Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+45
Steeler-in-west
BKAnthem
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
JPPT1974
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stryker
schillah
steelerdude15
Atlanta Dan
lotas
ImperialFan
marvology
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
HeinzMustard
DesertSteel
tony hipchest
jak341
Chaotic Zen
SteelerFreak58
Craziaskowboi
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerSpartan
steelcityboyz
steelersrush
Wallace108
Stella Nation
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
ETL
steelcrazy
pczach
harrison'samonster
steelstoned1972
Buddha Bus
fer69
vasteeler
Lokki
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptySun May 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Rossi: To take Harrison's place, Steelers' Jones needs strong grip

By Rob Rossi
Saturday, May 30, 2015

His grip isn't strong enough yet. Jarvis Jones knows that must change if he wants to keep James Harrison from ripping the Steelers' starting right outside linebacker job from him.

So to beat out Harrison, Jones joined him for workouts — and, more important, mentoring sessions — that may shape the future of the Steelers' most prominent defensive position.

“It was pretty awesome,” Jones said. “He's been an open book. I think he's a future Hall of Famer. So I watched and learned and listened to everything he had to say.”

Harrison's message was the same Joey Porter once passed to him: Win during offseason workouts to win on the Sundays and Mondays during the NFL season.

Might seem strange for a veteran to bring along his replacement, but that's the way it works at this particular position for the franchise that has made it a calling card. The Steelers Way is to be ready with a Next Man Up. And that Next Man has often gone onto great things.

But Jones isn't Harrison in shape, form or temperament, and that might be why he's been a tough sell to a Steelers Nation that likes its outside backers to be just plain nasty.

It's all right for everybody to settle for just plain good, and I predict Jones is about to show us he'll at least become that.

He opened last season with 14 combined tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. That happened in three games. He showed glimpses of becoming what the Steelers believed he would when they selected him 17th overall in the 2013 NFL Draft.

What you might not remember about Jones' start to last season was how rarely he was pushed backward at the point of contact, the inside-rush technique he began to develop, the flow that showed because he better understood one of football's most complicated defenses.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/8429616-74/jones-steelers-harrison#ixzz3bkLfxCom
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 am

tony hipchest wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Fact And Fiction: Jarvis Jones, The Pass Rusher

Few players on the Pittsburgh Steelers current roster have been criticized as much as outside linebacker Jarvis Jones throughout the edge rusher’s first two seasons ...

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/fact-and-fiction-jarvis-jones-the-pass-rusher/

Interesting, but I don't agree with the analysis.
ive learned that sometimes you have to take SteelersDepot "analysis" worth a grain of salt.  Lots of times they have an agenda, or point they are trying to prove or cling to.

Like this article for example, they will take Jarvis Jones best play out of his 2 year career, and disect every second of the video clip to show his impending potential for greatness.

in the meantime, when the steelers mike adams gives up a single sack in a game, they will disect that play exactly the same, and write 3 articles about it as proof that he sucks and will forever suck (ignoring his 60 good plays where a sack wasnt surrendered.  

You might be right about an agenda ... not sure I've paid enough attention to notice (honestly, I always assume a writer has an agenda, it's just a matter of if that agenda agrees with my thinking It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 3798349058 ).

My issue is the analysis of Jones' play isn't accurate, IMHO. The easiest one to talk through is the last video analysis. Jones and the ILB (I think it's Williams) do a crossfire blitz (don't worry about the terminology as every team/school will call plays by different names). The writer critisizes Jones for not bull rushing the left guard and ultimately overpowering him. That's not his job on that play and it's not a realisitic expectation. Most OLB are not going to bull rush a guard to the point that you pancake the guy and get to the QB. Sorry, but James Harrison wouldn't have been able to do that either.

On that play, Jones' job is to entice the left tackle and left guard to block him, leaving the ILB free to loop around the outside untouched. I think Jones did just enough as you see the left tackle take a strong inside step to stop Jones. The play doesn't work because the Panthers run a waggle to the right, away from the blitz. When Cam Newton rolls to his right, Jones' job then is to squeeze down the line to prevent a cutback ... which is what he does. There's a small seam that looks as if Jones might be able to squeeze through between the guard and center, but the center takes a step and provides a brief doubleteam to prevent Jones for gaining access to the backfield.

In the end, Jones did his job well. It was just unfortunate that the Panthers called a play heading in the opposite direction. If you are trying to prove a point that Jones isn't strong enough, skilled enough, or not knowledgable enough at his position, don't use a play that provides no chance to succeed ... you lose credibility.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 10:00 am

I remember a lot of Steeler Nation say what a bust Timmons was so chill out and watch Jones have a good year.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 12:57 pm

i expect jones to have a good year. he has to... its time.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora Jun 2 -

Jarvis Jones is the McRib of the Steelers' roster. Either you abhor it or you are blindly in love and can't wait for its return.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 11:33 am

Its time to shut up about McDonalds sandwhiches...

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

in this pic from OTAs, Jarvis does look bigger in his upper body...

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 5965a2a51ba52b5bea135cd191de763b
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:15 am

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

Two important pieces to the Steelers' defense in 2015. #Steelers

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 CHFheW8W8AEKaaf

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 9:13 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 5965a2a51ba52b5bea135cd191de763b

if by "upper body" you mean his flabby face, stomach, and arms... then i agree.

"sacmanjones_95" must refer to all the sack lunches he been eating in the offseason.  It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1689750825

#mcribs #mcmunchies #doublequarterpounderwithbaconandcheese

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 11:20 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

"sacmanjones_95" must refer to all the sack lunches he been eating in the offseason.  It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1689750825

Yeah, Moats had 4 sacks last year for the Steelers. Sackmanjones95 has 3 sacks his entire career. Its a bit early to gloss himself with a name like that.

Its time for Sackmanjones95 to shut up about Jarvis Jones !
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 11:32 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

That is so damned funny. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1549491426

I'm wondering what he did to make his right leg grow longer than his left. He's listing like a sinking ship. That can't be good for his 40 time!
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 pm

kirklandrules wrote:

That is so damned funny. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1549491426

I'm wondering what he did to make his right leg grow longer than his left. He's listing like a sinking ship. That can't be good for his 40 time!
It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1664291743 It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1664291743 It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 1664291743

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 am

Porter teaching young LBs how to get to the QB

By Mike Prisuta

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 0630105-porter-dupree-minicamp-CP

Joey Porter has adopted a familiar tactic when trying to drive home a point while coaching the Steelers’ outside linebackers.

“I always mess with them,” said Porter, a defensive assistant last season who was given a position after former linebackers coach Keith Butler was named defensive coordinator. “I tell them, ‘You could put all your sacks together and you won’t have as many as me so you’re going to listen to me. You can put all your sacks together and I’d still have more than you, so why wouldn’t you listen to me when I’m trying to tell you how to get to the quarterback?"

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Porter-teaching-young-LBs-how-to-get-to-the-QB/41356ac8-bfe6-4a7b-b0cd-b4f9b9d298f8?campaign=social_20150630_48406906&adbid=10153514476484905&adbpl=fb&adbpr=146175949904
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Porter teaching young LBs how to get to the QB

By Mike Prisuta

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 0630105-porter-dupree-minicamp-CP

Joey Porter has adopted a familiar tactic when trying to drive home a point while coaching the Steelers’ outside linebackers.

“I always mess with them,” said Porter, a defensive assistant last season who was given a position after former linebackers coach Keith Butler was named defensive coordinator. “I tell them, ‘You could put all your sacks together and you won’t have as many as me so you’re going to listen to me. You can put all your sacks together and I’d still have more than you, so why wouldn’t you listen to me when I’m trying to tell you how to get to the quarterback?"

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Porter-teaching-young-LBs-how-to-get-to-the-QB/41356ac8-bfe6-4a7b-b0cd-b4f9b9d298f8?campaign=social_20150630_48406906&adbid=10153514476484905&adbpl=fb&adbpr=146175949904
Great article!! Fantastic read on what it takes to be an effective pass rusher!

“What I’m trying to teach my guys is if you’re going to be a one-trick pony you better have a damn good trick. You gotta have a complement to your favorite move.”

Its the part I saw from Jones in his college tape...he doesn't have a good one trick, let alone a counter move. He doesn't have the athleticism or quickness that Dupree or Moats have. Even Chickillo has great 10 yard quickness and get off. I think Jarvis Jones is just a good football player with great motor and I hope that Porter can help him with some pass rush moves, but I honestly think he is destined to be a rotational OLB and not somebody that will get double digit sacks in a season.
Back to top Go down
steelcityboyz

steelcityboyz

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say JJ gets 7 sacks this season.. I really think he's finding his groove. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 469886443
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 8:14 pm

LB tops the 5 key positions heading to 2015 season

By Gerry Dulac

RUNDOWN

It is likely the Steelers will start four No. 1 picks at linebacker, perhaps as early as the opener in New England.

It will only be a matter of time before Bud Dupree, their No. 1 choice, moves in as the starter at left outside linebacker ahead of veteran Arthur Moats. The Steelers needed a replacement for Jason Worilds, and they think they found him.

Dupree is 6-foot-4, 269 pounds, but he is freakishly athletic for his size. He can rush the passer and drop into coverage, and has the football smarts to quickly pick up the defense. The hope is he will pair with former No. 1 pick Jarvis Jones to provide the type of productive outside tandem the Steelers once enjoyed with Joey Porter and Jason Gildon or James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Jones enters his third season and has to start to show why he was a No. 1 pick. This is a big year for him...

to read rest of article:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/07/01/Key-position-No-2-New-faces-will-abound-in-secondary/stories/201507010003
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 pm

--- The Steelers did a disservice to themselves and to Jarvis Jones by starting him as a rookie at right outside linebacker in 2013. Incredibly, they started him instead of Jason Worilds. No rookie started at outside linebacker on a regular basis since the 1970s and none in the 3-4 defense other than the answer to a trivia question regarding another Jones – Aaron Jones started the first game of his rookie season in 1988 at outside linebacker, then he moved to right defensive end and started a total of 12 games as a rookie.

The Steelers should have started Worilds and eased Jarvis Jones into the lineup the way they did LaMarr Woodley his rookie season, spotting him in passing situations to let him rush the quarterback. That history lesson is a reason they are more likely to use rookie Bud Dupree the way they did Woodley, by using him in small doses to spell Arthur Moats at left outside linebacker and letting him have a little success before they throw him in fulltime.

--- Yes, the starting lineup on defense appears set entering camp, despite the fact that defense was not very good last season. That does not mean there cannot be good competition at some spots such as cornerback, strong safety and especially nose tackle, where Daniel McCullers has a chance to make his move on Steve McLendon. As it is, there will be five new starters since the end of last season – Jarvis Jones, Moats, Ryan Shazier, Cortez Allen and Shamarko Thomas.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/07/20/Roethlisberger-et-al-Don-t-Need-Work-Yet/stories/201507200001
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

It's to be expected if he's trying to put on weight. A lot of weightlifters put on a decent amount of fat during their bulk phase, which he probably was doing a lot of since the coaches say he needs to get stronger / bigger. He's prob gonna slim down before camp.

not saying he doesnt look fatter, but he's also carrying a lot more muscle than last year
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 am

PRE-CAMP ANALYSIS: LBs

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

At LB, there's going to be a difference between making the team and making an impact.

There will be 14 of them at Saint Vincent College when training camp opens, and four of those 14 entered the league as No. 1 draft picks. Clearly the Steelers have invested in this important position, and it’s time for that investment to start paying dividends.

Like the situation at so many other positions, the Steelers go into this 2015 training camp with a pretty good idea of ‘who’ their linebackers will be, but it’s the ‘how much’ will they contribute to the defense that’s going to end up telling the tale. The starters when camp opens are going to be Arthur Moats, Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Shazier, and Jarvis Jones, and it would help if those four got to spend a lot of time on the practice fields together this summer. Shazier had his development as a rookie slowed by a training camp injury.

“Well, when I talked to Ryan he was disappointed with last year, not playing a lot,” said inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky. “He has to realize it's a different game than college, and he's not head and shoulders above everyone athletically. There are a lot more people closer to him in terms of ability. So we're working on things, keeping his legs clean. He got hurt because he got rolled-up twice. If you don't get rolled up, then you don't get hurt.”

And if you don’t get hurt, the rhythm that develops from repetitions together begins to show itself in games.

Like Shazier, Jones is a former No. 1 pick who has had his development slowed by injury. There were some nicks during camp in 2013, but the big injury for him was the dislocated wrist in the third game of the 2014 season. At the time he was hurt, Jones had two sacks plus a pressure in five halves of football.

“I thought Jarvis was playing good last year until he got hurt,” said outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, “so it doesn’t bother me on how it ended last year with Jarvis.”

When Jones came to the Steelers as the 17th player drafted in 2013, he was coming off two seasons at Georgia where he led the NCAA in sacks both times, where he had 28 sacks in 26 games. It’s believed Jones will be productive in the NFL, because he has shown a knack for being around the football. This Steelers defense is going to need a big dose of that.

“I’ve been encouraged with Jarvis,” Porter said. “I think Jarvis has had a good offseason. He’s getting stronger. He’s doing some things that he knows he needs to do to get better for this year. He’s not naive to know what he’s done so far. It doesn’t meet his standards, and he knows there’s a lot more in there.”

The development of Jones and Shazier, both as individuals and as components in their defensive unit, is a box that must be checked off during this training camp. Timmons is the third No. 1 pick among the starters, and he turned in a Pro Bowl season in 2014. Arthur Moats figures to open the season as the starter at left outside linebacker, with the hope being that 2015’s No. 1 pick – Bud Dupree – can become a contributor in situations as the season progresses...

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/PRE-CAMP-ANALYSIS-LBs/25ccf051-7f4f-4a2b-bbe4-f581185fc288
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 9:14 am

Good article 5-0! Just another example of Porter running off at the mouth about Jarvis Jones. Rolling Eyes

On a serious note, I'll say it again, Timmons was labeled a bust for his first 2 seasons. Tomlin likes to tell people that it takes a few years for these guys to get stronger and in sync with the speed of the game. Jones should do well this year.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 12:41 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Good article 5-0! Just another example of Porter running off at the mouth about Jarvis Jones. Rolling Eyes

On a serious note, I'll say it again, Timmons was labeled a bust for his first 2 seasons. Tomlin likes to tell people that it takes a few years for these guys to get stronger and in sync with the speed of the game. Jones should do well this year.

I hope he shows more this year. Honestly, unless he got quicker and has developed A PASS RUSH MOVE, I think he is destined to be a 1st round disappointment. Looking at his college tape, he reminded me more of Bruce Davis, but with less quickness and more effort.

If he at least develops a pass rush move, then we can hope he develops a counter move before his 1st contract with the Steelers runs out. Its rare in the NFL that a pass rusher can get by with just one move.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Just the other day Porter was saying how these 1-trick pony pass rushers better have a damn good trick up their sleeve.

. .
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 4:23 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

I hope he shows more this year.  Honestly, unless he got quicker and has developed A PASS RUSH MOVE, I think he is destined to be a 1st round disappointment.  Looking at his college tape, he reminded me more of Bruce Davis, but with less quickness and more effort.  

If he at least develops a pass rush move, then we can hope he develops a counter move before his 1st contract with the Steelers runs out.  Its rare in the NFL that a pass rusher can get by with just one move.

Bruce Davis was a DE the Steelers drafted in the 3rd round and tried to convert. Jones played OLB in a 3-4 defense. I don't see the comparison . The only reason I think people believe Jones is slow is because of his 40 time at his pro day (4.9). He tweaked his hammy on the first run and didn't look much better on the second run. But watching him at Georgia, he was plenty fast. The guy had 44 tackles for losses and 28 sacks in his 2 years as a starter, you can't claim those stats to just "hustle" alone.

When it comes to Jones being slow, I've asked if anyone knew what Harrison runs. Did you know his 40 time coming out of Kent State was 4.85? And I bet it's slower than that now. Here's what Ozzy Newsome had to say about Harrison when he was coming out (regarded as a great judge of talent, even if he's with a sh!tty organization ... sorry John):

Quote :
Number one, he came out of Kent State. Number two, the measurables were lacking. When you come from a small school, one of the things that can attract you to someone is good measurables. But some measurables were missing.

Harrison was a flop for a few years. Timmons was considered a flop for his first 2 years.

As a rookie, Jones definitely looked lost. That's to be expected from a guy who in college was asked to just blow up the backfield with almost no responsibility in pass defense. But in this defense, Jones has to line up and analyze the offensive formation, personnel, down, distance, game clock, etc to determine what his responsibilities are on that play ... because it's not just "blow up the backfield".

He looked good in the 2 1/2 games he played last year, before getting injured. And although he was predominately an outside rusher in college (his one trick), on the play he was injured against Carolina, he made a very good inside move to beat the tackle and put a hit on Cam Newton.

Anyways, just watch after I back this guy, he'll turn out to be a piece of sh!t   Embarassed
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Kirk, I'm gonna point out a couple things with regards to your statements here and respectfully disagree with you.

-Jarvis Jones had 28 sacks his last 2 years in college. Bruce Davis has 24.5 sacks his last 2 seasons in college. Its a close comparison.

- Bruce Davis had no real great outside rush, nor inside counter, nor bull rush. A lot of his sacks he got to the QB on hustle, closing speed and the QB holding onto the ball too long. Jarvis Jones doesnt have any great outside move, hand use, nor an inside counter. All he has is a bull rush and hustle when I watch his Georgia tape.

-Bruce Davis was undersized, but had good straight line speed, high motor and elite quickness, but was noted to get stopped when OT's got hands on him. One scout noted that Jarvis Jones shows quickness and motor, but not the speed to get to the QB. Said something like "will likely get close to the QB, but not get home a lot"

-You say that Jones beat a good LT vs Carolina with a good inside move to sack Cam Newton. I would ask that you look up that play on youtube and evaluate it. I think the LT was deemed to be statistically the worst LT in the NFL last year and Jones countered inside, put his head down and while out of control knocked the ball out of Newtons hand with the back of his helmet. Great effort and hustle, but no technique......that play is a microcosm of JJ's skill set IMO.

Honestly, I hope he turns out to be a guy that gets 10 sacks a year and plays the run solid, but I really think he will end up being an ex Steeler in 2 seasons.

kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

I hope he shows more this year.  Honestly, unless he got quicker and has developed A PASS RUSH MOVE, I think he is destined to be a 1st round disappointment.  Looking at his college tape, he reminded me more of Bruce Davis, but with less quickness and more effort.  

If he at least develops a pass rush move, then we can hope he develops a counter move before his 1st contract with the Steelers runs out.  Its rare in the NFL that a pass rusher can get by with just one move.

Bruce Davis was a DE the Steelers drafted in the 3rd round and tried to convert. Jones played OLB in a 3-4 defense. I don't see the comparison . The only reason I think people believe Jones is slow is because of his 40 time at his pro day (4.9). He tweaked his hammy on the first run and didn't look much better on the second run. But watching him at Georgia, he was plenty fast. The guy had 44 tackles for losses and 28 sacks in his 2 years as a starter, you can't claim those stats to just "hustle" alone.

When it comes to Jones being slow, I've asked if anyone knew what Harrison runs. Did you know his 40 time coming out of Kent State was 4.85? And I bet it's slower than that now. Here's what Ozzy Newsome had to say about Harrison when he was coming out (regarded as a great judge of talent, even if he's with a sh!tty organization ... sorry John):

Quote :
Number one, he came out of Kent State. Number two, the measurables were lacking. When you come from a small school, one of the things that can attract you to someone is good measurables. But some measurables were missing.

Harrison was a flop for a few years. Timmons was considered a flop for his first 2 years.

As a rookie, Jones definitely looked lost. That's to be expected from a guy who in college was asked to just blow up the backfield with almost no responsibility in pass defense. But in this defense, Jones has to line up and analyze the offensive formation, personnel, down, distance, game clock, etc to determine what his responsibilities are on that play ... because it's not just "blow up the backfield".

He looked good in the 2 1/2 games he played last year, before getting injured. And although he was predominately an outside rusher in college (his one trick), on the play he was injured against Carolina, he made a very good inside move to beat the tackle and put a hit on Cam Newton.

Anyways, just watch after I back this guy, he'll turn out to be a piece of sh!t   Embarassed
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Just the other day Porter was saying how these 1-trick pony pass rushers better have a damn good trick up their sleeve.

I havent even seen the 1 trick yet. No speed rush around the corner. No spin move. No long arm swat and rip. No club move. No push-pull move. No simple hand fight dip and rip around the edge. The only thing I have seen is a 245LB guy try and bull rush the OT.

If you dont even have a strong move, then its tough to have a counter move.

OT's feared Dwight Freeney's outside speed, so his counter move (spin)worked. OT's feared Harrison's ability to swat and rip around the edge on them, so when they leaned out there, he countered with a cross face rip inside, or bull rush. Cam Wake has speed to the outside, a bull rush and a fake bull rush that he does a push-pull on.

I havent seen anything from #95 yet, but hope Coach Peezy has been working on that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next