Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+45
Steeler-in-west
BKAnthem
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
JPPT1974
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stryker
schillah
steelerdude15
Atlanta Dan
lotas
ImperialFan
marvology
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
HeinzMustard
DesertSteel
tony hipchest
jak341
Chaotic Zen
SteelerFreak58
Craziaskowboi
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerSpartan
steelcityboyz
steelersrush
Wallace108
Stella Nation
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
ETL
steelcrazy
pczach
harrison'samonster
steelstoned1972
Buddha Bus
fer69
vasteeler
Lokki
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptySun May 01, 2016 7:14 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
DesertSteel wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Reminds me of the Holliman hype of last year or the Jarvis Jones hype.  Fans just look at a couple of pundits quotes and his ACC INT total, or SEC Sack total, but they don't look at his tape to see that the level of play isn't NFL caliber.

Artie Burns has a long way to go before he will compete against NFL WR's IMO.  Look for a Keenan Lewis type learning curve, if he ever gets to that level of play.

Are you saying that the Steelers scouts and coaches don't watch tape? Because if they do, they see something that you don't.

I'm saying:

- I said Tyson Jackson was overrated as a 5 technique and handled by Ole Miss TE's and was overrated--correct
-I said Herman Johnson (mayocks 5th rated OG from LSU) was too big and slow to play guard in the NFL--correct
-I said Jarvis Jones doesn't show the explosiveness to get the edge, but just got sacks on hustle and coverage in the SEC- Correct
-I said Keenan Lewis will be a lockdown corner in the NFL, but he played exclusive man to man at Oregon St and will take time to learn off man--correct
-I said Bruce Davis ran around blockers the long way to get his sacks and would not be able to do that in the NFL--correct
-I said Al Woods popped on film to me vs Alabama his senior year more than Tyson Jackson, Marlon Favorite and Ricky Jean Francois and would be a player--correct
-I said Carl Nicks is a road grader and the Steelers should draft him in the 3rd round in 2007 and he was a 5th round steal by the Saints
-I said Steven Jackson would be a bust because he only put up numbers against inferior teams like Nevada and SJ State......WRONG
-  I say what I say about Artie Burns and it turns out that Tony Pauline said the following...

Pauline watched several hours of Miami game film on Thursday and made several calls to NFL teams and other sources. His opinion is that Burns has “feistiness” and “solid ball skills” but needs to improve his technique.

“Sometimes he’s all over the place with his play. Sometimes he doesn’t play smart. But he’s got a lot of upside,” Pauline said. “Does that mean he’ll be a third-round pick? Maybe if he goes to the combine and runs in the 4.3s. Otherwise he’ll be looking at the third day of the draft.”

http://www.sportsmanias.com/news/miami-fl-hurricanes/2016-nfl-draft-miami-hurricanes-expected-to-produce-light-crop--canes-watch/568ed9d94e63368d248b4637

I don't know WTF these scouts watch.  Bucky Brooks was a NFL scout and he compared Jarvis Jones get off to Vonn Miller!?!?!  I watched the tape and saw a guy with no hand skills, no quick first step, no inside counter move, no actual goto move..... just hustle and effort.  

Mike Mayock says Burns has "world class speed" and I see that he couldn't catch PITT KR who ran a 10.8 in highschool 100M and got beat by Nebraska's #3 WR on a go route.  

Again, I hope I am wrong like I was with Jackson.  Been a Steeler fan for 35 years, but Burns looks like a 3rd round long term project to me.  I think Eric Murray from Minnesota who went to KC in the 4th was a better fit for the Steelers.

Hey for the record, I enjoy your posts more than anyone's on here. My issue wasn't that you disagreed with the pick. My issue was that you seemed to say that anyone who thought Burns was 1st round talent hadn't watched his tape. Clearly the Steelers staff did watch his tape.

I desperately hope that you add Burns to the list as 'incorrect.' It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 3798349058
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptySun May 01, 2016 9:42 am

DesertSteel wrote:

Hey for the record, I enjoy your posts more than anyone's on here. My issue wasn't that you disagreed with the pick. My issue was that you seemed to say that anyone who thought Burns was 1st round talent hadn't watched his tape. Clearly the Steelers staff did watch his tape.

I desperately hope that you add Burns to the list as 'incorrect.'  It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 3798349058

I hear ya, I just don't get what those who graded Burns as a 1st rounder see in that tape. In January/Feb. Burns is graded as a 3rd-5th round guy and he didn't play in any post season games, had a OK combine and his pro day was in a monsoon. I don't get what pushed him up?

Teams obviously watched tape on Jarvis Jones, Bruce Davis...but how didn't they see those guys inabilities? If Tony Pauline watched 7 hours of Artie Burns tape and graded him in the 3rd or later, then he sees the same things I do. Maybe Burns has this incredible work ethic and desire to be great?? Maybe its the intangibles?? I like you, hope that I am incorrect.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 7:53 pm

They declined his 5th year option.

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Did they formally decline or technically do they still have until 11:59 pm to announce?
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 8:37 pm

So, what happens now? Does he sign with someone else? Or does he sign a one year deal and test the market next year?
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 9:13 pm

OX1947 wrote:
So, what happens now? Does he sign with someone else? Or does he sign a one year deal and test the market next year?

Jones, who is entering the final year of the four-year contract that signed after being drafted in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft, will be allowed to test free agency next offseason if the two sides don’t work out an extension prior to the start of the 2017 league year. The Georgia product is currently scheduled to earn a base salary of $1,592,115 in 2016. Had the Steelers picked up Jones fifth-year option he would have been scheduled to earn $8.369 million in 2017.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/report-steelers-decline-fifth-year-option-lb-jarvis-jones/
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Jones wasn't the only sketchy first round pick in 2013 based on this article on other options being declined

The 2013 draft is looking more and more like a giant bust

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fifth-year-options-declined--mingo--warmack--ej-manuel--patterson-190443294.html

Something to consider when reviewing the grades on who graded out highly in last week's draft analysis before any draftee played a down in the NFL
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 02, 2016 11:30 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Jones wasn't the only sketchy first round pick in 2013 based on this article on other options being declined

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fifth-year-options-declined--mingo--warmack--ej-manuel--patterson-190443294.html

Something to consider when reviewing the grades on who graded out highly in last week's draft analysis before any draftee played a down in the NFL

Holy crap. the 2013 NFL Draft, 1st round looks like the 2000 NBA Draft in the first round. DeAndre Hopkins would have been the first overall pick if that draft was done again.
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 12:26 am

Yeah, one of the only things comforting me about the Jarvis Jones pick is that just about everybody else was a huge bust too.  Especially the pass-rushers, it's pretty insane that of the 6 edge rushers in that first round, Jarvis Jones has a pretty legitimate argument as the 2nd-best.

I was never more sure of or excited for a first round pick in recent memory though.  I watched Jarvis a ton in college, thought for sure he'd go top 5 and be a perennial Pro-Bowler.  He took over every Georgia game I saw.  When he fell I was ecstatic.  I was perfectly aware of the athleticism concerns but his production over multiple years in the SEC (when it was still the unquestioned best conference) just seemed like too much to not translate to the NFL.

Le'Veon Bell has been good enough to make up for the rest of the draft. I like to just pretend we picked him in the 1st and Wheaton in the 2nd.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 2:20 am

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

You figure, Jones has monster year and prices himself out of Steelers market or stinks and Steelers dont want him. Needs avg year to return

Doesn't mean Steelers will part ways with Jarvis Jones following 2016. But options are now his, not the Steelers, which could be good or bad

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 4:14 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:

It really put the things in perspectives. There are only 2 Pro Bowlers in the first 15 picks. And one of the best picks in the first round, Kyle Long, was considered a big reach at that time.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 9:16 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib  

You figure, Jones has monster year and prices himself out of Steelers market or stinks and Steelers dont want him. Needs avg year to return

Doesn't mean Steelers will part ways with Jarvis Jones following 2016. But options are now his, not the Steelers, which could be good or bad

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I've heard that the 5th year option is not guaranteed and there would be no impact to rescinding it from a cap perspective. Regardless, this is the right way to go. You know the Steelers aren't going to keep Harrison around to sit on the bench. So at best, Jones splits time somewhere around 50%. I wouldn't sign someone to +$8MM who played less than half the snaps in 2 years. We'll see if he can get 6-7 sacks and sign a modest deal for 3 years. If he can't he's done. But I don't see Jones getting >10 sacks this year with split time, therefore, he won't have monster numbers to sign a huge deal anywhere.

Last edited by kirklandrules on Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyTue May 03, 2016 10:06 am

Good move.

Maybe it will light a fire under his ass and get him to up his production.

If he rises to the occasion, extend him at a reasonable salary. If he plays like he already has....say goodbye.

IF he has a monster year and we can't afford him....well at least we got 1 good year out of him.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyThu May 05, 2016 12:17 am

Expect another round 1 OLB next year.

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyThu May 05, 2016 12:26 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
Expect another round 1 OLB next year.

I think it's depend on how they view about Anthony Chickillo and Travis Feeney development.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Players with most to prove for all 32 NFL teams

ESPN.com

From rebounding after a season-ending injury to getting in better shape, there are players on every team who face pivotal 2016 seasons. NFL Nation reporters take a look at one player from the teams they cover who has the most to prove.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pass-rusher Jarvis Jones

Jones enters a contract year and needs a productive 2016 campaign to show he belongs in the fold long term. The Steelers didn't pick up Jones' fifth-year option after the former first-round pick recorded five sacks in three years. Jones has shown glimpses of playmaking, but there's no ignoring the sack totals. That James Harrison still gets outside linebacker snaps at age 38 is probably not the best sign for Jones, who needs to separate himself. Wide receiver Markus Wheaton is also a candidate here. With Martavis Bryant out, there's an opening for the No. 2 receiver job. -- Jeremy Fowler

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x160523/nfl-players-most-prove-all-32-teams-free-agency-draft-picks-pivotal-season-jimmy-graham-eddie-lacy
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:12 pm

The Jarvis Jones and Shamarko Thomas saga's are just about over. A couple sad misses that don't look to be worthy of a roster spot in 2017.

I honestly am not sure Shamarko makes the 53 this year.
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:17 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
The Jarvis Jones and Shamarko Thomas saga's are just about over.  A couple sad misses that don't look to be worthy of a roster spot in 2017.  

I honestly am not sure Shamarko makes the 53 this year.

agreed. I can't take another Shamarko Punt return interference penalty
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 7:26 pm

all i can say is, thank god they finally put a rookie salary cap in place.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 11:47 pm

No matter what Joey Porter will never shut up no matter what the subject is!

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyWed May 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Jones ready to work

Steelers LB Jarvis Jones feels ready to take on the upcoming season:

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Jones-ready-to-work/9ee3bfd6-55ea-41f0-86b1-cc06c08bd3c3
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyWed May 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Jones says he will use the snub of the option year as motivation. I personally find this hilarious. This is what he needs to light a fire under his butt going into his 4th year?! I don't want the guy back even if he has 12 sacks. Pay him and his motivation goes away again. By the way, I think he'll be lucky if he gets 3 sacks.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyWed May 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Its the Subway jinx.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 Subway-tuscan-chicken-melt-ft-justin-tuck-jarvis-jones-large-10
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptySun May 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Cause and Effect: Three bold predictions for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2016

By Brett Foreman on May 29, 2016

Prediction No. 2: Jarvis Jones will record 8-10 sacks this year. Last season Jones started to show flashes of the player the Steelers thought they had when they drafted him in the first round in 2013. He’s going to come fully around that proverbial corner this year, thanks in part to the success of the three defensive linemen in front of him. The combination of Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave will require more help up front from opposing offenses, Bud Dupree will draw some double team or running back help and this will free up Jones to wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/5/29/11805998/cause-and-effect-three-bold-predictions-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 5:55 pm

If things go like many expect they will Friday night, Pittsburgh Steelers fourth-year outside linebacker Jarvis Jones will make his 2016 preseason debut:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/steelers-vs-saints-preseason-defensive-player-spotlight-olb-jarvis-jones/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next