Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs

Go down 
+31
Buddha Bus
kirklandrules
EbonySteel86
SteelerFreak58
WCSteeler
rellimie
schillah
Craziaskowboi
JonM229
ImperialFan
Stryker
jak341
lotas
DesertSteel
OX1947
The_Joker
SoCalFan
tony hipchest
Fire Arians
pczach
vasteeler
Stella Nation
IowaSteeler927
Steel Peon
Atlanta Dan
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
SteelersCanada
Hawaii 5-0
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 10:27 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
now all we gotta do is re-sign gay and mclendon and the defense should be on a par course. any other additions would be upgrades, but those 2 are big ones imo.

Yeah, I think they need McLendon, as McCullers hasn't shown much.  Gay or Boykin IMO should be signed and I think Gay will be easier.  Safety is the question too, as Will Allen should be moved on from, but they don't have anybody else that can play and Robert Golden is also a UFA.  

Sharknado seems like the bust of all busts.  The 2014 3rd round pick the Steelers traded away for him could have landed them any of these players... Donte Moncrief, John Brown, Crockett Gilmore, Richard Rodgers, Philip Gaines, Devonta Freeman, Justin Ellis.  Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 2913999526

Yeah I was hoping McCullers would pan out this year. He's got the physical gifts but he always seems like he's playing with his eyes closed. Dude's got no field awareness at all. I remember seeing a lot of plays where he totally blew up the guy in front of him but ran right past the ballcarrier. Like Sharko, his problems are above the neck
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 5:54 pm

2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agents: Cornerbacks

By Jeff.Hartman on Jan 25, 2016

We begin our breakdown of the Pittsburgh Steelers free agents by position with the infamous cornerbacks who might seek employment elsewhere in 2016.

Throughout the next few weeks, BTSC will be breaking down the 2016 free agents on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster by position. We will look at every position and the players who could be looking for new scenery next season, and what better place to start than the highly debated cornerback position.

Steelers Cornerback Free Agents:

Antwon Blake - UFA - $1,542,000 (Current Salary)
William Gay - UFA - $1,500,000
Brandon Boykin - UFA - $626,367
Ross Cockrell - ERFA - Signed a one-year deal with the Steelers

The Steelers might see the biggest turnover next season in their secondary, and a large part of that is the fact 3/4 of their starting cornerbacks could be leaving via free agency. If Blake, Gay and Boykin would all leave before 2016, it would leave Ross Cockrell and Doran Grant as the only cornerbacks on the roster with game experience within the Steelers' system.

Senquez Golson, the team's 2nd round draft pick in 2015, will be in the lineup next season, but to think the Steelers will let all three of these defensive backs jettison for greener pastures is difficult to fathom. So, I think everyone reading this can agree not all three defensive backs will return, but which ones will stay and go?

The Steelers would be foolish to let William Gay even entertain the thought of leaving. Not only has he left before only to return to the team who drafted him, but he has found a home within the Steelers' defensive system. Gay was more than just the best cornerback on the team this past season, he was a defensive leader. Gay played in 16 games this year, had two interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown, and was a part of 46 tackles.

If Gay is priority No. 1, then who else stays and goes?

Unfortunately, the way the Steelers handled Brandon Boykin in 2015 likely means he has already left town with no thought of even returning. The Steelers would have to shell out a lot of money to bring Boykin back, and his play down the stretch could have put his price tag out of the Steelers' prince range.

What about Antwon Blake? Blake was about as bad, and inconsistent, as any cornerback in the NFL. He was repeatedly targeted by opposing quarterbacks and abused regularly. In fact, Pro Football Focus had him ranked as the second worst CB in the NFL. All of this will make him a very unappealing option for teams looking to upgrade at the cornerback position. Mike Tomlin like Blake and his style of play, and Blake has proven to be a valuable asset on special teams. Don't be shocked if Blake is back in black and gold next season.

Prediction: If I were to predict who would stay and leave from this group, I would say Gay re-signs with the team, Boykin leaves in free agency and Blake is brought back as experienced depth and special teams. It won't be popular, but it could be effective if Blake isn't relied upon as an every day starter. The team will still have to address this position either in free agency or the draft.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/1/25/10822516/2016-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agents-cornerbacks
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 4:16 pm

The Least Valuable Player of Every NFL Team in 2015

Posted on January 28, 2016 by Will Laws

Pittsburgh Steelers: Antwon Blake
PFF grade (position rank): -28.1 (117th)
2015 salary cap hit: $1.5 million

It would not be a stretch to say Blake was the worst cornerback in the league this season. He allowed the most receptions (76) and yards (1,074) of any corner, missed the most tackles (28) by 12 over the next closest player, and tied for the second-most touchdowns allowed (eight).

Offensive coordinators are quick to sniff out weakness in opposing defenses in the NFL, and they quickly learned to pick on Blake this season. He was thrown at 110 times, the third-highest total in the NFL.

Pittsburgh's defense improved as the year went on, and Blake was actually decent in the Steelers' two playoff clashes. However, he still stood out as the weak link of a once-proud defensive unit. It'd be a shock if they brought back the former undrafted free agent in 2016.

http://football-players.pointafter.com/stories/10227/least-valuable-worst-players-nfl-2015?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=ao.cm.ob.dt.10227#23-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Antwon-Blake
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Will he be getting a trophy a medal or some bonus money I wonder? LVP LVP LVP LVP!!!!!!!!!

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 9:52 pm

Blake allowed more receptions than any other CB in the NFL? He allowed more yards than any CB in the NFL? For those of you that don't think there is a degree of politics in football and some coaches like to "play their guy"....this shows otherwise.

If the Steelers Defensive backfield was purely performance based, then Blake should have been sat earlier and more often in the season.

William Gay made less last season in salary than Blake. That is a crime.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 7:18 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Blake allowed more receptions than any other CB in the NFL?  He allowed more yards than any CB in the NFL? For those of you that don't think there is a degree of politics in football and some coaches like to "play their guy"....this shows otherwise.

If the Steelers Defensive backfield was purely performance based, then Blake should have been sat earlier and more often in the season.  

William Gay made less last season in salary than Blake.  That is a crime.    

Those of us that really watch football and know what we're looking at could see all of that without having the stats put up in front of our faces. Our eyes told us everything we needed to know about the level of his play.

I wonder where the Blake defenders are after seeing that post by 5-0 with Blake's defensive stats for the year? I'd like to hear them dance around that little nugget and make excuses.

Oh, that's right, Blake is a scapegoat. We need to get rid of Cockrell. He's the real problem. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 294855916

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 am

pczach wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Blake allowed more receptions than any other CB in the NFL?  He allowed more yards than any CB in the NFL? For those of you that don't think there is a degree of politics in football and some coaches like to "play their guy"....this shows otherwise.

William Gay made less last season in salary than Blake.  That is a crime.    

Those of us that really watch football and know what we're looking at could see all of that without having the stats put up in front of our faces. Our eyes told us everything we needed to know about the level of his play.

I wonder where the Blake defenders are after seeing that post by 5-0 with Blake's defensive stats for the year? I'd like to hear them dance around that little nugget and make excuses.

Oh, that's right, Blake is a scapegoat. We need to get rid of Cockrell. He's the real problem. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 294855916

Agreed, I just didn't understand why he was constantly paraded out as a starter week in and week out. I just assumed Boykin punched an old lady in the face or stole candy from a baby. Near the end of the regular season, I heard an interview with Carnell Lake (can't remember which station). He said they were staying with Blake because of his potential and strong work ethic. He went on to say something to the effect that they had a young guy who they saw promise in and they took the lumps of his learning over the season and they weren't going to back away from that plan.

But, I don't really buy into that. They had much more potential in Cortez Allen and they ran out of patience with him far fast than they did with Blake (can't say they ever ran out of patience with Blake). Of course I've heard interviews on Steelers Nation Radio claiming Allen's knee is a mess and people were surprised he was able to play what little he played on it. But he has not had surgery on that knee that put him on IR after playing in just 1 game in 2015.

Just a few things that make you say "hmmmm, WTF?".
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 1:19 pm

kirklandrules wrote:

Agreed, I just didn't understand why he was constantly paraded out as a starter week in and week out. I just assumed Boykin punched an old lady in the face or stole candy from a baby. Near the end of the regular season, I heard an interview with Carnell Lake (can't remember which station). He said they were staying with Blake because of his potential and strong work ethic. He went on to say something to the effect that they had a young guy who they saw promise in and they took the lumps of his learning over the season and they weren't going to back away from that plan.

But, I don't really buy into that. They had much more potential in Cortez Allen and they ran out of patience with him far fast than they did with Blake (can't say they ever ran out of patience with Blake). Of course I've heard interviews on Steelers Nation Radio claiming Allen's knee is a mess and people were surprised he was able to play what little he played on it. But he has not had surgery on that knee that put him on IR after playing in just 1 game in 2015.

Just a few things that make you say "hmmmm, WTF?".

Somebody pounded the table to pick up Blake off waivers from the Jags. Somebody stood up for him last year when McCain left and said they saw promise in him. That person or persons in the organization are who was putting Blake out there each week with the thought that "this week" is when he will show up and have a great game.

Personally, I think its Carnell Lake that advocates for Blake. I think Tomlin gives him a lot of leeway, but 2 times I can recall seeing in the season Tomlin going over to Lake after Blake got beat and those are the times he sat him down and went with Gay, Cockrell, Boykin.

Blake is Lake's guy and I think Tomlin wants to see him succeed. That kind of latitude was never given to guys like Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen, so its inconsistent for sure. That is what happens. Its why Carey Davis was signed and John Kuhn was released, same with Kraig Urbik was sent packing and Kugler brought Jonathon Scott with him.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 1:07 am

NFL Rumors:

Antwon Blake will visit the Lions shortly. - Mike Reiss, ESPN

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#3d4QTg0rdYyuGl3v.99
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 2:57 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
NFL Rumors:

Yessss!!! Visittttt!!
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
NFL Rumors:

Yessss!!! Visittttt!!

Come on Lions! Sign him now!
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 10:21 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
NFL Rumors:

I can honestly say as a Steeler fan for over 35 years, I have never been more hopeful to see a Steeler sign with another team. Get it done Lions!!
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
NFL Rumors:

I can honestly say as a Steeler fan for over 35 years, I have never been more hopeful to see a Steeler sign with another team.  Get it done Lions!!

It's really happening!

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 Gonzaga

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:00 am

pczach wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
NFL Rumors:

I can honestly say as a Steeler fan for over 35 years, I have never been more hopeful to see a Steeler sign with another team.  Get it done Lions!!

It's really happening!

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 Gonzaga

I feel so much better this morning.

Gay, Cockrell, Golson and either a free agent (other than Blake) or a top draft pick along with Grant are better than trotting #41 out their every week to start.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:48 am

Alex Kozora Retweeted
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot

To recap, Antwon Blake stands to earn a max of $2.25 million in 2016 while Brandon Boykin can only make $840,000 in 2016. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7