Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWelcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Welcome Senquez Golson

Go down 
+41
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
pczach
Lokki
Chaotic Zen
SteelersYak
steelcityboyz
teegre
HeinzMustard
Steeler-in-west
vasteeler
DesertSteel
SteelerSpartan
El-Gonzo Jackson
steelstoned1972
fer69
Rick5895
Gingerchip
kirklandrules
Galax Steeler
IowaSteeler927
lvsteelersfan
ebsteelersSF
Hawaii 5-0
Master_Of_Puppets
ImperialFan
Fire Arians
TJ22
kan_t
BlackAndGold
ETL
Steeler Zach
tony hipchest
lipps83
SoCalFan
Pappy
Buddha Bus
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
PhantomJB93
effyou515
Wallace108
Vis
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:26 am

I could literally pick up Archer in one hand and Golson in the other hand, smoosh them together and not have a Daniel McCullers. Something about that just worries me.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:26 am

in all seriousness this guy was probably the best fit for what the steelers like to do on defense, he excelled in zone coverage, and will probably adapt a lot quicker to our zone-blitz schemes than the other corners in the draft would in our system.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:27 am

ImperialFan wrote:
I could literally pick up  Archer in one hand and Golson in the other hand, smoosh them together and not have a Daniel McCullers. Something about that just worries me.

but you could chop mccullers in half and neither half will be as fast Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 3798349058
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:31 am

Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:31 am

Golson may end up being a very good corner. I don't want everyone coming down on me if this kid lights the NFL on fire because he certainly is a talented player. He's just not going to cover someone over half a foot taller than him PERIOD.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:42 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

before this post i was gonna say wtf is a thread with no highlights..

especially this one..

saw him play in person last year too..

good stuff like it
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:47 am

Steelers begin revamping secondary, take cornerback Golson
By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer)
1 hour ago
AP - Sports


PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A couple more inches on his 5-foot-9 frame and Senquez Golson probably would have been long gone by the time the Pittsburgh Steelers were on the clock Friday night. A couple more big plays and Sammie Coates could have said the same.

Defensive backs with a habit of finding their way to the football like Golson have a way of rocketing up draft boards and enjoying nice long careers. So do wide receivers like Coates who are a threat to reach the end zone every time they touch the ball.

The number on a ruler didn't scare away the Steelers from taking Golson in the second round of the NFL Draft. Neither did videotape of the talented but raw Coates dropping catchable balls. When Coates was available in the third round, Pittsburgh added him to a stable full of wide receivers who came to town relatively unheralded but helped quarterback Ben Roethlisberger treat the team's offensive record books like a dry erase board in 2014.

Golson and Coates join linebacker Bud Dupree - the team's first-round pick - as the most likely rookies to make an immediate impact for the defending AFC champions next fall. There will be job opportunities aplenty in the secondary and at outside linebacker while Coates gets to learn from All-Pro Antonio Brown - a former sixth-round pick - and Martavis Bryant, a third-round pick a year ago who had eight touchdown receptions despite sitting out the season's first six games.

(Read More:) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-begin-revamping-secondary-cornerback-golson-010916150--nfl.html

Back to top Go down
lvsteelersfan
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:06 am

I finally found where everyone from Steelers Fever went. COOL. Love the first round pick. Ambivalent about second round. Scratching my head on WR in round 3. Would have thought safety or another CB in that spot. But what do I know. :-D
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:23 am

lvsteelersfan wrote:
I finally found where everyone from Steelers Fever went. COOL. Love the first round pick. Ambivalent about second round. Scratching my head on WR in round 3. Would have thought safety or another CB in that spot. But what do I know. :-D
Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 Ec381b477f96cbfb8ba6e8719f94e50280b39b3149cb5e2ab01fa6620cdad500
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:28 am

He's quick, has great hands for a corner, and good coverage skills. Seems like a pretty legit pick in the 2nd Round to me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:35 am

ImperialFan wrote:
Golson may end up being a very good corner. I don't want everyone coming down on me if this kid lights the NFL on fire because he certainly is a talented player. He's just not going to cover someone over half a foot taller than him PERIOD.
are you suggesting a tall receiver is difficult to cover?

Unfortunately there were no wood sons, Sanders, or revis', in this years draft... especially in the second round.

Maybe we could got someone as tall and fast as ike Taylor, but do you really want to go another 10 years listening to sad fans bitch and whine about a lack of hands and ball skillz?

. .
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:41 am

[/quote]

You shut your dirty mouth! I have a reputation to uphold! Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 3384989289 [/quote]

You have a reputation Puff Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 312503953

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:19 am

When the pick first came in, I shared some of the same concerns as Imperial. Let's be honest, this guy is 5'8" at best. We can drop the half inch or even full inch getting tacked on to his size. So against the A.J Greens of the world, Golson is giving up 8 inches. And Green's vertical leap is an inch higher than Golson's ... now we are at a 9 inch difference and that does matter.

So this pick sucks right? I say no. First, he's going to be a nickel/dime corner, covering slot receivers who tend to be much shorter than the 6'4" + Greens.

I've watched several games of his last year and saw how this kid attacks the ball better than any corner in college. He high points the ball like no one else, so that helps overcome the size differential.

I think the Steelers see a kid who will make more plays than he gives up. And that's a good quality to have in a corner.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:45 am

Remember this play? The receiver is 6' 6".

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 6:55 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
People think about CB size the wrong way.  It definitely helps but you don't need to be 6'3 200 to knock a ball out of a guy's hand.  You need to be tall to catch a ball over a guy as a wideout but as a CB you don't need to be tall to get in the way and prevent him from catching it, if you're skilled enough to get in good enough position.

Great post. I totally agree. Technique and skill is more important than size. Just ask Sweed.

So you guys are just catching on to what women have known for centuries. Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 1378315869

Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Rick5895
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 7:26 am

ImperialFan wrote:
Against 'Bama he went and took the ball away in the end zone from a 6'6'' receiver to win the game. Seems ok to me. The Steelers are too good of a franchise to be able to get those 6'1 or 6'2 guys. Those guys (with ball skills) are top 5 or top 10 picks. We always seem to be picking in bottom third, because we are consistently a playoff team.
All three picks so far are going to help us. I can see CB Doran Grant from OHio St. coming to us in the 4th round, he's over 6' tall.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 7:36 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
People think about CB size the wrong way.  It definitely helps but you don't need to be 6'3 200 to knock a ball out of a guy's hand.  You need to be tall to catch a ball over a guy as a wideout but as a CB you don't need to be tall to get in the way and prevent him from catching it, if you're skilled enough to get in good enough position.

Great post. I totally agree. Technique and skill is more important than size. Just ask Sweed.

So you guys are just catching on to what women have known for centuries. Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 1378315869

Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 1647293567

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Xtreme Newb
Pappy

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 8:41 am

ImperialFan wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
ImperialFan wrote:
Im not crazy about this pick. You just dont take a 5'9 corner in the second round. Why not just keep McCain if we want a small corner? One thing I wanted out of this draft we are yet to get was a 6'2 or taller corner that can defend AJ Green and the likes. I don't care what anybody says about size not mattering when it comes to corners, it does. Can you be 5'9 and be a decent corner? yes. Can you be 5'9 and be a shutdown corner? Hell No. His ceiling is limited. We could have got him in the 3rd round. We dropped the ball on this one. To be completely honest he may be a better pick than Maxx Williams would have been. Lets not lie to our selves though. Dupree was a good pick. This dude wasn't. Then taking a WR. whhhhaaaat?

Do you even watch football?  

This "corners need to be tall" thing is complete bullshit that's come up lately just because Richard Sherman is 6'3.  Most "shutdown" corners are barely 5'11 and a lot are smaller.  Sherman, Peterson, and Talib are the only guys I consider great corners who are even over 6'.  Darrell Green's already been mentioned a million times.  Revis, Brandon Flowers, Brent Grimes, Tim Jennings are all among the NFL's current best and are all 5'10 or under.

Would I rather he be 6'4?  Yeah, of course.  Does being 5'9 mean he can "never be a shutdown corner?"  Fuck no.

Is that a serious question? You're asking if I watch football? Clearly I watch football. Do I have all the corners heights memorized? No. No I don't. Maybe I am just a little disappointed that we drafted a 5'8 1/2 corner in the second round. It's just not what I Imagined. Obviously you pointed out some good corners that aren't all that tall. If your numbers are correct maybe I just had a warped idea of what a great corners attributes are. It was definitely the right position, I just would have felt better knowing we had a tall corner, because we are seriously lacking that. Cortez Allen is 6'1 so we must plan on him coming back so we can match him up with AJ Green right? Sorry I just don't want to imagine someone who is 5'8 1/2 covering someone 7 and a half inches taller than him. Just take 5 seconds and imagine that.... there, did you do it? Thanks. Now if Allen makes a comeback and we actually get his ass off the bench could Allen cover Green and other tall WRs, of course.

I wasn't saying this guy is going to be a bust, McCain was 5'9 and I was a fan of him, but he lacked height. Blake is 5'9. Webb is 5'11 but will he even play? I can't be the only one that sees going into the season with only one corner over 6 ft and his name being Cortez Allen as being a concern. Thats all I'm saying. Never said Golson would be a bust, but I just see him as upgraded version of Bryce McCain, not the type of corner I imagined we would take early in the draft. Maybe we will find someone that fits the mold later. Just let me reiterate this. Our tallest corner is 6'1 and he didnt even start last year. That doesnt concern you at all when you think about some of the WRs that are going to have 4,5,6,7 inches on our little guys?
I agree with you, we all saw Mel Blount announce the Steelers pick and you didn't realize how big he is. He's 6' 3". We definitely need a tall corner to combat the taller wideouts that are being used all across the league now. Maybe we can find him later. Blount, like Sherman now, was super physical. Don't know if any worthwhile are left though.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 9:53 am

He's a playmaker.

We need those on defense.

I don't care if he's 6 ft 2 or 5 ft 9.

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 9:55 am

For what it's worth:

Quote :

56. Pittsburgh Steelers
Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss

To keep harping on it, Pittsburgh needs cornerbacks and this is the highest the Steelers have drafted a defensive back since 2004 when they used an early second-round pick on Ricardo Colclough. To say that addressing this position was long overdue is the understatement of the decade and they landed an impact player to match with Bud Dupree to improve their pass defense. Thumbs up. -- Matt Williamson

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166725/thumbs-up-thumbs-down-for-second-round-draft-picks

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:16 am

I rewatched some Senior Bowl practices last night and Coates and Gholston were matched up 1 on 1 a few times. Coates didn't look that much taller than Gholston and the coverage was good, but it looked like Gholston was coasting a bit. He pulled out of the game with a hamstring issue I think.

Point is, he isn't a midget, he covers well and has better off man and zone skills than he does man coverage skills. He fits the Steelers defense well and is likely a slot corner, but may develop into a Brent Grimes type guy.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:53 am

A cb with actual ball hawking ability intrigues me.......Lets hope our pass rush gets good enough again to let him really take advantage of those skills.

I do hope either this year or next we land a Safety in the cam chancellor mold to take on these freaks at TE popping up all over the NFL a now a days

DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:54 pm

I had never heard of him, but can't find a negative scouting report on him. I guess we all know more than the pros though. On NFL.com's report, their bottom line was that he had Pro Bowl potential.

I'm on record, haters, I like the pick.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 1:24 pm

I feel better now that we drafted a 5 '10 200 pound corner in round 4. Now the Golson pick doesnt bother me at all.  Now that we have picked up two corners, and one is of decent size I am happy.

Last edited by ImperialFan on Sat May 02, 2015 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction on height of grant)
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Gingerchip wrote:

it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean... Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome Senquez Golson    Welcome Senquez Golson  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome Senquez Golson
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next