Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRoethlisberger hurting after big hit Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Roethlisberger hurting after big hit

Go down 
+4
stlrtruck
kirklandrules
Crash
Wallace108
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Roethlisberger hurting after big hit Empty
PostSubject: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Quote :
By Alan Robinson

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says he's still feeling the affects of Ravens linebacker Courtney Upshaw's hard hit to his chest during the game-opening drive in Baltimore.

“I'm hurting today as much as I was at any point I can think of last year,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday during his weekly 93.7 FM radio show. “I lost my breath instantly and remember hitting the ground thinking, 'Boy, that hurt a lot.'”

Asked during his weekly SiriusXM NFL Radio show if the big hit affected his quarterback, coach Mike Tomlin said, “I'm sure it had an impact. But we don't make excuses and Ben doesn't make excuses. … (But) it was a substantial hit.

“I don't know how much it affected him, but it comes with the territory (of playing quarterback).”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6805903-74/hit-steelers-baltimore#ixzz3DVYfA8Qh
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

To quote myself from the game thread ...

Wallace108 wrote:
Offense: Our biggest problems tonight were costly turnovers and Ben being off. Ben doesn't shake easily (if at all), but I wonder if that early hard hit got to him a little. He didn't look right most of the game.

I'm not sure if it was physical or mental (or a little of both), but I definitely think that hit affected him.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 3:55 pm

I thought Todd Haley's offense was supposed to keep Ben "safer" than the evil BA's offense?

Nope. If anything it's WORSE.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 10:12 pm

I remember a certain Ravens game under BA that had Ben's nose sideways. Last year was the first year in a while that Ben did not suffer a major injury. Who was the OC last year?
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

If a lineman is going to club you in the head it's not the result of the offense. A cheap shot can happen in any offense.

Suggs cheap shotted Ben as a rookie in Heinz Field.

Whiz was the OC.

Quote :
Who was the OC last year?

The same OC in 2012 when Ben suffered the worst injury of his career to that point.

9 games into the Haley Era, Ben missed three games.

In 5 years with Arians, he missed TWO.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 10:29 am

mrcrash wrote:
If a lineman is going to club you in the head it's not the result of the offense. A cheap shot can happen in any offense.  

Suggs cheap shotted Ben as a rookie in Heinz Field.  

Whiz was the OC.  

Kinda sounds like you're aligning Ben's problems under BA to others. But you don't give the same consideration to Haley. I guess we all have our biased opinions. I don't see you saying that this lineman shouldn't have been able to get his hands in the QB's face in the first place. Or that the Line Coach wasn't that great, or that the O-Line was bad (all under BA).

mrcrash wrote:
The same OC in 2012 when Ben suffered the worst injury of his career to that point.  

9 games into the Haley Era, Ben missed three games.  

In 5 years with Arians, he missed TWO.

You're right, he missed 3 games in 2012. But you're not acknowledging that he had taken so much abuse under BA that his much older body is now breaking down. The Rooneys are trying to protect their franchise QB and keep him on the field (so he can win championships), yet you're stating they are trying to do just the opposite.

On one hand you're telling us that the Rooneys are trying to keep Ben's performance low so they don't have to pay him and he can leave for Arizona. But the evidence show's that Ben has been building very impressive passing stats the past few years. And by asking to keep their QB on his feet, take fewer hits/sacks, and run the ball more consistently (so the offense isn't so one dimensional, leading the defense to tee-off on the QB practically every down), we are seeing actions that support the Rooneys stand behind their statements.

Sorry, but your biased opinion, and seemingly personal hatred of Haley, really are not supported by what most fans are seeing.

Say "CHEESE" and thank BA for the new look:

Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 1206-roethlisberger-broken-nose-00-480x360
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 am

The offensive line has been a problem since the SB in Tampa (43), and well documented since. Especially in the SB against the Packers.

Yep, who was the OC - Arians. But I won't blame Arians for the o-line play, he got dealt that card, just like Haley has been dealt the same o-line play. As with Arians, Haley isn't using his line's strengths to benefit the entire offense and likewise, the personnel on the field are not executing to their full potential.

If you look at Ben's injuries, most of them (yes, even before Haley) have happened when he's scrambled and attemped to extend the play. That's how Ben plays the game and it has helped us win and it has helped us lose.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Quote :
Kinda sounds like you're aligning Ben's problems under BA to others. But you don't give the same consideration to Haley.

What problems? Winning?

Like I said, he missed two games in five years, under Arians.

He missed four games in three years under Whiz, and he missed three games after 9 games with Haley.

Where's the problem?

Quote :
The Rooneys are trying to protect their franchise QB and keep him on the field (so he can win championships), yet you're stating they are trying to do just the opposite.

How does having Mike Adams, a tackle, running pass patterns protect Ben?

How does having Ben line up at wide receiver, where any DB can lay a lick on him with no penalty while running the Wild Cat, protect Ben?

It doesn't.

Realize what this is: Making Ben Roethlisberger step and fetch until the time comes to let him go.

Either by their choice, or as they hope so he's the bad guy, his.

Quote :
But the evidence show's that Ben has been building very impressive passing stats the past few years

Fourth quarter garbage time stats mean nothing to me. And I assure you they mean nothing to Ben.

Ben had stats long before Todd Haley came here.

Quote :
And by asking to keep their QB on his feet, take fewer hits/sacks, and run the ball more consistently (so the offense isn't so one dimensional, leading the defense to tee-off on the QB practically every down), we are seeing actions that support the Rooneys stand behind their statements.

The running game only became a problem once Todd Haley showed up. The offense only became one dimensional once Todd Haley showed up.

There was never a problem with the run game with Arians. The ONLY problem with the run game with Arians as far as the Rooney's are concerned is he didn't do it 45 times a game and bow down to 1975 football.

And that's why he was fired.

And that's why Todd Haley is here.

And that's why Ben Roethlisberger won't be.

You don't pay Ben Roethlisberger $20 million a year to be Mark Malone.

You pay Bruce Gradkowski or Landry Jones $5 million a year to do it.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Can this be the last time we hear about Marcus Gilbert running a pass pattern? You can't take an isolated incident and make it sound like the norm.

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 2:52 pm

It wasn't isolated, Adams did it at least twice, and if I go back and watch? He probably did it even more.

That play in Oakland wasn't some gimmick tackle eligible from the 3 yard line.

It was 2nd and 10 from their own 20.

That should have been Haley's last play-call, ever, for this team.

His whole shtick, is to think of the most absurd logic, and go ahead and run it, because he thinks YOU won't think he's that stupid.

Which is why we also see LeGarette Blount running wheel routes, and Antonio Brown not even on the field for their biggest play of the season in Baltimore last year.

If Bruce Arians did this shit, he'd be flogged.

But Haley is from Pittsburgh, so he gets a free pass.
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:01 pm

"No no no. Use Miller in motion, at the LOS, in the slot, anywhere but the backfield"

-Crash 4/28/2012

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Creativity and insanity walk a fine line that is drawn by perception.

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Quote :
If you look at Ben's injuries, most of them (yes, even before Haley) have happened when he's scrambled and attemped to extend the play.

1. Suggs piledrives Ben into the turf on a designed mis-direction.

2. Ben, in the pocket, gets hit by Luis Castillo's helmet on his knee.

3. Ben, in the pocket, gets his cleats caught in Heinz Field's turf, throwing a TD to Heath Miller.

4. Ben, in the pocket, suffers a concussion in Atlanta.

Those four injuries alone, were all with Whiz as OC, and were all in the pocket.

If you don't want Ben to extend plays? Send him on his way.

Sickening, that "Steelers fans" hold Ben's very own skills, against him.

Just like the dimwitted owner does.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 am

kirklandrules wrote:
I remember a certain Ravens game under BA that had Ben's nose sideways. Last year was the first year in a while that Ben did not suffer a major injury. Who was the OC last year?

Thank you. Ben had the most sacks of any QB during B.A.'s tenure.
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 am

solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

He also won 2 AFC titles and a ring.

Now he's 17-17.

Todd Haley took a HOF QB and made him irrelevant.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 6:50 am

mrcrash wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Now he's 17-17.  

Wait, wasn't your argument that Ben takes too many hits in Haley's shotty offense? But it's okay if Ben takes hits so long as they win championships?

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 9:45 am

SteelersYak wrote:
mrcrash wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Now he's 17-17.  

Wait, wasn't your argument that Ben takes too many hits in Haley's shotty offense?

No, my argument is that Haley has done NOTHING to protect him. All he's done, is limit his chances to throw, and has taken the big play aspect out of his game.

Run run, tee off on Ben on 3rd own.

Run, WR screen, tee off on Ben on 3rd down.

Run, RB screen, tee off on Ben on 3rd down.

That's basically been our play-book for three years.

Any other QB behind center and this is a 2-14 team.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am

Last time I checked, Haley doesn't put on the uniform at any time and pretend to block for Ben. You constantly want to blame Haley but have lacked the vision to notice that it's not Haley missing blocks, it's the offensive linemen.

Quote :
Run run, tee off on Ben on 3rd own.
Run, WR screen, tee off on Ben on 3rd down.
Run, RB screen, tee off on Ben on 3rd down.

Hmmm, this sounds a lot like Bruce Arians' offensive scheme. Of whom you so delightfully exclaim that BA called the down field passes, but again I say to you, it's never been Arians or Haley throwing the ball or catching it. If Ben misses the pass, you blame Haley. Did you likewise blame Arians when Ben would overthrow (or in most cases underthrow) his WRs?

Take last week for example. Ben threw down the middle to Miller and overthrew him, drastically. Was that Haley? Nope, that was Ben.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 11:54 am

mrcrash wrote:
All he's done, is limit his chances to throw

The most passes Ben attempted in one season under Arians is 513 in 2011. Last year, Ben attempted 584 passes. Yeah, it sucks that Haley won't let Ben throw the ball. Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 1401235891

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
mrcrash wrote:
All he's done, is limit his chances to throw

The most passes Ben attempted in one season under Arians is 513 in 2011. Last year, Ben attempted 584 passes. Yeah, it sucks that Haley won't let Ben throw the ball. Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 1401235891

When they get down 17 points after three in London? When they get down 18 points after three in Oakland?

What do you expect them to do? Keep running, or throw every down?

Guys like you and Art II need to quit reading stats, and actually WATCH the game.

Quote :
Hmmm, this sounds a lot like Bruce Arians' offensive scheme.

No, not at all, Ben was one of the best VERTICAL throwers in the NFL for 8 years.

Then Todd Haley showed up.
Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Quote :
Take last week for example. Ben threw down the middle to Miller and overthrew him, drastically. Was that Haley? Nope, that was Ben.

Miller didn't make the read. He cut across the middle, Ben saw blitz and threw down the middle.

Simple mis-communication.

You people need to stop doing one thing: You don't get to praise Haley when they play well, and then absolve him of blame when they play poorly.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 pm

mrcrash wrote:
When they get down 17 points after three in London?  When they get down 18 points after three in Oakland?

What do you expect them to do?  Keep running, or throw every down?  

You like to reference a couple of examples and act like it's the rule. Do you think there weren't games with Arians where the Steelers were behind and had to abandon the run and throw to catch up? Rolling Eyes

mrcrash wrote:
Guys like you and Art II need to quit reading stats, and actually WATCH the game.

Yeah, you're right. I never watch any games. I just go on the Internet and read stats all day.

mrcrash wrote:
You people need to stop doing one thing:  You don't get to praise Haley when they play well, and then absolve him of blame when they play poorly.

Mrcrash, meet Mr. Kettle. Not once have I heard you criticize Arians for anything. And not once have I heard you compliment Haley for anything. All you do is praise Ben and Arians and criticize everyone else. If the Steelers win, it's because of Ben. If the Steelers lose, it's because of Haley and the defense.

And don't make accusations against the members here when you know nothing about us. This board didn't start the second you showed up. We've criticized Haley plenty here. The difference is that we try to be fair and objective, not biased haters. The reason we sound like Haley Apologists is because we're trying to insert some objectivity into your hate-filled rants.

Back to top Go down
Crash

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Quote :
Do you think there weren't games with Arians where the Steelers were behind and had to throw to catch up

The DIFFERENCE? When Arians was here, and Whiz, they'd start fast with Ben, get leads.

THEN they run.

Now with Haley? It's the complete opposite. They try to run, they get behind, and then when that doesn't work they expect Ben and the WR's to save them in the final 15 minutes.

Arians only lost 25 regular season games in 5 years as Steelers OC.

Haley's already lost 17 of his first 34.

Don't insult Arians by comparing him to this jagoff.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Wait, is this the same Crash that threw stats at us and we said you had to put it in perspective of the game? Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 2829330259 Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 2829330259

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:11 pm

mrcrash wrote:

Now with Haley?  It's the complete opposite.  They try to run, they get behind, and then when that doesn't work they expect Ben and the WR's to save them in the final 15 minutes.  

We got off to a pretty fast start against the Browns Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 1401235891

Crash

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:13 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
Wait, is this the same Crash that threw stats at us and we said you had to put it in perspective of the game?  Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 2829330259 Roethlisberger hurting after big hit 2829330259

Watch their games. Ben was dominant in the first quarter when he showed up. They would just crush teams early with big plays in the air.

THEN they would run the ball.

Arians did that too when he took over for Whiz. And they won with him.

This all really started during 2009. People didn't want to accept the fact that our 4th quarter defense that year sucked. It was why they went 9-7. But Art II wouldn't hear of it. He blamed the running game.

LeBeau is running out of scapegoats. Sooner or later it has to come back to him.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger hurting after big hit   Roethlisberger hurting after big hit Empty

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger hurting after big hit
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next