Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBench Antwon Blake - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Bench Antwon Blake

Go down 
+23
EbonySteel86
solardave
Lokki
fer69
Chaotic Zen
lotas
PhantomJB93
steelcrazy
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
effyou515
SteelersCanada
Steel Peon
Hawaii 5-0
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
pczach
WCSteeler
Atlanta Dan
WVABE
IowaSteeler927
ImperialFan
jak341
Fire Arians
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 12:49 pm

So this is why Boykin has not seen the field? confused

This article was published shortly after the trade

Perhaps where he went wrong in terms of his relationship with the Eagles was expressing dissatisfaction with the amount of playing time he was seeing and expressing a desire to play outside, not just in the slot.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/8/2/9084503/what-the-acquisition-of-cb-brandon-boykin-means-for-the-steelers
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
So this is why Boykin has not seen the field? confused

This article was published shortly after the trade

Perhaps where he went wrong in terms of his relationship with the Eagles was expressing dissatisfaction with the amount of playing time he was seeing and expressing a desire to play outside, not just in the slot.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/8/2/9084503/what-the-acquisition-of-cb-brandon-boykin-means-for-the-steelers

If this is the case then move Gay outside & let Boykin play slot. Yeah he doesn't necessarily excel there, but he's 5x better than blake. At least Gay is a solid tackler.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Hey, I think we need a good nickname for Blake. What do you think?;

-"Burnt Toast" Blake
-"Fire Marshall Bill" Blake
-" stop drop and roll"
-"Smokey the Cornerback"

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 5:26 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Hey, I think we need a good nickname for Blake.  What do you think?;

-"Burnt Toast" Blake
-"Fire Marshall Bill" Blake
-" stop drop and roll"
-"Smokey the Cornerback"

Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 1797695198

Here's a few more:

"Five Alarm"

Antwon "Abuse Me" Blake

"Pretty Woman"

"The Human Torched"

"Scorched Earth"

"The Invisible Man"

"Gilligan's Island"

SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

It's clear to me. Take the guy out of the game and give someone else a shot.

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers. Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 1505004552
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
Just for the record, when Boykin is put in to replace Blake, and there still appears to be opponents catching balls all over the field, over and over (against Cockrell, Mitchell, Golden, Allen, and Gay), how many of you assholes are going to put Boykin under the microscope and skewer him when he allows a catch, or misses a tackle, and then make him the scapegoat for an entire defense's failures? I'm guessing, all of you.

lol. What?

"How many of you assholes" .. Settle down, cowboy.

If you think Blake is playing adequately, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, he isn't the only issue with the secondary, but he's definitely and without question one of the issues in it. Are there All-Pro's playing at every other position in the defensive backfield? No. Does that mean that Blake is the only problem? Absolutely not, but he's a major contributor to opposing offenses maneuvering down the field with ease.

It's not about scapegoating an individual player. The entire secondary is a dumpster fire and from what I've seen, no one is debating this. Blake is contributing to this secondary being as awful as it is and needs to be replaced.

His technique, inability to get leverage and now injury issues need to place him on the bench. Blake is the most targeted cornerback in the NFL and allows receptions, touchdowns and big plays at an alarming rate. Unless you want to begin debating the foundation of metrics and statistics as "scapegoating", this particular argument holds zero weight.

He's not the only problem, but he's one of them.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:
Just for the record, when Boykin is put in to replace Blake, and there still appears to be opponents catching balls all over the field, over and over (against Cockrell, Mitchell, Golden, Allen, and Gay), how many of you assholes are going to put Boykin under the microscope and skewer him when he allows a catch, or misses a tackle, and then make him the scapegoat for an entire defense's failures? I'm guessing, all of you.

lol. What?

If you think Blake is playing adequately, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, he isn't the only issue with the secondary, but he's definitely and without question one of the issues in it. Are there All-Pro's playing at every other position in the defensive backfield? No. Does that mean that Blake is the only problem? Absolutely not, but he's a major contributor to opposing offenses maneuvering down the field with ease.

It's not about scapegoating an individual player. The entire secondary is a dumpster fire and from what I've seen, no one is debating this. Blake is contributing to this secondary being as awful as it is and needs to be replaced.

His technique, inability to get leverage and now injury issues need to place him on the bench. Blake is the most targeted cornerback in the NFL and allows receptions, touchdowns and big plays at an alarming rate. Unless you want to begin debating the foundation of metrics and statistics as "scapegoating", this particular argument holds zero weight.

Nothing like having intelligent conversation with someone that leads with "How many of you assholes".

That's a real icebreaker....

Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 294855916

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:04 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:

lol. What?

And he's certainly the biggest problem.

But to address SteelPeon's post.

Let's say we do replace Blake with Boykin and Boykin gets burned for a bunch of TDs in the coming weeks.

That doesn't mean we were wrong about Blake. We might have traded off suck for suck but at least the problem was troubleshooted. We already know the nature of how our secondary sucks with an 11 game sample size. I think it's now prudent to explore other ways it could possibly suck for the next 5.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:21 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
We might have traded off suck for suck but at least the problem was troubleshooted.... I think it's now prudent to explore other ways it could possibly suck.

Said the Fuhrer as he changed generals on the eastern front. Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 1401235891
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 9:22 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:

lol. What?

And he's certainly the biggest problem.

But to address SteelPeon's post.

Let's say we do replace Blake with Boykin and Boykin gets burned for a bunch of TDs in the coming weeks.

That doesn't mean we were wrong about Blake. We might have traded off suck for suck but at least the problem was troubleshooted. We already know the nature of how our secondary sucks with an 11 game sample size. I think it's now prudent to explore other ways it could possibly suck for the next 5.

All of the above, pointing out Blake's many deficiencies, makes perfect sense......to us assholes.  Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 2672159185
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 pm

pczach wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:
Steel Peon wrote:

lol. What?

Nothing like having intelligent conversation with someone that leads with "How many of you assholes".

That's a real icebreaker....

Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 294855916

Yeah, some people know how to put the "ass" in "classless".

I think I am preferring "Five Alarm Blake" as the best nickname.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 pm

I like assholes

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 am

Steel Peon wrote:

I'm going to guess the assholes comment was made jokingly, as it can be hard to determine someone's tone over the internet. Please review the Code of Conduct here:

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t982-steelers-xtreme-code-of-conduct-please-read

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 12.2.15

TX_Steeler: Are Blake's struggles more related to his thumb injury, or is he just an average to below-average player (very below according to Pro Football Focus)?

Gerry Dulac: I don;'t think the thumb has anything to do with it. And, if it does, then he shouldn't be playing.

Me: It sounds like they don't want to play Boykin because he's an "inside" CB. What difference does that make? Can he be worse than Blake?

Gerry Dulac: I think that's what it has come to.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/02/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-12-2-15/stories/201512020179
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 12:06 am

Watch this Colbert guy draft another 4-5th round DB in '16
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 4:17 am

BKAnthem wrote:
Watch this Colbert guy draft another 4-5th round DB in '16

I sincerely hope not. The Steelers sort of pride themselves on drafting but it would be nice if we could obtain a proven veteran that we know could come in an make an immediate impact. I don't think it was financially feasible but I really wanted to see a guy like Aqib Talib in the black and gold, or a Darrelle Revis but they each command a lot of money respectively and the Steelers are a team always seemingly close to the salary cap.

I think it's high time we used one of our first round picks on a corner. A decent sized corner, that can jam receivers at the line and disrupt their routes. As it sits we're getting torched because we have a short guy in Blake that plays off coverage, is injured, and gives up big plays on the regular.

Couple of prospects I really like:

1. Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State University. 6-1, 204lbs. A little bit of a work in progress I think, but has the size and ability to be successful in the NFL. At this point, I wonder if anyone could be worse than how Antwon Blake is playing.

2. Desmond King, CB, University of Iowa. 5-11 200lbs.  A little shorter at 5-11, but I've watched this guy play for his entire career at Iowa. He's not afraid of contact. He's a very sound tackler in the running game, and is known to make some big hits here and there. He's not afraid to block, and plays the position selflessly. He is also a very fluid cornerback, with good hips, and good speed at his position that enables him to make up for occasional missteps.  I would compare him to Micah Hyde, another Hawkeye currently starting for the Green Bay Packers, but I believe King has a higher ceiling. I think he's the best cornerback prospect to come out of Iowa in a long time.

Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 10:50 am

Ruh-roh

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 10:54 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Ruh-roh

Hoping that's just smoke and mirrors & not wanting to tip your hat to the opponent. Better to keep em guessing
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Would not surprise me at all if they started Blake again Sunday. He's got one more spot to go until he is the worst CB in the NFL according to PFF. I think they owe him the opportunity to close the deal on that.
Back to top Go down
lotas

lotas

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 1:46 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Would not surprise me at all if they started Blake again Sunday.  He's got one more spot to go until he is the worst CB in the NFL according to PFF.  I think they owe him the opportunity to close the deal on that.
Tomlin did say that Blake and Cockrell would "have an opportunity to rebound", so I wouldn't be surprised if Blake starts either. Maybe we will see some sort of mixture of Blake, Cockrell, Gay, and Boykin.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 10:10 am

lotas wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Would not surprise me at all if they started Blake again Sunday.  He's got one more spot to go until he is the worst CB in the NFL according to PFF.  I think they owe him the opportunity to close the deal on that.
Tomlin did say that Blake and Cockrell would "have an opportunity to rebound", so I wouldn't be surprised if Blake starts either. Maybe we will see some sort of mixture of Blake, Cockrell, Gay, and Boykin.  

I'm 90% sure that nothing will change in the CB alignment.

Get the bucket brigade ready, there is gonna be another five alarm Blake on Sunday at Heinz.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 11:22 am

Seriously they better not have Blake out there again. TY Hilton is going to beat his ass like a drum up and down the field. Blake had Doug Baldwin looking like Antonio Brown/Julio Jones last Sunday.

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 11:36 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Seriously they better not have Blake out there again. TY Hilton is going to beat his ass like a drum up and down the field. Blake had Doug Baldwin looking like Antonio Brown/Julio Jones last Sunday.

I think somebody would rather that happen than admit that the guy they traded for is better than what they currently have.

Its absolutely mind boggling to me the amount of rope Blake gets. Its not like when fans hated on Colon, because he had 10 penalties in 16 games and they thought he went offside every game. The guy was a good Olineman, with unjustified hate and is still starting in the NFL.

Blake has poor technique, frequently is allowing receptions, frequently missing tackles and is the most targeted CB in the NFL. Film shows it, stats show it, fans see it several times a week. The guy should have been on the bench 5 games ago, but I'm pretty sure they start him sunday night again.

Don't stop until Blake is the absolute worst CB in the NFL. I think he just has 1 more guy to beat. That is probably what the coach is thinking.
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Zen
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 3:11 pm

"Blake will get the opportunity to rebound" is all I have to see.

So, even if he plays "not-terrible" this weekend, does that mean he rebounded?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bench Antwon Blake   Bench Antwon Blake - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bench Antwon Blake
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next