Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWelcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree

Go down 
+42
Atlanta Dan
Stella Nation
pczach
fer69
El-Gonzo Jackson
Steellamb86
FrancoLambert
ImperialFan
stlrtruck
IowaSteeler927
43Hitman
andywitmyer
kirklandrules
lipps83
EbonySteel86
Steeler Zach
SoCalFan
Steelcitian
effyou515
Galax Steeler
solardave
steelersrush
SteelersCanada
teegre
BlackAndGold
tony hipchest
Steel Peon
kan_t
Fire Arians
steelcrazy
Hawaii 5-0
steelstoned1972
TherealCasteeler
Master_Of_Puppets
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
ETL
Gingerchip
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
Lokki
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Vis
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 1:56 am

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

Pittsburgh Steelers:

22. Alvin Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky: A+ Grade

Wow, how does this continue to happen? It seems like every year, great prospects slip in the draft and fall into Pittsburgh's lap. I thought it was going to be Shane Ray or Randy Gregory, but it turned out to be another pass-rusher. Alvin Dupree was getting top-10 buzz prior to the draft. I thought that was a bit too high for him, but I figured the No. 13 spot was the right area for him. I thought the Saints would pick him when they were on the clock, but apparently not. Dupree has tremendous upside and should provide a big boost in terms of getting to the quarterback.

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2015pit.php#6QDxQt4WxP2KUg2v.99
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 2:12 am

I know it may not matter to some fans, but I happen to find off field behavior important also. Looks like our #1 draft pick has zero character issues.

Ron Cook: A lot to like about Steelers pick Bud Dupree, even off the field

Character issues?

Not with Bud Dupree, the Steelers’ No. 1 draft pick Thursday night.

“I just wanna see my mama happy,” Dupree told the Lexington (Ky.) Herald Leader, explaining why he will graduate from Kentucky on time next month in four years with a degree in Community and Leadership Development.

I like the kid already.

That Dupree is a solid citizen is not the only reason Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert called him “a gift for us” at the No. 22 slot in the NFL draft. It wasn’t as important as Dupree’s size, speed, power and versatility. “He’s really a unique animal,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s his own man.” But the character stuff mattered.

“I try to go about my business the right way,” Dupree told CFB 24/​7.

The Steelers could have taken highly rated Missouri linebacker Shane Ray, who went to the Denver Broncos at No. 23 despite being cited earlier this week for marijuana possession. They also could have gone after Nebraska rush linebacker Randy Gregory, once a likely top-10 pick who wasn’t taken in the first round Thursday night after a positive test for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. But the team didn’t sell itself to the devil, so to speak. It didn’t take a risk on a player with a questionable background. I like that.

“Very humble,” Colbert said of Dupree. “There was endless support and praise for this kid at Kentucky. They really believe that he was their leader.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/05/01/Ron-Cook-A-lot-to-like-about-Steelers-pick-Bud-Dupree-even-off-the-field/stories/201505010210

Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 We_bel10
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 2:32 am

Pittsburgh Steelers select Bud Dupree No. 22 in 2015 NFL draft

The top-10 buzz surrounding Kentucky edge-rusher Bud Dupree was a bit over the top given his limitations. At No. 22, though, where the Steelers selected Dupree on Thursday night, Dupree's upside will be less scrutinized.

The Pittsburgh defensive approach also could make Dupree an impact defender right away—he's a strong, athletic force outside, at his best when he can pin his ears back and get downhill. The Steelers will be able to use him in coverage, as well, which obviously adds to his value. The main knock (and the reason he dipped out of the top 10 down to this pick) is that he is very raw. That's true both about his counter-moves when he's blocked and his ability to diagnose a play. The upside is through the roof. Pittsburgh has limited options at OLB, even re-signing James Harrison again while hoping Jarvis Jones develops. Dupree's a fit.

Strengths: Versatile player who provides value everywhere from outside linebacker to pass-rushing linebacker to situational end with his hand on the ground. As a stand-up rusher, has tremendous first-step quickness and closes to the pocket in a hurry. Bends the edge in space quickly enough for blockers to struggle in adjustment. Can mirror tight ends and slot receivers in coverage and could be used very creatively in that regard in defenses with a high percentage of nickel and dime schemes. Moves into short and intermediate coverage adeptly, keeping his eyes front for running backs and mobile quarterbacks. Ideal build for a multi-gap pass-rusher—long arms and a muscular frame.​

Weaknesses: Doesn't have the raw strength to play to his size—comes off the ball too high too often and can easily be taken out to either side by blockers. Occasionally will get poleaxed by outside blockers, including tight ends. Needs room off the edge to be consistently disruptive, because he displays limited hand movement and engages more than he sheds blockers. Go-to pass rush move at this point is pushing off the blocker to either side—must be more versatile with his technique. Overpursuit has him tacking bad angles more often than you'd like—needs to be more aware of his surroundings.​

Player comparison: Akeem Ayers

Grade: A-minus

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/30/pittsburgh-steelers-select-bud-dupree-2015-nfl-draft
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 3:48 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
kan_t wrote:
I like this pick. Huge upside. But people need to have patience.

no way.

if "Bud" Dupree doesn't get at least two sacks in every game starting with pre-season he will immediately be re-named "Bust" Dupree...
bud "double dong" Dupree?

Dong post! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 4:45 am

I like the pick hopefully he will fill the void that Worilds left.

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:25 am

Fire Arians wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
kan_t wrote:
I like this pick. Huge upside. But people need to have patience.

no way.

if "Bud" Dupree doesn't get at least two sacks in every game starting with pre-season he will immediately be re-named "Bust" Dupree...
bud "double dong" Dupree?

Dong post! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1797695198

Bust Dongpree

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:33 am

I can see it now great player through his rookie contract then the Steelers sign him to a big bucks contract gets fat like Woodley and then gets cut by the Steelers. Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1689750825
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 8:04 am

solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
I'm going to predict that Jones blossoms and becomes a beast and Dupree is a rookie phenom. It doesn't matter who we have in the secondary. Hell, bring Chad Scott  and Dwayne Washington out of retirement. You heard it here first! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 2196231899

Let's not get carried away here. Washington maybe but Scott. You must be..... Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1335507402

No way! Bud and Jones are gonna be just that good! Don't piss on my parade! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 348340646 Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 8:15 am

Steelers take LB Bud Dupree with 22nd pick
By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer)
8 hours ago
AP - Sports


PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Bud Dupree sat in the green room on Thursday night as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell kept ticking off names wondering when he'd finally hear his name called.

''It was horrible,'' Dupree said with a laugh.

Until suddenly, it wasn't. When the Pittsburgh Steelers grabbed the massive Kentucky outside linebacker with the 22nd overall pick, Dupree's slide down the draft board landed him in a prime spot: on a perennial winner in dire need of some menace in its pass rush.

The Steelers certainly feel the 6-foot-4, 270-pound Dupree can provide it in bunches.

''He's really a unique animal,'' coach Mike Tomlin said.

The defending AFC North champions will need him to be as they try to restore some of the bit to a defense that has looked ordinary of late. Pittsburgh finished 18th in points and yards allowed last season and 26th in sacks. Dupree has the size to be effective against the run and the speed to beat tackles off the edge. He rolled up 23 1/2 sacks in his career with the Wildcats, including 7 1/2 last season.

(Read More:) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-linebacker-bud-dupree-22nd-pick-024628285--nfl.html

Back to top Go down
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 8:57 am

Glad we got this guy- The pass rush needs a major shot in the arm, I'll be happy once we address CB.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:06 am

I love the pick. No sense in reaching on a corner in a good draft for them when you have a guy like this fall into your laps. He also sounds like a great kid. Really humble, eager to learn, and smart. Cannot believe he fell to us. So guys are we going to shout Budddddddddddddd or Dupreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when he gets a big play?
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:06 am

Steelcitian wrote:
Glad we got this guy- The pass rush needs a major shot in the arm, I'll be happy once we address CB.

It's kind of a two-fer. A good pass rush can cover up some deficiencies in the secondary. A good CB can only cover for so long if there's no pass rush. It was the better pick in terms of value I believe. We can still get a solid corner in round 2 or 3. Make no mistake though, I will organize a riot if they ignore corner any later than that. Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:09 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
I love the pick. No sense in reaching on a corner in a good draft for them when you have a guy like this fall into your laps. He also sounds like a great kid. Really humble, eager to learn, and smart. Cannot believe he fell to us. So guys are we going to shout Budddddddddddddd or Dupreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when he gets a big play?

When he gets a big play? I'm STILL waiting for him to make one for us! It's been at least 10 hours since he was drafted and not one splash play made yet! The Steelers just need to eat this one and cut his ass now. Colbert should be tarred and feathered for drafting this unproductive waste! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 124247948

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:12 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

When he gets a big play? I'm STILL waiting for him to make one for us! It's been at least 10 hours since he was drafted and not one splash play made yet! The Steelers just need to eat this one and cut his ass now. Colbert should be tarred and feathered for drafting this unproductive waste! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 124247948
It gets worse Buddha, I don't even think he's on the plane yet to Pittsburgh!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:15 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

It gets worse Buddha, I don't even think he's on the plane yet to Pittsburgh!

Then it clearly should be shoot to kill on sight. Dude obviously hates Pittsburgh and wants to play for Bruce Arians. Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 2913999526

Back to top Go down
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:20 am

Should trade him for Tebow who can line up as TE and replace Heath Miller.
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:29 am

Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 19799_894318613942976_4597604525761651110_n

Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:46 am

Is this the thread where I call Dupree a bust and a waste of a pick? Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:57 am

Steeler Zach wrote:
Is this the thread where I call Dupree a bust and a waste of a pick? Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1797695198

No. That's pretty much all of them. Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 3798349058

Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 10:35 am

Hard for me to get too excited about this guy. Alot of upside, but very raw. Plus the fact we haven't been doing too well drafting LB'S lately. Outside of Timmons and Woodley, our LB'S been average, at best. Still gotta wait on Shazier before making any real judgement, but Carter, Stevenson, Davis, Gibson, Humpal, Jones, Spence, etc, haven't really made an impact on this team. Woirlds was good, but he wasn't a "Woirlds " beater. Hopefully Dupree can change that, not to mention we yet again dismiss one of the top CB'S in this draft. Keenan Lewis was the best CB we've drafted since Tomlin became coach. (Still pissed we let him go, but whatever) I know pass rush is important,  but it would be nice to have a CB opposing qbs would think twice about throwing  at.  So I'm in a "wait and see" state of mind right now with this pick.
Back to top Go down
lipps83
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 10:50 am

Dupree will be the first and only player in league history with 30+ sacks in a season. When he retires, they will change the name of his playing position from 'linebacker' to 'Dupree'. Teams will talk about needing to upgrade their Duprees in the draft. They will discuss how they like what they have at the 'inside dupree (that doesn't sound right Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1505004552 )' position but are looking to better themselves at the 'outside dupree' spot.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Twitter reactions to the Pittsburgh Steelers drafting Bud Dupree
By Jeff.Hartman  @BnGBlitz on Apr 30, 2015, 10:51p 13

The Pittsburgh Steelers have added Bud Dupree through the NFL Draft. See what the Twitter world had to say about the selection.

There is always criticism over any draft pick. See what people were saying on Twitter following the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting Bud Dupree in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Teammates, media and fans all chime in on their feelings about the pass rusher going with the 22nd overall draft pick.

(Read Twitter Reactions:) http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers/2015/4/30/8524215/twitter-reactions-to-the-pittsburgh-steelers-drafting-bud-dupree

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Absolutely love this pick! Something that isn't showing up in many articles is that Colbert said they thought about trading to move up and get Dupree. But he fell past a few teams and they thought it more likely he would land in their lap. I suspect they may have been targeting Kevin Johnson, but with him off the board and Dupree falling to them, it was a great pick.

I've heard the downside to this guy: Raw talent that needs development; needs to work on pass rush technique; needs to set his base better to engage offensive tackles to produce better results; easily poleaxed by TEs and RBs.

Poleax this! Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 798776511

Look, this guy is more ready for play left OLB than anyone the Steelers have selected in the past 20 years. I loved Woodley coming out of college, but he was more raw than Dupree. One of the hardest things for a guy in this position to learn isn't pass rushing technique, it's coverage responsibilities. And yet that is something Dupree's credited with as a strength. He's also strong against the run. Look, strong side OLB (the left side) is a much tougher position to get sacks because the QB usually is able to see that side better (hence the other side is called the "blind" side ... just ask any James Harrison victim). I just want him to get pressure, make the QB worried about getting hit. Stop the run, that would be great. And if you get a pick, I'd like to see someone try to catch you ... and when they do, what the hell are they going to do to bring your big ass down? Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 1683801514

Jarvis Jones
Lawrence Timmons
Ryan Shazier
Bud Dupree

Those 4 guys fly around the field and bring the lumber with them  Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 3514758605
Can't wait to see how this group performs by the second half of the season - although Moats will be working hard to keep the left OLB starting position ... don't count him out. Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 2672159185
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 3:37 pm

They'll be introducing Bud in a press conference at 4pm EST on Steelers.com

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Nickname alert:

Smokin Bud Dupree

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree   Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the newest Steeler, Bud Dupree
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next