Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones

Go down 
+45
Steeler-in-west
BKAnthem
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
JPPT1974
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Stryker
schillah
steelerdude15
Atlanta Dan
lotas
ImperialFan
marvology
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
HeinzMustard
DesertSteel
tony hipchest
jak341
Chaotic Zen
SteelerFreak58
Craziaskowboi
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
SteelerSpartan
steelcityboyz
steelersrush
Wallace108
Stella Nation
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
ETL
steelcrazy
pczach
harrison'samonster
steelstoned1972
Buddha Bus
fer69
vasteeler
Lokki
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 3:00 pm

DUPREE PROMOTION A SNAP

Rookie outside linebacker Bud Dupree got his first start Sunday. Tomlin attributed the decision as “the continued growth and development of Bud. We want to increase the number of opportunities he gets.”

Dupree was moved from being paired with Harrison to being part of a duo with Jarvis Jones, another first-round pick. Ironically, Harrison and Arthur Moats played more snaps.

Asked if Jones might be in line for more work, Tomlin was hesitant to expound and cited outside linebacker coach Joey Porter's comments from May, when Porter said the 37-year-old Harrison would be limited to 25 snaps per game (he's well exceeded that).

“I'm not going to get into outlining my intended rotation with (the media), because then I back myself into a corner, and I'm asked more questions regarding that,” Tomlin said. “Part of it for me is educating young coaches like coach Porter. He opened that can of worms up in the spring talking about rotations. He and I have answered that question repeatedly. Hopefully, it's lesson learned for him.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9546139-74/tomlin-boykin-game#ixzz3tCAnG4NF
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 1:19 am

Jarvis Jones is an interception machine... It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1797695198

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Jpeg
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2015 3:00 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Jarvis Jones is an interception machine... It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1797695198

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Jpeg

He was amazing. I don't think any other LB on the team could have made such a break on the ball for the INT like he did.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:38 am

An observation from Ed B. of the P-G this morning

Where Are The Outside Linebackers?

When the dust clears, we will see that it was not just the Steelers secondary that failed them, but their pass rush as well, particularly their outside linebackers, who have not had a sack in four of the past five games. James Harrison, 37, leads all the outside linebackers with five sacks, which also ranks second on the team only behind Cam Heyward’s seven.

One more sack and Brandon Boykin (1) will tie Jarvis Jones (2), who has one fewer than Will Allen (3).
It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1505004552

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/12/29/Where-Are-The-Outside-Linebackers/stories/201512290001

Not exactly the level of production that supports paying out these $$$

[T]he Steelers have to decide if they want to allocate $8 million or more to Jarvis Jones. That’s how much it will likely take to pick up the fifth-year option on Jones’ rookie contract.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/30/Steelers-notebook-Jarvis-Jones-You-can-t-make-it-about-yourself/stories/201510300163

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:59 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
[T]he Steelers have to decide if they want to allocate $8 million or more to Jarvis Jones. That’s how much it will likely take to pick up the fifth-year option on Jones’ rookie contract.

see ya
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

see ya

Feels like a hostage situation. Give us $8million dollars, or Jarvis Jones walks. I think we better call in a qualified negotiator!!

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Will_ferrell_other_guys1
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Bust.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:39 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:

see ya

Feels like a hostage situation.  Give us $8million dollars, or Jarvis Jones walks.  I think we better call in a qualified negotiator!!

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Will_ferrell_other_guys1

Actually feels like one of those chinese swap meet markets where the salesperson is trying to rip you off, but naming a price that makes it obvious

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Tomlin said, in retrospect, the Steelers needed to create more pressure on quarterback Ryan Mallet, who was making his first start for the Ravens just 12 days after being signed. Mallet was sacked only once – by cornerback Brandon Boykin.

“There wasn’t enough negativity,” Tomlin said. “That creates an environment where we couldn’t do what we wanted to do.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/29/Mike-Tomlin-Steelers-keeping-postseason-hopes-alive/stories/201512290153
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
“There wasn’t enough negativity,” Tomlin said. “That creates an environment where we couldn’t do what we wanted to do.”

I don't know. I was in the gameday thread and there was plenty of negativity to help create an environment where they couldn't do what they wanted to do.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1797695198

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 4:26 am

pczach wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

I don't know. I was in the gameday thread and there was plenty of negativity to help create an environment where they couldn't do what they wanted to do.

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1797695198

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1647293567

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 11:09 am

Jones faced several double teams against the Ravens, so I'm not surprised he didn't get a sack.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 4:30 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Jones faced several double teams against the Ravens, so I'm not surprised he didn't get a sack.

So what happened the other 14 games of this season?
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 11:01 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

The same thing that happened with Harrison. Aside from one game when Harrison collected 3 sacks, Jones was carrying the same number of sacks ... with less opportunities. In fact, if you want to see a Harrison sack outside of that big night he had against Indy, you have to go back to week 6. Yep, week 6. You seem to see a Jones issue and I'm seeing a scheme problem. None of the OLBs are getting the opportunities that position used to get in the past. Are you seeing the intricate blitz packages they used to run in the past? When was the last time you saw an opposing OT have to decide between a guy on his inside and the guy on his outside at the snap? It's not because Butler doesn't know how to call different blitzes or doesn't have the guts to put pressure on the opposing QB. It's because the secondary sucks so bad that the base defense for the Steelers nowadays is the nickle: One less d-lineman for the O-line to block; one less d-lineman to consumer offensive lineman; one less d-lineman to force a double team and leave a man unblocked or with a substantial edge.

Everyone thinks pressure on the QB will help the secondary. That's true to an extent. But when a secondary is so bad the coaches have to take starters off the field and replace them with extra DBs, that's not going to get you pressure. A package of 6 DBs does not provide the best opportunity to get pressure (unless you start blitzing those DBs, in the case of the Boykin sack).

I think Harrison is still an awesome OLB and he should have more sacks than he currently has. It's not because of talent, it's because the d-coordinator is spending more time covering the teams weakness than attacking with his strengths. Hell, Jones could be a bust for all I know. But at this point I can't say I've seen enough of him under good circumstances to know what value he has. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 2087824411
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 4:25 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

The same thing that happened with Harrison. Aside from one game when Harrison collected 3 sacks, Jones was carrying the same number of sacks ... with less opportunities. In fact, if you want to see a Harrison sack outside of that big night he had against Indy, you have to go back to week 6. Yep, week 6. You seem to see a Jones issue and I'm seeing a scheme problem. None of the OLBs are getting the opportunities that position used to get in the past. Are you seeing the intricate blitz packages they used to run in the past? When was the last time you saw an opposing OT have to decide between a guy on his inside and the guy on his outside at the snap? It's not because Butler doesn't know how to call different blitzes or doesn't have the guts to put pressure on the opposing QB. It's because the secondary sucks so bad that the base defense for the Steelers nowadays is the nickle: One less d-lineman for the O-line to block; one less d-lineman to consumer offensive lineman; one less d-lineman to force a double team and leave a man unblocked or with a substantial edge.

Everyone thinks pressure on the QB will help the secondary. That's true to an extent. But when a secondary is so bad the coaches have to take starters off the field and replace them with extra DBs, that's not going to get you pressure. A package of 6 DBs does not provide the best opportunity to get pressure (unless you start blitzing those DBs, in the case of the Boykin sack).

I think Harrison is still an awesome OLB and he should have more sacks than he currently has. It's not because of talent, it's because the d-coordinator is spending more time covering the teams weakness than attacking with his strengths. Hell, Jones could be a bust for all I know. But at this point I can't say I've seen enough of him under good circumstances to know what value he has. It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 2087824411

Jarvis Jones does not have the speed or quickness to beat a OT to the outside.
Jarvis Jones does not have the hand skills or spin move to beat an OT to the inside.
Jarvis Jones can bull rush, but the OT normally anchors well enough to keep him from the QB.

If you want to see him under "good circumstances", then he will have to pass rush against college O lineman, as its become very apparent that he doesn't have the requisite skillset to pass rush an NFL O lineman outside, inside or straight.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 5:36 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Jarvis Jones does not have the speed or quickness to beat a OT to the outside.
Jarvis Jones does not have the hand skills or spin move to beat an OT to the inside.
Jarvis Jones can bull rush, but the OT normally anchors well enough to keep him from the QB.

If you want to see him under "good circumstances", then he will have to pass rush against college O lineman, as its become very apparent that he doesn't have the requisite skillset to pass rush an NFL O lineman outside, inside or straight.

He definitely lacks that explosion / closing speed that Dupree has. Jones in all his years as a steeler, as much as I want to believe in him, has shown nothing more than just being an average athlete and average player. He may have a long career in the NFL but he won't be much more than a reliable backup like moats. Definitely doesn't live up to the first round billing. In 4 years I haven't seen enough of the splash plays out of him that we're looking for. Hell, I think Dupree already has had more splash plays in his first year than Jones had in all his years combined.

I hope Chickillo works out because I'd hate to have to spend another high round pick on an OLB
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 5:46 pm

Jones benefited from weak OT's in college and QB's scrambling right to his side. I have no idea what Tomlin and company saw in him. From the Steeler OLB's of past, there is no way Jarvis Jones screamed steeler linebacker.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 8:53 am

“Everybody loves sacks,” Jones said. “I wish I had 15 sacks. Sometimes you just have to play within the scheme of the defense. I think we play a lot of coverage, our outside linebackers.”

He WISHES he had sacks... is there a stat for that???
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 9:19 am

He's never going to be a special player. He didn't have any skilled pass rush moves coming out of college. That's what some of us were worried about when the Steelers drafted him. He certainly wasn't worthy of a first round pick.

He hasn't earned a second contract to be anything other than a depth LB. I think they have seen enough of his play to know what he can or can't do.

It's unfortunate. He seems like a good guy. I wanted to see him improve and help the team, but it just hasn't happened.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 8:35 pm

A look at the Pittsburgh Steelers who were "up" and those who were "down" in the 2015 season.

DOWN

Antwon Blake: He wasn't as bad as fans made him out to be, but he struggled in coverage for parts of the year. He made it on the "down" list multiple times. Blake just didn't have the breakout year he was expecting. He's a good tackler but struggles in one-on-one settings.

Ryan Shazier: Health contributed to this. He had trouble staying on the field in the season's first 10 games. He flashed playmaking ability but never really established a rhythm.

Jarvis Jones: Five sacks in three years is a hard sell for a first-round pick. The Steelers like his versatility and his ability against the run, but pass rushing was supposed to be his specialty. Jones is part of a four-man outside linebacker rotation, and he was the only one of the four with fewer than four sacks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/194343/antonio-brown-up-antwon-blake-down-for-steelers-in-2015
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Jones is part of a four-man outside linebacker rotation, and he was the only one of the four with fewer than four sacks.

ouch...
Back to top Go down
Stryker

Stryker

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Bust. Time to move on.

"It was time to go to the mattresses if you will" - Mike Tomlin

The worst tragedy in the world is running out of a pack of Luckies
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 10:02 pm

He'll be back next year but, no way does his 5th year option get picked up.

One of many 1st round bust in the 2013 draft. Awful draft class for pass rushers.

Desmond Trufant would have been nice though. Kyle Long also.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 11:27 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:

One of many 1st round bust in the 2013 draft. Awful draft class for pass rushers.

Yes, hindsight what it is. I thought that pick was a bit high for Trufant, but I was leaning to Matt Elam, so what the hell do I know?
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 12:46 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

Yes, hindsight what it is.  I thought that pick was a bit high for Trufant, but I was leaning to Matt Elam, so what the hell do I know?

I wanted Cordarrelle Patterson, thought he was a future star It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 1505004552

PostSubject: Re: It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones   It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time for Joey Porter to Shut Up About Jarvis Jones
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next