Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs

Go down 
+31
Buddha Bus
kirklandrules
EbonySteel86
SteelerFreak58
WCSteeler
rellimie
schillah
Craziaskowboi
JonM229
ImperialFan
Stryker
jak341
lotas
DesertSteel
OX1947
The_Joker
SoCalFan
tony hipchest
Fire Arians
pczach
vasteeler
Stella Nation
IowaSteeler927
Steel Peon
Atlanta Dan
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
SteelersCanada
Hawaii 5-0
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
vasteeler

vasteeler

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
by Dale Lolley

@ Oakland seemingly kept leaving its corners on an island against Brown. The Raiders did double him when he went deep but seemed content to let him work underneath.

That wasn’t a good move.

As much as people like to complain about the Steelers’ coaching staff, the other teams have coaches, too.

@ The Steelers’ secondary isn’t the greatest in terms of coverage to be sure. But they are showing off a physical presence that is making teams take notice.

As much as you might not appreciate Mike Mitchell’s theatrics, he is playing well and creating havoc.

The same goes for much-maligned Antwon Blake.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151108/BLOGS08/151109496

eh, can't be Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 1401235891

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Pro Football Focus grades - OAK-PIT

The Steelers’ defense did not play well for the most part yesterday. CB Antwon Blake (-6.5) and ILB Lawrence Timmons (-5.0) were the only players to grade negatively in coverage, and they were negative by a lot. Blake was targeted a team-high 15 times, and allowed nine receptions for 107 yards and a touchdown. But he was beaten on four of those incompletions, and was only saved by some off-target throws and a dropped pass. He also missed five tackles on the day

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/09/oak-pit-grades-antonio-brown-deangelo-williams-shine-in-win/
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 1:07 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

The Steelers’ defense did not play well for the most part yesterday. CB Antwon Blake (-6.5) and ILB Lawrence Timmons (-5.0) were the only players to grade negatively in coverage, and they were negative by a lot. Blake was targeted a team-high 15 times, and allowed nine receptions for 107 yards and a touchdown. But he was beaten on four of those incompletions, and was only saved by some off-target throws and a dropped pass. He also missed five tackles on the day

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/09/oak-pit-grades-antonio-brown-deangelo-williams-shine-in-win/

Pretty clear what needs to be done

Bench Timmons
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Pretty clear what needs to be done

Bench Timmons

I'd give Timmons one more chance. He's done a couple things in the past couple seasons to make us think he might bounce back. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 1797695198 To be fair, he only graded -5 and Coach Butler left him to cover WR's, so he could blitz his safety.

Blake graded a bit worse than Timmons and might help him leapfrog over the other 5 CB in the NFL that were ranked worse than him. I don't think Blake will be satisfied until he ranks as the 172nd DB in the league. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 1372836603

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm

by Jim Wexell

* I really like the way Antwon Blake comes up and hits, but I'm still amazed at how much ground he loses to wide receivers making sharp cuts. If Amari Cooper wasn't playing at 10 in the morning, he might've had an A.B. kind of day himself.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1609326-just-my-opinion
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Unheralded Steelers secondary spearheads turnover turnaround

November 22, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If you didn’t think the Steelers pass defense could get worse after last season, you were wrong. The Steelers are on pace to give up 278.4 yards per game, 25 more per game than last season when they finished 27th in the NFL against the pass and set the franchise record for most passing yards against in one season.

But what the Steelers give up in yardage they take back in turnovers, something coach Mike Tomlin desperately wanted after three seasons of limited turnover production.

The Steelers forced only 20 turnovers in 2012 and ’13 and 21 last season. Through 10 games this season, they’ve forced 18, which ranks fifth in the league.

The defensive backs have been front and center in the turnaround. Of the team’s nine interceptions, all but one has come from the secondary. And of the team’s nine forced fumbles, four have come from defensive backs.

“Before the season, we made a goal for our secondary, improving our turnover ratio and getting more turnovers,” said cornerback Antwon Blake, who has forced a fumble and intercepted two passes, one of which he returned for a touchdown.

“We’ve been working hard on that and it’s showing up. Guys are doing a good job of taking advantage of the plays that are coming to us.”

The most intriguing part of the resurgence is the personnel. The Steelers invested two draft picks in cornerbacks in the spring, but neither is playing. Second-round pick Senquez Golson is on injured reserve with a shoulder injury and fourth-round pick Doran Grant only recently was promoted from the practice squad to the active roster. Projected starter Cortez Allen also is on injured reserve with a knee injury.

The Steelers are doing it with Blake, a former undrafted free agent who was the fourth cornerback last season; Ross Cockrell, who was picked up off waivers in September after Buffalo cut him; and veterans William Gay, Mike Mitchell and Will Allen.

Only Gay and Mitchell were starters entering training camp.

“I didn’t know what we had with some of the guys,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler admitted last week. “There have been some surprises, some not. Our safeties are playing good. Our two corners are doing a good job for us. Ross is doing a good job for us.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/22/Unheralded-Steelers-secondary-spearheads-turnover-turnaround/stories/201511220077
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Unheralded Steelers secondary spearheads turnover turnaround

November 22, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If you didn’t think the Steelers pass defense could get worse after last season, you were wrong. The Steelers are on pace to give up 278.4 yards per game, 25 more per game than last season when they finished 27th in the NFL against the pass and set the franchise record for most passing yards against in one season.

But what the Steelers give up in yardage they take back in turnovers, something coach Mike Tomlin desperately wanted after three seasons of limited turnover production.

The Steelers forced only 20 turnovers in 2012 and ’13 and 21 last season. Through 10 games this season, they’ve forced 18, which ranks fifth in the league.

The defensive backs have been front and center in the turnaround. Of the team’s nine interceptions, all but one has come from the secondary. And of the team’s nine forced fumbles, four have come from defensive backs.

“Before the season, we made a goal for our secondary, improving our turnover ratio and getting more turnovers,” said cornerback Antwon Blake, who has forced a fumble and intercepted two passes, one of which he returned for a touchdown.

“We’ve been working hard on that and it’s showing up. Guys are doing a good job of taking advantage of the plays that are coming to us.”

The most intriguing part of the resurgence is the personnel. The Steelers invested two draft picks in cornerbacks in the spring, but neither is playing. Second-round pick Senquez Golson is on injured reserve with a shoulder injury and fourth-round pick Doran Grant only recently was promoted from the practice squad to the active roster. Projected starter Cortez Allen also is on injured reserve with a knee injury.

The Steelers are doing it with Blake, a former undrafted free agent who was the fourth cornerback last season; Ross Cockrell, who was picked up off waivers in September after Buffalo cut him; and veterans William Gay, Mike Mitchell and Will Allen.

Only Gay and Mitchell were starters entering training camp.

“I didn’t know what we had with some of the guys,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler admitted last week. “There have been some surprises, some not. Our safeties are playing good. Our two corners are doing a good job for us. Ross is doing a good job for us.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/22/Unheralded-Steelers-secondary-spearheads-turnover-turnaround/stories/201511220077

As long as they generate turnovers, it will hide a lot of the flaws and deficiencies in coverage. If the turnovers stop, bad things could happen. They still need to improve the coverage skills and the consistency of the secondary, particularly the corners.

Getting Golson back and Grant making the roster this year will guarantee new, young blood coming into the secondary. I think they add some athleticism to the cornerback position. They do need to find a young safety. Will Allen can't play forever, and the future of the position must be addressed now that it is clear Shamarko Thomas isn't it.

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Anyone see the day Darrelle Revis "Island" had against the DeAndre Hopkins?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14199097/deandre-hopkins-houston-texans-gets-better-matchup-new-york-jets-cornerback-darrelle-revis

Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer wrote:
Deandre Hopkins gets better of matchup with Jets' Darrelle Revis

HOUSTON -- It mattered for Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to best New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

"The test, the media blowing up Revis Island -- I had to come out and answer," Hopkins said.

He did in a big way. Hopkins dominated Revis one-on-one in their first battle during the Texans' 24-17 win over the Jets.

PFF has apparently given Revis a -3.0 on the day, and while I'm not saying Blake would've done any better against a WR on a hot streak like Hopkins was, any CB is going to give up some catches here and there, but should really just try and limit the damage. I personally can't blame any losses on Blake so far, but Revis is going to have to wear this one around his neck for at least a week.

You guys also have to give up on this "Ranked #167 of 172" bullshit, ok? How in the fuck can it be a valid stat to have a starting CB ranked lower than assholes who are sitting on the bench? There's 32 teams in the NFL, so at worst he could be ranked #64, but NOWHERE near #167, ffs.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Hopkins is a beast though. I'm not even sure if revis in his prime would have been able to shut him down.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 pm

Boykin would have driven Hopkins to the bench
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm not overly impressed with the Jets hundred and fifty million dollar secondary this year

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:22 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
by Jim Wexell

* I really like the way Antwon Blake comes up and hits, but I'm still amazed at how much ground he loses to wide receivers making sharp cuts. If Amari Cooper wasn't playing at 10 in the morning, he might've had an A.B. kind of day himself.

He saved his best for Seattle! I hope makes it to 172.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:28 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
by Jim Wexell

He saved his best for Seattle!  I hope makes it to 172.

today's performance should have helped him towards that goal... Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 2913999526 Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 5:47 am

The previous games he made at least his tackles, now he's starting to miss them too Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
by Jim Wexell

today's performance should have helped him towards that goal... Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 2913999526 Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 2913999526

Yep, once again rated our worst defender at -5.2

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-markus-wheaton-marcus-gilbert-top-pro-football-focus-grades/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
by Jim Wexell

Yep, once again rated our worst defender at -5.2

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-markus-wheaton-marcus-gilbert-top-pro-football-focus-grades/

yeah, there's no need to see what Boykin can do...

DBs were 4 of the 5 worst ranked Steelers defenders by PFF against Seattle:

Antwon Blake -5.3
Stephon Tuitt -4.8
Ross Cockrell -3.5
Mike Mitchell -3.0
Will Allen -2.6

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Is he ranked 172 yet? I say they leave him in until somebody ranks him as the absolute worst CB in the Nfl. The standard is the standard!
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 2:46 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Is he ranked 172 yet?  I say they leave him in until somebody ranks him as the absolute worst CB in the  Nfl.  The standard is the standard!

hey if he's gonna be terrible might as well go all in Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Worst players at Every Position: Week 12

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/30/pro-worst-players-at-every-position-from-week-12/

No surprise who topped the list at CB, this is the 3rd time this season he topped the list at being the worst
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Missed Tackle Counter (Season)

Antwon Blake: 28
Lawrence Timmons: 18
Will Allen: 14
William Gay: 12
Ryan Shazier: 10
Jarvis Jones: 10
Ross Cockrell: 8
Mike Mitchell: 7
Bud Dupree: 6
James Harrison: 6
Arthur Moats: 6
Sean Spence: 4
Robert Golden: 4
Stephon Tuitt: 4
Cam Heyward: 3
Cam Thomas: 3
Steve McLendon: 3
Cortez Allen: 2
Vince Williams: 1
Brandon Boykin: 0
Shamarko Thomas: 0
Terence Garvin: 0
Daniel McCullers: 0
Anthony Chickillo: 0
LT Walton: 0

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/week-12-steelers-missed-tackles-breakdown/
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Antwon Blake has missed 28 times the tackles Boykin has.

Joking aside, I don't know if there's a worse cornerback in football than Blake. Whether or not he's hurt is irrelevant. If his injury is hindering his ability that much (it isn't. his injury doesn't explain his consistent poor leverage, inability to run with the inside hip of the receiver or make basic reads inside of zone coverage) then he needs to be rehabilitating that injury and hoping he can sign with another team next season.

The only other coach I've advocated for to be fired was LeBeau. Maybe it's time to get the "Fire Lake!!!!" train going.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:46 pm

Why does Mr. Colbert seem to think that you can win in a passing league without a secondary.....oops......that's another thread.

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Boykin career PFF grades

2012 4.0
2013 13.0
2014 7.5

Fewest snaps he saw in any one year was 524

Blake

2012 -0.5 (only 4 snaps in Jacksonville)
2013 -0.9 (5 snaps)
2014 1.5 (275 snaps)
2015 -23.9 (too many)
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 6:49 pm

I don't care if Boykin learned how to tackle from Deion Sanders, probably still better than blake
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 7:35 pm

I can only imagine how many other players in the locker room are talking? Blake needs to simply go away. Hopefully something in the coaching staff's stubborn heads gives and they finally give Boykin a solid shot! Would be SWEET if he could prove to be a somewhat shutdown (so the dude can't fuckin tackle) corner and we ride with him through the playoffs!

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next