Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+45
Steeler-in-west
BKAnthem
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
JPPT1974
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stryker
schillah
steelerdude15
Atlanta Dan
lotas
ImperialFan
marvology
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
HeinzMustard
DesertSteel
tony hipchest
jak341
Chaotic Zen
SteelerFreak58
Craziaskowboi
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerSpartan
steelcityboyz
steelersrush
Wallace108
Stella Nation
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
ETL
steelcrazy
pczach
harrison'samonster
steelstoned1972
Buddha Bus
fer69
vasteeler
Lokki
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Gonz - Not offended at all by your points. And no offense intended on my part. We both love the Steelers and it's a great time of year to have a healthy conversation.

In response to some of your points above:

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
-Jarvis Jones had 28 sacks his last 2 years in college.  Bruce Davis has 24.5 sacks his last 2 seasons in college.  Its a close comparison.

In sacks, yes you can compare them. However, I was considering the type of players they are.

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
- Bruce Davis had no real great outside rush, nor inside counter, nor bull rush.  A lot of his sacks he got to the QB on hustle, closing speed and the QB holding onto the ball too long. Jarvis Jones doesnt have any great outside move, hand use, nor an inside counter.  All he has is a bull rush and hustle when I watch his Georgia tape.

I thought a good part of Jones' sacks came from a quick outside move that beat the tackle to the edge and a bull rush. Isn't it funny how people think Jones isn't strong and yet he was bull rushing some of the best OTs in college football? But as always, the OTs in the NFL are stronger and, therefore, Jones needed to get stronger. I don't see the big deal ... every college player has to get better to play at the next level.

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
- Bruce Davis had no real great outside rush, nor inside counter, nor bull rush.  A lot of his sacks he got to the QB on hustle, closing speed and the QB holding onto the ball too long. Jarvis Jones doesnt have any great outside move, hand use, nor an inside counter.  All he has is a bull rush and hustle when I watch his Georgia tape.

O.k. I've watched just about every game Jones played in at Georgia (and watched almost none of his highlight videos). Jones is not slow and could beat OTs on the outside. I never heard or read anyone calling him slow, or not fast enough, until his dismal 40 time at his pro day. Then everyone seemed to jump on the band wagon that he was slow. Watch his 40 yard run and you will see he visibly has a hitch on one of his steps where he strains his hammy. It's not like he's slow and tried to use a bogus injury as an excuse. Colbert knew he had an opportunity to get someone that should have gone long before the Steelers selected because of that run.

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
-You say that Jones beat a good LT vs Carolina with a good inside move to sack Cam Newton.  I would ask that you look up that play on youtube and evaluate it.  I think the LT was deemed to be statistically the worst LT in the NFL last year and Jones countered inside, put his head down and while out of control knocked the ball out of Newtons hand with the back of his helmet.  Great effort and hustle, but no technique......that play is a microcosm of JJ's skill set IMO.

I never said he beat a good LT. I said "he made a very good inside move to beat the tackle and put a hit on Cam Newton". Look, I live in Charlotte and can tell you the offensive line stunk for them last season. My point was, it didn't matter if that guy was good or not, Jones made a great move to get inside ... he showed an inside move he never showed before. And I really don't care if he was out of control and hit the ball with the back of his helmet. He made a big play at a critical time, that really turned the tide of the game. He could have beat Newton over the head with Mike Mitchell's pulled groin for all I care. He made a play that very much was lacking for most of last year. He pressured the QB, got a hit on him, caused a turnover and gave the offense a great scoring opportunity. Half the time you see any defensive player pressuring the QB, they're usually coming in out of control. That's the nature of playing fast and reckless.

In the 2.5 games he started last year, he looked improved from his rookie season. He appears to have gotten bigger since last year and the reports that he was busting his butt with Harrison during the off-season have me optimistic that he can build upon that and be better.  You're right, Peezy is hopefully showing this guy how to incorporate more technique in his game to help him become a huge asset at that OLB spot. And that's another thing that has me optimistic ... Porter is now coaching just the OLBs and should have much more time to work with that group of guys (instead of combine ILBs and OLBs sessions).
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 6:58 pm

KirklandRules, you would have watched more Georgia games than I had.  I broke down his tape that was online and saw a few games.  In the Bowl game vs. Michigan St that year(fun to watch with LeVeon Bell), he didn't look impactful at all.  Alec Ogletree looked like one of the best defensive players for the Dawgs, not Jones.

"I just see him as a one-position player," Brandt told us Tuesday night by phone. "I see him as a guy that's going to play with his hand on the ground and he's going to try hard, and he's going to come close to making sacks, but he's not going to have 14.5 (sacks) like he did at Georgia."

After choosing to sit out workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine, Jones underwhelmed at Georgia's pro day.

"I don't think he can play in space. I don't think he can be a 3-4 'backer that can drop into space and be effective," Brandt continued. "When you see him come from one side and try to chase down a play, he doesn't have that speed that you really need to have to play that position when he's chasing a guy.

"I think he's one of those guys that when you're rushing the passer, he's going to almost get there, but not quite."

Brandt said he's "probably too harsh" on Jones, but despite his assessment, he believes the linebacker still will come off the board in the first round. Jones is just not Brandt's flavor of ice cream
  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156934/article/jarvis-jones-has-glaring-weaknesses-gil-brandt-says

I didn't see the straight line speed.  I didn't see anything that related to having some kind of pass rush technique.  I didn't see him blow by anybody on the outside......other than some guys that are driving UPS trucks right now.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 am

Just another analyst who made his decision based on the poor 40 time. Again, no one was saying Jones was slow during his play at Georgia. After the slow 40 time, analysts were all lining up saying he was slow and that a 4.9 is the difference between a college sack and no-quite-getting-there in the NFL. That's not even a true statement ... running a 4.9 won't get you to the QB in the SEC. And it's not indicative of the speed and results he showed at Georgia.

I have a lot of respect for Mike Mayock's player analysis. Here's Jones' NFL draft profile with Mayock's input:

Mayock wrote:
"He's a pretty good fit there in Pittsburgh. If you look at the Pittsburgh edge at linebackers, this kid fits from a body type and an explosion perspective. I think he'll get on the field and challenge Jason Worilds for the starting spot."

NFL Draft Profile wrote:
Strengths Versatile linebacker with a chance to play inside or outside. Possesses a very good first step to pressure tackles' upfield shoulder. Also has closing speed and short-area quickness to keep contain outside and crash down on inside runs. Strong tackler with excellent length and upper-body strength to wrap up ball carriers. Gets under the pads of tackles, keeps his feet churning to maintain leverage. Brings heavy hands, can rip off to get around the edge or cut inside to stop quarterbacks from stepping up in the pocket. Works through double-teams if the quarterback hangs onto the ball in the pocket. Holds his ground against pulling guards and fullbacks. Capable of locking up tight ends off the edge in coverage, also sorts out multiple routes in his direction to make a play on the correct one. Gets his hands up to affect passing lanes.

Weaknesses One-year starter. Inconsistent using his hands to disengage from better blocks and to beat cut blocks from running backs in pass protection. Lacks an ideal frame to get much bigger and doesn't have the growth potential or the bulk teams want at the position. Will need to prove he can stay with NFL ball carriers in space when dropping into the flat. Not particularly smooth in deep drops. Doesn't have elite bend around the corner, and could use a spin or other counter move to keep tackles guessing. Missed the last five games of the 2009 with a neck injury, part of his senior year in high school with a broken thumb. There is some concern about his long-term durability due to his spinal stenosis condition, the same ailment that has caused some players to call it quits, including Marcus McNeill, Chris Samuels and Michael Irvin.

Here's the link to the entire profile:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jarvis-jones?id=2540137

Note that nowhere are they saying he's slow or can't get to the QB.

I really can't defend games where he didn't put up highlights. That happens to every player (where was Harrison in the Raven's playoff game?). But for every game you point to that he didn't have sacks or huge plays, I can point to games like he had against Florida with 4 sacks and was dominant. The OLB position is a position of feast or famine. Sometimes the opposition will devise a scheme to minimize the impact of a dominate OLB (rollouts in the opposite direction, draw plays to keep him guessing, extra blocker or RB on that side to chip or double team).
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:47 pm

I think if you are saying Gil Brandt just made his analysis based upon a 40 time alone, then you may not know much of Brandt's football resume, or are just saying that to support your decision. Brandt isnt a guy that just evaluates based upon metrics.

As for Mayock, I honestly value his judgement in DB's, but there are a lot of things in line play that he doesnt get IMO and has missed upon badly. He was slobering all over Tyson Jackson years ago, when I noted that Jackson didnt engage linemen readliy and was often handled by solid TE's. Mayock downgraded Alex Mack from "being on the ground too much in his tape", when I saw Mack as a guy that finished blocks with effort and sometimes that effort had him end up on the ground. Mayock had Herman Johnson of LSU as a top 5 guard and I knew the guy wasnt athletic enough to be impactful in the NFL.

I'm not a fan of Mayock in evaluating line talent, I think he is outstanding on DB's. I know Bucky Brooks was high on Jones too and again I didnt see it. Tony Pauline is a guy that I often see similar evaluations as, and he said Jones is an "ultra talented LB". I hope they are correct and its shown this season.

Its just my opinion and when I looked a Jones tape, I said that he doesnt have any pass rush moves, has heavy hands and tons of motor, but looked to get his sacks on hustle and cases where the QB held onto the ball for 5 seconds +. I didnt see elite quickness or speed, but I thought Jones was somebody that was "a real good football player", but somebody that would need to learn some pass rush skill to compete against NFL OT's. I didnt think he was going to contribute year 1 and thought he might matchup better against RT's, but that may not be the case.

kirklandrules wrote:
Just another analyst who made his decision based on the poor 40 time. Again, no one was saying Jones was slow during his play at Georgia. After the slow 40 time, analysts were all lining up saying he was slow and that a 4.9 is the difference between a college sack and no-quite-getting-there in the NFL. That's not even a true statement ... running a 4.9 won't get you to the QB in the SEC. And it's not indicative of the speed and results he showed at Georgia.

I have a lot of respect for Mike Mayock's player analysis. Here's Jones' NFL draft profile with Mayock's input:

Mayock wrote:
"He's a pretty good fit there in Pittsburgh. If you look at the Pittsburgh edge at linebackers, this kid fits from a body type and an explosion perspective. I think he'll get on the field and challenge Jason Worilds for the starting spot."

NFL Draft Profile wrote:
Strengths Versatile linebacker with a chance to play inside or outside. Possesses a very good first step to pressure tackles' upfield shoulder. Also has closing speed and short-area quickness to keep contain outside and crash down on inside runs. Strong tackler with excellent length and upper-body strength to wrap up ball carriers. Gets under the pads of tackles, keeps his feet churning to maintain leverage. Brings heavy hands, can rip off to get around the edge or cut inside to stop quarterbacks from stepping up in the pocket. Works through double-teams if the quarterback hangs onto the ball in the pocket. Holds his ground against pulling guards and fullbacks. Capable of locking up tight ends off the edge in coverage, also sorts out multiple routes in his direction to make a play on the correct one. Gets his hands up to affect passing lanes.

Weaknesses One-year starter. Inconsistent using his hands to disengage from better blocks and to beat cut blocks from running backs in pass protection. Lacks an ideal frame to get much bigger and doesn't have the growth potential or the bulk teams want at the position. Will need to prove he can stay with NFL ball carriers in space when dropping into the flat. Not particularly smooth in deep drops. Doesn't have elite bend around the corner, and could use a spin or other counter move to keep tackles guessing. Missed the last five games of the 2009 with a neck injury, part of his senior year in high school with a broken thumb. There is some concern about his long-term durability due to his spinal stenosis condition, the same ailment that has caused some players to call it quits, including Marcus McNeill, Chris Samuels and Michael Irvin.

Here's the link to the entire profile:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jarvis-jones?id=2540137

Note that nowhere are they saying he's slow or can't get to the QB.

I really can't defend games where he didn't put up highlights. That happens to every player (where was Harrison in the Raven's playoff game?). But for every game you point to that he didn't have sacks or huge plays, I can point to games like he had against Florida with 4 sacks and was dominant. The OLB position is a position of feast or famine. Sometimes the opposition will devise a scheme to minimize the impact of a dominate OLB (rollouts in the opposite direction, draw plays to keep him guessing, extra blocker or RB on that side to chip or double team).
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 8:22 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I think if you are saying Gil Brandt just made his analysis based upon a 40 time alone, then you may not know much of Brandt's football resume, or are just saying that to support your decision.  Brandt isnt a guy that just evaluates based upon metrics.

As for Mayock, I honestly value his judgement in DB's, but there are a lot of things in line play that he doesnt get IMO and has missed upon badly.  He was slobering all over Tyson Jackson years ago, when I noted that Jackson didnt engage linemen readliy and was often handled by solid TE's.  Mayock downgraded Alex Mack from "being on the ground too much in his tape", when I saw Mack as a guy that finished blocks with effort and sometimes that effort had him end up on the ground.  Mayock had Herman Johnson of LSU as a top 5 guard and I knew the guy wasnt athletic enough to be impactful in the NFL.

I'm not a fan of Mayock in evaluating line talent, I think he is outstanding on DB's.  I know Bucky Brooks was high on Jones too and again I didnt see it.  Tony Pauline is a guy that I often see similar evaluations as, and he said Jones is an "ultra talented LB".  I hope they are correct and its shown this season.

Its just my opinion and when I looked a Jones tape, I said that he doesnt have any pass rush moves, has heavy hands and tons of motor, but looked to get his sacks on hustle and cases where the QB held onto the ball for 5 seconds +.  I didnt see elite quickness or speed, but I thought Jones was somebody that was "a real good football player", but somebody that would need to learn some pass rush skill to compete against NFL OT's.  I didnt think he was going to contribute year 1 and thought he might matchup better against RT's, but that may not be the case.

What I was saying is that Brandt made his comments on Jones after the 40 time. The idea that he only beat tackles that are now driving UPS trucks is insulting and shows he has a negative bias.

Anyways, everyone has their detractors: Timmons was a bust, Harrison didn't have any worthy moves in college and took several years to figure it out, Bradshaw took 4+ years to look like an NFL QB, etc, etc. I have to imagine if Jones doesn't show improvement, he won't last beyond his rookie contract (and I wouldn't want to see him stay). Just my opinion that he'll show his worth.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Jarvis Jones' stock is down:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-2015-training-camp-stock-report-day-5/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 10:28 am

kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I think if you are saying Gil Brandt just made his analysis based upon a 40 time alone, then you may not know much of Brandt's football resume, or are just saying that to support your decision.  Brandt isnt a guy that just evaluates based upon metrics.

As for Mayock, I honestly value his judgement in DB's, but there are a lot of things in line play that he doesnt get IMO and has missed upon badly.  He was slobering all over Tyson Jackson years ago, when I noted that Jackson didnt engage linemen readliy and was often handled by solid TE's.  Mayock downgraded Alex Mack from "being on the ground too much in his tape", when I saw Mack as a guy that finished blocks with effort and sometimes that effort had him end up on the ground.  Mayock had Herman Johnson of LSU as a top 5 guard and I knew the guy wasnt athletic enough to be impactful in the NFL.

I'm not a fan of Mayock in evaluating line talent, I think he is outstanding on DB's.  I know Bucky Brooks was high on Jones too and again I didnt see it.  Tony Pauline is a guy that I often see similar evaluations as, and he said Jones is an "ultra talented LB".  I hope they are correct and its shown this season.

Its just my opinion and when I looked a Jones tape, I said that he doesnt have any pass rush moves, has heavy hands and tons of motor, but looked to get his sacks on hustle and cases where the QB held onto the ball for 5 seconds +.  I didnt see elite quickness or speed, but I thought Jones was somebody that was "a real good football player", but somebody that would need to learn some pass rush skill to compete against NFL OT's.  I didnt think he was going to contribute year 1 and thought he might matchup better against RT's, but that may not be the case.

What I was saying is that Brandt made his comments on Jones after the 40 time. The idea that he only beat tackles that are now driving UPS trucks is insulting and shows he has a negative bias.

Anyways, everyone has their detractors: Timmons was a bust, Harrison didn't have any worthy moves in college and took several years to figure it out, Bradshaw took 4+ years to look like an NFL QB, etc, etc. I have to imagine if Jones doesn't show improvement, he won't last beyond his rookie contract (and I wouldn't want to see him stay). Just my opinion that he'll show his worth.

The comment regarding UPS drivers was my own brand of sarcastic humor, not a comment by Gil Brandt. Its because I cant see how any decent NFL prospect O lineman would ever give up a sack to Jarvis Jones with his limited pass rush skill while he was at UGA, other than on a stunt or momentary lapse in technique. Honestly, if somebody could show me on a highlight video where Jones beat a skilled O lineman in college with a good move, I'd really be excited to see it and impressed.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 10:01 am

Bicep contusion.....please........what's next, held out of practice because of a hangnail.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Steelers LB Jarvis Jones, WR Eli Rogers Leave Monday’s Practice Early

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-lb-jarvis-jones-wr-eli-rogers-leave-mondays-practice-early/
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 8:02 pm

He put on 15 lbs this off season. No wonder he looks so fat.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 am

Kaboly: Steelers LB Jarvis Jones puts on some weight

August 4, 2015 by Mark Kaboly

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 JArvis

You can call Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones a lot of things, but you can’t call him too small anymore.

Jones sheepishly told me on Monday that he us up about 15 pounds from last year to 258 putting him closer to the weight the Steelers typically like to have their outside linebackers.

Jones didn’t want to reveal his increased size because “people will make a big deal of it.”

Jones, the Steelers first-round pick in 2013, has always balked at the idea of needing to add weight citing that he never has been put on his back by a lineman before.

Jones spent a portion of his offseason in Arizona working out with teammates James Harrison, Vince Williams, Sean Spence and others.

to read rest of article:

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2015/08/04/kaboly-steelers-lb-jarvis-jones-puts-on-some-weight/#ixzz3hp3EilJi
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Joey Porter: No more patience for Jarvis Jones

Posted by Josh Alper on August 5, 2015

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 Cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqwytgzmmy1nwq5yzk3mgvhy2fhndnhzmewnde1mjrm-e1438786183602

Much has been made this offseason of the need for the Steelers to see a bigger return on the high draft picks they’ve used on the defensive side of the ball over the last few years.

Linebacker Jarvis Jones is part of that group and he’s one of the players that Pittsburgh is counting on playing a big role in a more effective defense this season. Jones got off to a good start last year, but a wrist injury a few weeks into the season knocked him out for much of the year and Jones didn’t contribute much upon his return to the lineup.

Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said he thinks that Jones can make an impact and shares what he told Jones about how urgent it is that he make that impact this season.

“The first year was the first year, you don’t judge that,” Porter said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “The second year I thought you started off pretty good. You had two sacks in the first three games and then you got hurt. So they’ll be patient with you then. But please believe they’re counting on you to have a big year this year, they are. You’re going to get scrutinized, I’m going to get scrutinized...

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/05/joey-porter-no-more-patience-for-jarvis-jones/
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 2:02 pm

so far jones is having a good camp...

i heard he beat dri archer with a strong bull rush and forced landry jones into making an off target throw. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 2981382511 It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 1664291743

. .
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
so far jones is having a good camp...

i heard he beat dri archer with a strong bull rush and forced landry jones into making an off target throw.  It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 2981382511 It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 1664291743

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 3562723908
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 10:19 pm

Jarvis Jones knows the pressure is on

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jarvis Jones cannot wait to play against the Minnesota Vikings Sunday night in Canton, Ohio. Neither can his position coach, Joey Porter, who pulls no punches about the high expectations the Steelers have for this former first-round draft choice.

For one, Jones needs to get away from his own offensive teammates. It was somewhat of a difficult first week in pads for the Steelers’ starting right outside linebacker, their first-round draft choice in 2013. By most accounts, Jones did not win many of the duels in the popular backs-on-backers drills or when he lined up against such left tackles as Kelvin Beachum and Alejandro Villanueva.

If it is any consolation, Jack Lambert was not a star in those one-on-one matchups, either.

There can be reasons for some players not standing out in early going practices at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, despite their talent level. It is especially true for a pass rusher who sometimes needs to work in several moves over the course of a game and set up a tackle early on for later on.

READ MORE: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/05/steele/stories/201508050052

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Steelers' linebacker Jones has underwhelmed, but he is used to dealing with adversity

By Mark Kaboly
Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 Jpeg

Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones works with outside linebackers coach Joey Porter during practice at St. Vincent in Latrobe.

At some point this year, Jarvis Jones is going to face adversity. He knows it.

Whether it is fending off 37-year-old James Harrison for playing time or overcoming the “bust” label, the former first-rounder's future with the Steelers will be determined by how he deals with adverse situations.

That's just fine with him. If adversity is the only thing standing in Jones' way, he has to like his chances.

Jones already has overcome it once, but under more dire circumstances.

It was a decade ago in the tiny town of Richland, Ga., that a 15-year-old Jones had his life changed forever.

Jones' older brother, Darcell Kitchens, was shot and killed on his 19th birthday outside of a bar down the street from the family's home.

“I was devastated,” Jones said. “Me and my brother were very close. It is something that I think about all of the time. It always motivates me to be a better person.”

At the time, that's not how Jones looked at it.

Jones, who was with his brother most of the day, struggled to deal with Kitchens' death.

Jones quickly spiraled out of control. He was expelled from middle school, then kicked out of an alternative school a couple of months later after fighting with classmates. He was banned from attending school in Stewart County.

“I made some bad decisions,” Jones said.

With help from a family he befriended while playing basketball, Jones turned his life around. He became one of the top recruits in the nation out of high school.

“It makes me a stronger person just having to deal with things every day,” Jones said. “People on the outside don't know what some people have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. I learned from that, and it definitely made me a stronger person. It made me a stronger person and the person that I am today.

“It is not how you drive, but how you arrive.”

Jones is hoping that holds true for his NFL career.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/8801921-74/story#ixzz3iBUrJDiX
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 11:34 am

Yesterday Coach Butler suggest that Harrison and moats will be the starters and Jones and bud Dupree will have to work their way in a heavy rotation

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 11:45 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Yesterday Coach Butler suggest that Harrison and moats will be the starters and Jones and bud Dupree will have to work their way in a heavy rotation

Tomlin said something similar to that which is posted in the PG. Quote is below.

Tomlin said as of now the two starting outside linebackers are veterans Arthur Moates and James Harrison. He said that could change but Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree will need to show “consistent above-the-line play”
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 12:05 pm

James Harrison- "Stunting growth since 2007"

That's good though. If Tom Brady plays week one I want James to administer his own brand of punishment

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 2:32 pm

by Bob Labriola

Coach Mike Tomlin talked about a variety of things in advance of the Steelers’ preseason opener against the Minnesota Vikings in the Hall of Fame Game:

Q. How are Bud Dupree and Jarvis Jones, the two No. 1 picks at the outside linebacker position, coming along?

A. Doing a lot of great things. I’ve been pleased with the performances of those guys so far. I’m excited about watching them play in the stadium. They’re talented people. They work extremely hard. They do a good job of communicating. I think the arrow is pointed up with those two.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/On-going-for-2-cover-2-trading-picks/4ff14a66-273c-4950-b5fa-b54d671aaac1
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 1:31 am

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

Villanueva not having a great showing either today. Jarvis Jones beat him twice in three matchups.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 9:10 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Villanueva not having a great showing either today. Jarvis Jones beat him twice in three matchups.

So does that count as a good showing by Jones that he can beat Villanueva,... but not Beachum?
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 10:14 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

So does that count as a good showing by Jones that he can beat Villanueva,... but not Beachum?

he nearly beat dri archer for a sack as well.  the arrow is definitely pointing up.

(im amazed SD stepped offa villanuevas nuts long enough to be objective.)

. .
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 12:11 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Based on SD's reporting, I'd say Jones ranks above Villanueva and ahead of the Vikings 3rd stringers who made Villanueva look good the other night. But maybe behind Beachum.

All kidding aside, I'm not worried about who beats who in these drills. If you try to draw anything from it, then we should worry if Beachum loses more than 2% of the time. Because a 5% loss rate in the regular season equates to about 5 sacks in 2.5 games ... which sucks.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 2:06 am

I hope Jones was still injured this last game, because if you watch him play you see that Luke Jokel handled him pretty easily, but he struggled with 37 year old James Harrison. If he can't outplay a 37 year old in his 3rd season, he likely isn't going to be part of this team much past this season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next