Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBench Antwon Blake - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Bench Antwon Blake

Go down 
+23
EbonySteel86
solardave
Lokki
fer69
Chaotic Zen
lotas
PhantomJB93
steelcrazy
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
effyou515
SteelersCanada
Steel Peon
Hawaii 5-0
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
pczach
WCSteeler
Atlanta Dan
WVABE
IowaSteeler927
ImperialFan
jak341
Fire Arians
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
steelcrazy

steelcrazy

Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:10 pm

I can be coached..that doesn't mean I can play in the NFL..Doesn't matter who the coach is if a guy cant play...obviuosly

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:14 pm

At the start of the game, I told the Hawks fan in front of me how bad Blake is and I was concerned he was going to let Baldwin,Kearse or Lockett have a great game.

He turned to me several times during the game and chuckled..."you weren't kidding". Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1505004552
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:33 pm

I don't think the "generate pressure and the secondary will be better" excuse can be used anymore. It's true in general but only to an extent.  This front 7 has been pretty damn good all year (even Jarvis Jones) at generating pressure, especially today, but this secondary is just too awful.  Mike Mitchell is the only one worth his shit, and who would have thought we'd be saying even that a year ago.

No excuse whatsoever to go anywhere but DB in the first round next year.  Can't keep pussyfooting around it, every other position group on the field is pretty solid now except DB, but the DB's are so bad they single-handedly keep teams in games at times.
Back to top Go down
lotas

lotas

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 9:03 am

Everyone should be allowed to have a bad game here and there, but not a bad season. Blake is an embarrassment at this point.

Cockrell had a lot of completions thrown at him too, but at least he's in position to tackle. While he's not a shutdown corner, he can at least float with a receiver like a true corner back.

Blake plays the CB position like he's a safety....that's a problem.

Villanueva could probably cover better than Blake at this point.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 11:58 am

I don't understand how Cortez can have 2 "meh" games to start the season an is immediately put in the dog house, while Blake has been pure trash all season but continues to start.

I don't buy the "injured knee" that put Cortez on IR, seems like a convenient way to bury him. How can the coaching staff continue to play guys like Blake and Cam Thomas when they clearly are terrible? Just because Blake may practice better than Boykin or Grant (doubtful) doesn't mean he is better on game day.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 1:55 pm

by Ray Fittipaldo

It was the third time as many games the Steelers allowed the opposing quarterback to throw for 300 yards or more. Derek Carr threw for 301 yards and four touchdowns with one interception. Johnny Manziel threw for 379 yards with one touchdown and one interception.

That’s 1,025 passing yards, 10 touchdowns and only two interceptions over a three-game span. The Steelers are lucky they won two of those games.

The secondary couldn’t communicate, cover or tackle on Sunday. It was reminiscent of the season opener at New England when the Patriots* had players running free through the secondary all night.

The Steelers have to be asking themselves this morning if Robert Golden and Brandon Boykin would be upgrades over Will Allen and Antwon Blake.

Golden was solid when he had to step in and start three games for Allen earlier this season when Allen had an ankle injury. There should not be any hesitation to go back to him if the coaches determine Allen can’t hack it as a starter any longer. Allen’s tackling has been suspect all season and he was badly beaten for a touchdown.

Blake is the most-targeted corner in the NFL. He couldn’t keep up with Seattle’s receivers and he couldn’t tackle, which is supposed to be one of his strong suits and reason why he plays ahead of Boykin. Tomlin has been on record saying he likes Blake’s physicality and tackling ability.

But if Blake is hindered by a fractured thumb it might be time to turn to Boykin. The Steelers traded a fifth-round pick for him in July and he’s barely played. Even if Boykin is flawed, in this instance change for the sake of change might not be a bad idea.

to read rest of article:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/11/30/This-one-s-on-Tomlin/stories/201511300002
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

For the record, Cortez was a complete bag of shit for many games before he was benched, but I digress.

Aside from the fact that most LBs and all DBs were playing piss poor across the board, I think there were some blown coverages that forced Blake to abandon his guy and go try and make a tackle across the field, which used to be something he did very well. Even though I think he's being used a scapegoat in this mess, I think him having a fucked up thumb is a good enough reason for him to sit for at least a week. Save his ego (ala Cortez) and say he's sitting out of practice and the next game due to injury, and instead insert Boykin. This will accomplish many things at the same time, including stopping all the whining about Boykin not playing, put Blake on the back burner, and maybe fix our pass protection issues, but unfortunately might shift attention to Cockrell.

Then, if Boykin continues to be good, just leave him in. Many have already said he's an unknown commodity, and I would now also like to find out who we should think he is

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
Even though I think he's being used a scapegoat in this mess ...

I can't express how much this is not the case. Blake is a horrendously flawed defensive back. If his injury is limiting him this much (it isn't, as it doesn't explain most of his flaws) then he needs to be sat. Period.

I like what Blake brings in a physicality sense. I like his aggressiveness. This lends itself best to special teams, not consistently playing soft-zone coverage off receivers and continually allow easy catches for big gains and touchdowns.

His one redeeming quality was his tackling ability. He's lost that with the injury.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
For the record, Cortez was a complete bag of shit for many games before he was benched, but I digress.

Aside from the fact that most LBs and all DBs were playing piss poor across the board, I think there were some blown coverages that forced Blake to abandon his guy and go try and make a tackle across the field, which used to be something he did very well. Even though I think he's being used a scapegoat in this mess, I think him having a fucked up thumb is a good enough reason for him to sit for at least a week. Save his ego (ala Cortez) and say he's sitting out of practice and the next game due to injury, and instead insert Boykin. This will accomplish many things at the same time, including stopping all the whining about Boykin not playing, put Blake on the back burner, and maybe fix our pass protection issues, but unfortunately might shift attention to Cockrell.

Then, if Boykin continues to be good, just leave him in. Many have already said he's an unknown commodity, and I would now also like to find out who we should think he is

Blake's no scapegoat in this mess. He is a main contributor to this mess.

And he's had help creating this mess in the secondary.
Back to top Go down
lotas

lotas

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Chad Scott, Ricardo Colclough, Antwan Blake.

My memory isn't great but it feels like for the last 20 years it's been one shitty DB after another, with some decent guys here and there (Deshea Townsend, Ike Taylor, etc.).

Novel concept: Your d-line will get a lot more sacks when the receivers are covered and aren't open.

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:44 pm

I apologize to everyone that has pointed out Blake's flaws for months with my responses that Blake brings intangible benefits that cannot be measured in the weekly PFF grades and belatedly am putting my position to rest Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1283067935

Blake is clearly a disaster.

Assuming Boykin is not confined to a wheelchair, Blake's continued role as a starter is another inscrutable decision by Tomlin that reflects a pattern of being stubborn that might be Tomlin's greatest flaw as a coach.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:57 pm

I dont think Blake needs to be benched......HE NEEDS TO BE CUT!!!!!!

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm giving Blake a new nickname.. Sprint.. because just like their cell service.. there is no coverage anywhere in the area.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Its time to shut up about Antwon Blake. Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1683801514

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 12:16 am

Steelers CB Antwon Blake has done little to silence the Brandon Boykin commentary in 2015

By Jeff.Hartman  on Nov 30, 2015

The Pittsburgh Steelers secondary is in disarray, and the ongoing discussion surrounding the team is regarding the play of Antwon Blake and the lack of playing time for Brandon Boykin.

Don't let athletes fool you. They read the papers, if they have social media they check their notifications and some members of the Pittsburgh Steelers have shown they read the very website you are reading right now. They know what is being said about them and their play on the field, and in regards to Antwon Blake, you would have to have very thick skin to not hear the constant talk about Brandon Boykin supplanting him at the cornerback position.

The Steelers coaching staff has done their best to quiet the critics. Always talking about how "they like their secondary", "Blake is a competitor" and "he is strong against the run". After the team's Week 12 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, it will be interesting to see how the coaches respond, as Blake has done little on the field to silence the Boykin commentary, which has survived 12 weeks in the 2015 season.

It was simple for Blake. Go on the field, play fundamentally sound football and make sure no on even brings up Boykin as a potential threat to your position. Take away Blake's two interceptions, one returned for a touchdown against the San Diego Chargers and another against the Cincinnati Bengals, Blake has done very little to silence the critics.

To his defense, he is playing with a fractured thumb, which could take away the one part of his game which had been his calling card, his tackling. Nonetheless, after Week 12, Blake was considered the worst cornerback across the NFL, according to ProFootballFocus, a growing trend for the 4th year CB out of UTEP. Against Seattle, Blake allowed 5 completions of 7 passes thrown his way for 115 yards and two touchdowns. He also had a team-high 5 missed tackles on the day.

At this point it is pointless to sit and wonder why Brandon Boykin isn't even getting a shot to play over Blake, but the question which is now brought to the forefront is "can it get any worse?". The Steelers secondary has given up 966 yards through the air in their past three games. Nearly 1,000 yards passing by Derek Carr, Johnny Manziel and Russell Wilson. If such a statistic doesn't scream change, then I don't know what does.

If Boykin is given a shot to play, could it get worse than nearly 1,000 yards in three games? I highly doubt it. The sad truth to this scenario is nothing is likely to change. The Pittsburgh secondary has been giving up yards all season, but have been fortunate to bend, but not break. However, the secondary is breaking, and it was only a matter of time until it caught up to the Steelers.

As the team desperately clings to its AFC Playoff hopes, the time for a change is now. Blake has had more than ample opportunity to prove what he can do on the field, and now it is time to give someone else the chance. Will it be Boykin, or will it be Ross Cockrell? At this point does it really matter? Change is needed, and the time is now. If not, it will be interesting to see what the next three games have in store when Matt Hasselback, Andy Dalton and Peyton Manning / Brock Osweiler face this secondary.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/11/30/9819360/steelers-cb-antwon-blake-has-done-little-to-silence-the-brandon
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 12:56 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Tomlin spinning this in the post game will be interesting

I don't think even Tomlin can make this interesting. It benching should be a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
At the start of the game, I told the Hawks fan in front of me how bad Blake is and I was concerned he was going to let Baldwin,Kearse or Lockett have a great game.  

He turned to me several times during the game and chuckled..."you weren't kidding".  Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1505004552

I can hear your son now when asked by his friends how the game was and his only reply is BLAKE SUCKS!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 1:12 am

Some of you older guys probably remember Chad Scott. Cowher for some unknown reason loved this guy and he was terrible. His nickname was toast. Same thing between Tomlin and Blake. I defended him while he at least would have an INT to redeem himself but he seems to be more concerned with a big hit than wrapping up. Oh yeah,he can't cover either.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:49 am

Lokki wrote:
I'm giving Blake a new nickname.. Sprint.. because just like their cell service.. there is no coverage anywhere in the area.  

Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1647293567 Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1647293567 Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1647293567

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 5:19 am

Just for the record, when Boykin is put in to replace Blake, and there still appears to be opponents catching balls all over the field, over and over (against Cockrell, Mitchell, Golden, Allen, and Gay), how many of you assholes are going to put Boykin under the microscope and skewer him when he allows a catch, or misses a tackle, and then make him the scapegoat for an entire defense's failures? I'm guessing, all of you.

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 5:27 am

Steel Peon wrote:
Just for the record, when Boykin is put in to replace Blake, and there still appears to be opponents catching balls all over the field, over and over (against Cockrell, Mitchell, Golden, Allen, and Gay), how many of you assholes are going to put Boykin under the microscope and skewer him when he allows a catch, or misses a tackle, and then make him the scapegoat for an entire defense's failures? I'm guessing, all of you.

The way I look at it, Blake isn't getting the job done. He's a huge liability to this football team and he basically helped give the game away to the Seahawks last weekend. I'm at the point where even I have to say enough is enough and I'm generally the kind of guy to stand up for the players while others are questioning them. We should see what we have in Brandon Boykin. I believe they traded a 4th Rounder for Boykin, and at this point in the season we need to see if someone can provide a spark. It's abundantly apparent that Blake's injuries are effecting his game, I feel bad for him, and I do think he is better than what we're seeing currently but right now opposing teams know exactly where to throw the ball, and that's to whichever receiver Blake is covering. Russell Wilson absolutely exposed Blake last night, and never let up. Time to make a change.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 6:41 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

He turned to me several times during the game and chuckled..."you weren't kidding".  Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1505004552

Watching Blake play, and the anticipation of what's about to happen when he takes the field is like knowing a natural disaster is going to occur. It's like sitting in the stadium waiting for the horror to begin.

I really don't know what else Blake would have to do to lose his job. Boykin could fall and the ground every play and probably trip receivers and be more effective than Blake has been. I hate to overstate this, but you really can't play any worse than Blake has been playing.

He can't cover anyone........literally......anyone. He can't play man coverage, as he gets beaten repeatedly and easily by everyone that lines up across from him. He loses people in zone coverage like a cornerback that is just learning an exotic coverage scheme he is unfamiliar with and is lost. He literally has no feel for the game, a complete lack of anticipation, and zero proper technique. When you see his complete lack of coverage skills and he can't contribute with physical play and sure tackling, I can't think of a reason for him to be on the field.

I have tried not to be this direct with my criticism of him before, but I can no longer remain silent. I hate calling him out like this, because this isn't his fault. This is Tomlin's fault. Unless Boykin, Grant, etc.. are on double secret probation for undisclosed offenses and are in the doghouse, they need to take Blake's place on the field. If Boykin is so bad that he can't replace Blake, he shouldn't be on an NFL roster. Same for Grant, although I would rather a young CB learn on the job than continue to watch a four year pro torched over and over again. At least you know there will be improvement.

It is time for Mike Tomlin to do something...........anything, to shake up the CB situation and put someone else in the game.

I literally don't understand what he is doing in this case or why. I have no defense for him.

"I have no defense for him" I think I just made a funny without trying.

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:18 am

Steel Peon wrote:

Still clinging to the belief that Blake is being treated as a scapegoat despite what we see from him on the field.      Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 2913999526  

Imagine this....you're the offensive coordinator preparing to play against the Steelers......you spend hours studying tape.....looking for weak spots.......where to attack.....looking for mismatches to exploit........you can identify a few.....but the one you're going to notice the most is named Antwon Blake.     Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 119875844
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:39 am

FrancoLambert wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:

Still clinging to the belief that Blake is being treated as a scapegoat despite what we see from him on the field.      Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 2913999526  

Imagine this....you're the offensive coordinator preparing to play against the Steelers......you spend hours studying tape.....looking for weak spots.......where to attack.....looking for mismatches to exploit........you can identify a few.....but the one you're going to notice the most is named Antwon Blake.     Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 119875844
Exactly! I'm going to his side all day!
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am

Some folks are so mad at Blake they do not just want him benched - they want Ed B. of the P-G to quit talking to him Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 1797695198

Why do you guys continue to use quotes from Anton Blake? This is the most inept so-called football player that I have ever seen in my 80 years.

ED: Last week, some readers were upset that I interviewed Mike Vick. Now you want me to stop talking to Antwon Blake. Maybe I should just ask for a list from the readers of which players I am permitted to interview. If we talked to only those who were playing well, it would be no fun and if that also were the case, there are a few years in which I covered the team that I may not have been able to talk to any player.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/12/01/Ask-Ed-Steelers-Losses-Bring-Them-Out.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bench Antwon Blake
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next