Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeOverrated bands/artists - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Overrated bands/artists

Go down 
+11
Bays
La Flama Blanca
solardave
steelerdude15
SteelCityMom
SteelersYak
mcg24
JonM229
vasteeler
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 6:16 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
Fucking. Lady. Gaga. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 2744185472

There's a lot of bands/artists now that I despise...she tops the list though.

I STILL believe it's a he... not a she. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 3798349058

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:

I STILL believe it's a he... not a she. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 3798349058

My Mom likes to torture me. She bought Haley a Lady Gaga CD, and some Katy Perry, Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift. I'm here, trying to mold her into a badass with some taste and she totally derails my efforts. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1797695198

It's cool for now, but Haley has to know that when she's a teen it's time to drop this shitty music and rebel like every teenager should.

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
SteelCityMom wrote:

My Mom likes to torture me. She bought Haley a Lady Gaga CD, and some Katy Perry, Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift. I'm here, trying to mold her into a badass with some taste and she totally derails my efforts. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1797695198

It's cool for now, but Haley has to know that when she's a teen it's time to drop this shitty music and rebel like every teenager should.

Damn grandparents! What do they know about good music anyway? Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1797695198

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 11:44 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I think 80s music gets a bad rap. Like with any decade, there was great, good, bad, and downright awful. I don't think today's music is any better than what was around in the 80s. In fact, I see a lot of similarities.

A little off topic, but what I miss in music is singer-songwriters like Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, and Don McLean.

alright wally, give me the name of just one great band from the 80's.

and i totally agree with you about the singer song writer thing. i wasnt a huge fan of any of those that you listed, but music used to tell stories......not anymore

Last edited by vasteeler on Wed May 04, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Not a fan of Journey really or screamo.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:44 pm

vasteeler wrote:
alright wally, give me the name of just one great band from the 80's.
The problem with the 80s, in my opinion, is people tend to think of hair metal and crap rock like Kajagoogoo. But there really was some great music in the 80s.

When talking about music, calling something "great" is relative, though. I know people who can't stand The Beatles or Zeppelin, although most people recognize them as great bands.

So who would I label great bands/artists of the 80s?
Just off the top of my head:

Prince
Michael Jackson
Pat Benetar
Genesis
U2 (well, most people would ... not necessarily me)
REM
INXS
Van Halen
Guns N' Roses
Metallica
Iron Maiden

And those are just mainstream artists we've all heard of. There are tons of great artists who never achieved mainstream success.

Then you have to look at rap. Regardless of whether you like it or not, no one can deny rap's presence and popularity. Although there were a few rap artists in the 70s, it wasn't until the 80s and the emergence of groups/artists like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, N.W.A., and the Beastie Boys that rap came into the mainstream conscience.

It's become cliche to bash 80s music, but I think it was a very influential decade. Heck, Eddie Van Halen alone inspired a generation of guitarists.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I hate Van Halen, any version

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:51 pm

JonM229 wrote:
I hate Van Halen, any version
You're a Ravens fan ... we already know you have poor taste. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 3798349058

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

One word... and I'm sure Wally will protest.... but CREED! I can't stand that lame-ass "rock" band! I never liked them or understood why anyone else did. Pure poop.

Even their picture screams "WUSSIES"!!!!!

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Creed

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
One word... and I'm sure Wally will protest.... but CREED! I can't stand that lame-ass "rock" band! I never liked them or understood why anyone else did. Pure poop.
I like Creed. They're not great, but I enjoy some of their stuff. Alter Bridge (Creed minus Scott Stapp) is 10 times better.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Metallica. They are the definition of overrated in my mind. They have 2 songs that are tolerable but the rest all start to sound the same and I begin to hear a faint "hum" when my roommate would listen to them.

Really America? You thought they were good enough for a whole Guitar Hero game to be dedicated to them? Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1505004552

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Metallica_enlima

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 12:24 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
Metallica. They are the definition of overrated in my mind. They have 2 songs that are tolerable but the rest all start to sound the same and I begin to hear a faint "hum" when my roommate would listen to them.

Really America? You thought they were good enough for a whole Guitar Hero game to be dedicated to them? Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1505004552
I wasn't crazy about Metallica's last few albums. But their earlier stuff (Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for All) are phenomenal. When I was younger, all my friends loved Metallica and I could never figure out why. It took me quite a while to get into them.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 12:45 am

Wallace108 wrote:

I wasn't crazy about Metallica's last few albums. But their earlier stuff (Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for All) are phenomenal. When I was younger, all my friends loved Metallica and I could never figure out why. It took me quite a while to get into them.

So what I'm hearing is that they are a tight and prude group. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1797695198

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 12:59 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
So what I'm hearing is that they are a tight and prude group. Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1797695198

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1505004552
Much like Mendy, I need to start choosing my words more carefully.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Hafta say Sting next. Don't get me wrong, I love The Police, but the vast majority of Sting's solo work is ass in my opinion. His crappy "Adult Contemporary" works and "I'm so great" pompous attitude are just extremely annoying. I can't understand how he was able to maintain a top-selling career after leaving The Police. I didn't realize there were that many lame, uptight dorks in the world to sell that many albums and concert tickets to. Pure poop on a stick.

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Sting

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 7:44 pm

I'd like the Police if it weren't for Sting

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 1:27 am

I have to agree with Sting. I like some Police songs, but off the top of my head, I'm struggling to come up with a really good song Sting has done on his own.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:41 am

agree i cant stand sting but loved the police

loved metallicas first 4 albums the rest is garbage

i never got this band(even though i am old enough to) i fully expect to get slapped around for this one, but i cant stand them

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Color
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

The Police were basically an amazing drummer and two other guys. Without Copeland that band is nothing.

They are much better from this point of view.

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 3:19 pm

vasteeler wrote:
agree i cant stand sting but loved the police

loved metallicas first 4 albums the rest is garbage

i never got this band(even though i am old enough to) i fully expect to get slapped around for this one, but i cant stand them

Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Color

I'll jump on that grenade with you VA. I do like some Beatles songs, but greatest rock and roll band of all-time? Meh. I actually prefer Lennon's solo stuff to the Beatles.

Fire away, angry Beatles fans! Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 1919150556

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:16 am

George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" surpasses anything any of the other Beatles did solo. I'm not huge on the Beatles early Fab Four songs. Their music got much better when they started experimenting with hallucinogens.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 11:41 am

JonM229 wrote:
George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" surpasses anything any of the other Beatles did solo. I'm not huge on the Beatles early Fab Four songs. Their music got much better when they started experimenting with hallucinogens.

that can be said about so many bands. im not a heroin advocate but rock stars should be required to use it. that way they make good music and die before they start making shitty music. also once on heroin they should never quit, going straight has ruined a lot of bands. just to name a few aerosmith, the red hot chilli peppers, metallica, stone temple pilots and im sure i have left plenty off.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:
Any jam band (Grateful Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews Band especially) We don't need to hear 15 minute versions of a song that takes only 4 minutes to play in the studio. Also, their audiences need the drugs to take away from the awful music.

Any popular country artist, no exceptions. Enough with the twangy sound and cheeseball lyrics.

Aerosmith, but mainly I can't stand Steven Tyler.

I agree on all points. Only question is, do you mean popular new country music? I agree there too. I do like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr., Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, etc.

I also like new non-mainstream country like Shooter Jennings, Hank Williams III, Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, The Steeldrivers, Roger Alan Wade and others.

I also like country influenced rock like The Drive-By Truckers, Lucero and I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House as well as several bluegrass and rockabilly bands.
Just as long as you don't include Lady Antebellum in that mix. What a fucking ripoff of The Alan Parsons Project ...

You're right. I didn't put it together even though I knew that song sounded familiar.
Back to top Go down
La Flama Blanca
Xtreme Newb
La Flama Blanca

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:

Black was the beginning of the end and Reload was a load of shit!! Ride the lightning is one of my all time favs

Xtreme Newb
La Flama Blanca

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Overrated..... Neil Young, Kiss, and Kid Rock

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Overrated bands/artists
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next