

Aside from that if we go with the status quo then you draft what you need and right now that's an OLB, DB/CB, or a WR.
I say WR because none of us can count on Bryant and if there is a prime one available I'm grabbing him to play opposite AB. Who that actually is or could be I have no idea only because I don't watch college ball.
The only name I've heard in the WR class that 'could' drop to 30 is Corey Davis (I probably have the name wrong).

Mind you getting a guy that could step in as a prime pass rusher mid-season would be beneficial and be a long term solution.

I fully expect RDs 1-3 to go as follows:
1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

I will say THE only way it would make sense is if Ben actually does retire before the draft.

Aside from that if we go with the status quo then you draft what you need and right now that's an OLB, DB/CB, or a WR.
I say WR because none of us can count on Bryant and if there is a prime one available I'm grabbing him to play opposite AB. Who that actually is or could be I have no idea only because I don't watch college ball.
The only name I've heard in the WR class that 'could' drop to 30 is Corey Davis (I probably have the name wrong).

Mind you getting a guy that could step in as a prime pass rusher mid-season would be beneficial and be a long term solution.

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

I agree about not drafting a QB. Ben will play 2 or 3 more years and if it's the latter taking a QB now in the first round would be a waste. Wait until next year then the new QB can learn from Ben for 1 or 2 years.

Besides that it's far from sure that Watson will be a franchise QB for any team. From what I read teams aren't very high on him.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 am

Stella Nation wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

I was joking about Watson because I don't know that much about him. I am going by the fact that he's predicted to be in the top 3 QBs.

However,consider this: if we hadn't drafted Ben (Tommy Gun had a good season the year before) we would of been screwed. We had years after Bradshaw of sub-par QB performance and WE PASSED ON MARINO!!

We're not going to be picking in the top half next year so any "Franchise" QB will be long gone. If we could get a really good QB in this draft let him learn from the best for 2 or 3 years and we don't miss a beat.

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

I agree about not drafting a QB. Ben will play 2 or 3 more years and if it's the latter taking a QB now in the first round would be a waste. Wait until next year then the new QB can learn from Ben for 1 or 2 years.

Besides that it's far from sure that Watson will be a franchise QB for any team. From what I read teams aren't very high on him.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

Stella Nation wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

Not sure how many on the board lived thru the years after Bradshaw retired or not. Waiting for 2 or 3 more years until your starter retires to draft the QB of the future is how Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox ended up at QB.

I am saying that I think DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB, but many think his accuracy and technique need some work. If he is there at 30, the value is great IMO and he is likely BPA. If its OLB Charles Harris or QB Watson....I take Watson.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 12:13 pm

I lived through the dark ages between Bradshaw and Ben. We had a couple scrappers like brister and ok QB's like odonnell and kordell who ultimately failed in the big moments. The record was 0 super bowl trophies in that time frame. I agree We shouldn't wait till Ben is gone.

Sam Darnold is Ben 2.0 with the same ability to extend plays. I don't know if the steelers will have a chance to get him when he comes out but it would be the perfect replacement in my opinion

https://youtu.be/ZvuHxEsUHOQ

Last edited by Steeler-in-west on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 12:43 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

Not sure how many on the board lived thru the years after Bradshaw retired or not.  Waiting for 2 or 3 more years until your starter retires to draft the QB of the future is how Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox ended up at QB.

I am saying that I think DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB, but many think his accuracy and technique need some work.  If he is there at 30, the value is great IMO and he is likely BPA.  If its OLB Charles Harris or QB Watson....I take Watson.

Well I guess the following teams need to draft a QB this year since their guys are getting up there in age:
Giants
Packers
Chargers
Saints
Steelers
Patriots*
Ravens (although they don't have a QB as it is)
Wherever Romo goes that team will need a new guy after game 1 or 2

Did I miss anyone?

Ca'mon be real people. drafting a QB this year or next makes zero sense, ZERO! and I stress the zero because its less than that.
It would make sense if the worst should happen like it did with Peyton before they got Luck(y).

I realize I'm out numbered on here but until Ben plays like crap like Rivers does most seasons and goes 4-12 THEN you draft a QB. No point in doing that when you're 1 game away from the Super Bowl and will sniff it for the next 3 seasons AT LEAST!

I know earlier I said OLB in Rd1 based on need but because I'm greedy if there's a prime WR I'm taking him and Rd2 is OLB/CB and Rd3 is what's left that I didn't get.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
I lived through the dark ages between Bradshaw and Ben. We had a couple scrappers like brister and ok QB's like odonnell and kordell who ultimately failed in the big moments. The record was 0 super bowl trophies in that time frame. I agree We shouldn't wait till Ben is gone.

Sam Darnold is Ben 2.0 with the same ability to extend plays. I don't know if the steelers will have a chance to get him when he comes out but it would be the perfect replacement in my opinion

https://youtu.be/ZvuHxEsUHOQ

Exactly what I was getting to. A logical person doesn't put paying a bill until the day it is due or worse yet the day after.

I don't care about all the other teams that have QBs as old or older than Ben but if we use an example let's go with the Cowboys drafting Prescott. They got real lucky just like we did with Ben. Only they did it seamlessly. They didn't go through a bunch of wannabees. If Gonzo thinks this guy is a franchise QB I'll take his word for it. Like you said :0 SUPERBOWLS between Terry and Ben. O'Dumbass was the closest we got.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 6:28 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

Not sure how many on the board lived thru the years after Bradshaw retired or not.  Waiting for 2 or 3 more years until your starter retires to draft the QB of the future is how Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Kent Graham, Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox ended up at QB.

I am saying that I think DeShaun Watson is a franchise QB, but many think his accuracy and technique need some work.  If he is there at 30, the value is great IMO and he is likely BPA.  If its OLB Charles Harris or QB Watson....I take Watson.

What I don't like about Watson is that he's undersized (especially for the physical AFC north) and that he didn't play in a pro-style offense. He will need to learn to work under center.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 7:06 am

Stella Nation wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

What I don't like about Watson is that he's undersized (especially for the physical AFC north) and that he didn't play in a pro-style offense. He will need to learn to work under center.

He's 6'3" and 215. He will bulk up once he gets to where he is going. When he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle he will be a beast like Cam Newton. Here is what Bucky Brooks says about him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIddlfuK6c
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 7:58 am

solardave wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
solardave wrote:

1 - OLB
2 - DB/CB
3 - WR

He's 6'3" and 215. He will bulk up once he gets to where he is going. When he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle he will be a beast like Cam Newton. Here is what Bucky Brooks says about him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIddlfuK6c

and run the zone read offense with him and Bell.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert   Steelers release Justin Gilbert - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers release Justin Gilbert
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next