Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time To Move On From Tomlin

Go down 
+18
Drizztbob
SteelCity4Life
kirklandrules
Lokki
Wallace108
schillah
Stella Nation
Great Randino
stlrtruck
Master_Of_Puppets
effyou515
SteelerFreak58
solardave
IowaSteeler927
LambertWardSteel
Mach1
Shalieve5090
jak341
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Maybe what he means is they won't be able to cover Eifert while he's sitting on his couch.

Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

As long as Butler and Tomlin are all on the same page. It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 1505004552

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 5:09 pm

The story made ESPN now....

Injured Bengals TE Tyler Eifert still a concern for Steelers' D?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25634081/cincinnati-bengals-tyler-eifert-glad-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-worried-him

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 12:42 am

Quote :
Mike Tomlin gone in Pittsburgh

the Pittsburgh Steelers have relieved Mike Tomlin of his head coaching duties and have promoted Keith Butler as inter head coach. It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 2829330259 It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 1689750825
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 1:44 am

Mach1 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Have to say, I really didn't expect our team to be very good this year.  So the fact that we have played toe to toe with 4 of the best teams in football (Chiefs, Rams, Chargers, Patriots****), is very encouraging.  Its maddening to lose to crappy teams because we could've been way high in the playoff seeding (as high as #2), instead of scrambling to maybe make the playoffs.

But considering where I thought we'd be, we're a lot more competitive than I expected.

And yes - Steelers fans are spoiled.  Try being a Lions fan or Browns fan and going decades without a winning season.  Makes you appreciate what we have - a team that is at least competitive every single season.

Obviously you weren't around for the '80s and most of the '90s. lol
Actually yes I was.  I've been an unwavering fan since 1971.  First season I followed them, the Steelers were 6-8, 2 years removed from going 1-13.

Believe me, I've seen it all.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 4:14 am

I think the plan is to put Vince Williams on the Bengals sideline in street clothes to keep an eye on Eifert. Just in case. It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 1505004552
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 6:06 am

LambertWardSteel wrote:
The story made ESPN now....

Injured Bengals TE Tyler Eifert still a concern for Steelers' D?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25634081/cincinnati-bengals-tyler-eifert-glad-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-worried-him

Beyond stupid. I mean yeah could've just been a slip, but I think as the defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers you should know exactly who you're playing against week in and week out. I mean we fans knew he is on the IR, so one would think Butler would know that better than us. I hope it was just a slip, if it wasn't it kind of justifies all the talk about Butler being dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 7:22 am

Yahoo Sports is covering it too.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/could-keith-butler-blunder-cause-035825653.html
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 7:54 am

jak341 wrote:

I'm not a Yahoo fan at all but I can't argue with the logic there.It's something we all have questioned for awhile. Especially when we come out in a daze against teams we should dominate.

Just how much film do Butler and/or Tomlin look at ahead of time? Maybe because we're so familiar with the Bengals that they don't feel the need to see who's in and who's out. Talk about walking right into this one.

If we lose this one the press will have a field day!
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 10:24 am

solardave wrote:
jak341 wrote:

I'm not a Yahoo fan at all but I can't argue with the logic there.It's something we all have questioned for awhile. Especially when we come out in a daze against teams we should dominate.

Just how much film do Butler and/or Tomlin look at ahead of time? Maybe because we're so familiar with the Bengals that they don't feel the need to see who's in and who's out. Talk about walking right into this one.

If we lose this one the press will have a field day!

That's not even Y! Sports, that is Pro Football Talk from NBC. Mike Florio is the author of the piece. Not exactly a nobody in the football world. They are questioning the very competancy of our coaching staff.

This quote is extremely damming:
Florio wrote:
If Butler’s brain fart wasn’t a one-time thing, Mike Tomlin knows or at least should know that Butler either isn’t putting in the work or can’t process the information, unless Tomlin also isn’t putting in the work or processing the information. Indeed, if there’s a flaw so basic and fundamental in Butler’s understanding of the players he’ll be trying to stop on Sunday, how many other flaws exist that aren’t widely known, both as to Butler and as to Tomlin?
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Just further proof Butler needs to be shown to door. When you don't even know a guy is on IR? Come on Man
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Some clarity on the Butler comment from Bob Labriola (for the record, it still doesn't change my opinion that he needs to go) ...

It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 DvmM5TPX0AEoWTR?format=jpg&name=900x900

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 5:44 am

I believe if our defense had played consistently well this year this would not be such a big deal but we know it hasn't. We've seen that we have enough talent to hang with the better teams while at other times there is a complete lack of focus.
We never know when the defense will play well or when it will simply disappear. All this IMO falls on the coaching staff. The lack of focus. The seeming lack of preparation and last but not least the inability to make any in game adjustments.
Every team we play should get our complete attention when we prepare. We should look at every game like it's a playoff. Win and we move on.So far all we've seen is a "one and done" mentality.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 7:51 pm

As much as it is time to move on, I expect...nothing. No changes at all. We will hear about: lack of turnovers, not able to make critical plays when needed, penalties, etc.

It will be another year next year with the three stooges at the helm. They won't be relieved until Ben retires.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 pm

If they give Tomlin one more season ok, but they need to find a new DC. No two ways about it. They can't possibly not fire anyone. 13-3 last year and get trounced in the playoffs, 7-2 this year and collapse. You cant not make a change
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 8:48 pm

And here it is. Nothing is going to change.

https://twitter.com/TimBenzPGH/status/1079547857290645504?s=20
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 9:25 pm

jak341 wrote:
And here it is. Nothing is going to change.

https://twitter.com/TimBenzPGH/status/1079547857290645504?s=20

Ben said what he is supposed to say though. That doesn't necessarily mean that nothing will change.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 pm

If they dont make changes they will get the same results.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 6:13 am

If some changes aren't made it will be the definition of insanity because it's just the attitude that "it isn't our fault...shit happens".
Hey. We need discipline and focus on the next game. We need leaders in the locker room and on the coaching staff.

What we don't need is bullshit excuses like "we need more splash plays". So tired of hearing this shit.
Right now they can toss Tomlin in the deep part of the Monongahela for all I care. There's your splash play Mike! 5000 passing yards and 34 TDs and you pissed it all away with more of the same.

He's proved he's not going to change his approach. Noll even at the end of his career took a couple so-so teams to the playoffs because that's what a great coach does. He adapted to the changing times.
Tomlin is a good coach but as long as he continues under achieving with above average talent he will never be a great coach.

Some of this is the frustration talking but the bulk of it is me fed up with the same old feeling. Tomlin pissing down our backs telling us it's raining.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 10:59 am

Square peg round hole. The standard is the standard.

Looking at the 2019 opponents with a Tomlin coached team 8 wins might be optimistic.

Home

Seattle Seahawks
Indianapolis Colts
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
Los Angeles Rams

Away

Los Angeles Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
New York Jets
New England Patriots*
Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals
Baltimore Ravens
Arizona Cardinals

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 11:36 am

Steelers players reportedly are grumbling about lack of accountability and discipline.

I'll share, once again, one of my posts from training camp ...

Wallace108 wrote:
NFL Network reported that the team is coming in with a much more serious attitude compared with last year. Supposedly, "more disciplined." That's until AB arrives in a helicopter. It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 3121608646

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 11:55 am

Already the Tomlin defenders are out in full force, mainly on Reddit and Twitter. Their reason for keeping Tomlin? He has never had a losing season.

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/1079595079839375360

Aditi Kinkhabwala rebuttals that arguement.

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1079690106099953664

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm

I've avoided this thread as much as possible because I've been on the fence with Tomlin. In my view, the pros and cons are almost equal. But there's one thing that has kept me in the camp of keeping Tomlin .... Art Rooney.

When I hear other Steelers fans talk, sometimes I get the sense that many think nothing has changed about how the organization is run ... that the Steelers Way still exists. It doesn't. It died with Dan Rooney. Art and Dan aren't the same person. Dan was a football guy who grew up with the team. Art was a lawyer who inherited the team. Their backgrounds are not the same. The way they run the team is not the same. And the way they choose coaches will not be the same. Dan gave us Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin. We don't know who Art will give us. With guys like Tomlin and Colbert still there, Dan's fingerprints are still on the team. But when those guys are gone, it's completely Art's team. And my biggest fear is that Art will turn this team into the Browns. And not the late season 2018, exciting and promising Browns ... no, not those Browns ... I mean the other Browns.

So even as I type this, I'm still on the fence. I see what everyone else is seeing, and I can't disagree with all the complaints. But I also can't shake my deep distrust of Art Rooney. So while I agree with much of the reasoning for getting rid of Tomlin, there's some old advice that is relevant: Be careful what you wish for ...

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 1:03 pm

One thing I'll say. Where were all of these "older" players during the season. If your HC,DC,OC or anyone else is not holding guys accountable I say grow some balls and tell it like it is. You're getting paid too you know. Call a players only meeting and work it out. Do something or don't complain after the season goes to shit. Nip it in the bud. Not the Bryant or Bell bud either.
You're grown ass men acting like little boys.

If this group doesn't become a team it won't matter who coaches. But in the end all of these distractions allowed to go on falls squarely on the Guy "who has not had a losing season"

As far as I'm concerned the attitude should be if we don't win it all we haven't really had a winning season. Make that the damn standard and cast off anyone not on board no matter who they are.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm with Wally sitting on the fence not know if I like Tomlin or think he's an underachiever. He does get the team to win and they tend to have relevancy most years. However, his record against losing teams is disgusting. Great teams and great coaches find ways to handle their business against lesser opponents. I know even the Patriots* will lose one to the 'Fins or the Bills every now and then, but not often enough to warrant a comparison to the Steelers record against the cellar.

When I think of the losses early this year, I really think Ben was a big part of them. Not just the INTs, but he just wasn't moving the offense as well as he should. Heck, we saw that yesterday .... against the Cincy water boy, ball boy, and professional jock strap holders left on that roster, Ben gets 1 TD and that was a screen. Yes, he had a great statistical year and there were games he won when the rest of the team was looking to blow it. However, there were too many games that the offense should have been able to put teams away and they instead faltered.

If I were to give Tomlin one piece of advice (and I know there are so many things we could tell the guy, like hire someone to advise on challenging plays) it would be to look at the week of the Patriots* game and figure out how they went through the preparation for that game and how they coached through that game. I thought they out-coached Belicheat in every area (even if the Offense still could have put up more points). The coaching talent was definitely there for that game, but was specifically lacking in Cleveland (game 1), Denver, Oakland and N.O.

No, Tomlin is not solely responsible for his QB's high INT rate, his kicker going all basket-case on us, the defense being 1 stud away from where it needs to be. But there were too many times his decisions failed the team when they needed him the most.

In the end, I think the Steelers should keep Tomlin until Ben makes his exit. This is his team and he can make the changes needed to win. A change now could throw us into unnecessary rebuilding mode. Find a way to draft an athletic ILB (off hand I like Josh Allen, Kentucky and Germain Pratt, NC State) another CB and see if there's another talented FA who can help put this team over the top (I think the Steelers can roll-over the $14.5M they tied up with Bell this year, so they should have the cash).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time To Move On From Tomlin   It's Time To Move On From Tomlin - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time To Move On From Tomlin
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next