Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHow far can Vick take us. - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

How far can Vick take us.

Go down 
+46
Vis
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Steel Peon
steelcityboyz
SteelersYak
SteelerEmpire
schillah
Geordie
SteelCityUnderground
Drizztbob
Buddha Bus
Steelcitian
jak341
vasteeler
Rhyno
OX1947
lotas
FanSince72
Atlanta Dan
SteelCity4Life
mscarmel0716
jigones
teegre
Wallace108
Stella Nation
stlrtruck
El-Gonzo Jackson
LambertLunatic
SteelersNorth
kan_t
FrancoLambert
Lokki
solardave
Hawaii 5-0
Dave75th
Bert Gordon
SteelerFreak58
SoCalFan
tony hipchest
Master_Of_Puppets
harrison'samonster
white_steel_wolfe
pczach
Steeler-in-west
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
ImperialFan
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Vick = one awesome turnover machine! Dude needs to quit scrambling while palming the ball!!! How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 2913999526 I just hope he takes advantage of the weapons around him! Me and my 2 Golden Retrievers will be watching anxiously come Thursday!

SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm fairly confident in Vick to help us out in Ben's absence, and it's simply because of all the weapons on offense. There's enough talent around him that the offense can do work as long as our defense keeps playing the way it has, which is outstanding since the 2nd game.

I don't get the praise our O line is getting though. They're the reason we lost our star QB; they failed to protect the key piece and I get that the Rams got a good D line, but that's no excuse for how they played against the Rams IMO.

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers. How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 1505004552
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 12:17 am

^dump off passes to Bell, utilize Heath also, ball control, we don't need hero ball
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 8:51 am

He may have been in a rotten mood after not getting back to Pittsburgh from St Louis until Monday afternoon, but for whatever reason Ed B. of the P-G thinks the prospects of keeping the season together until Ben returns are pretty grim

This was to be the season in which Roethlisberger and his team’s dynamic offense would carry a young, transitioning defense, especially early. Well, it’s still early and, while that defense did carry them in their quirky, 12-6 victory Sunday in St. Louis, it might not be able to keep those tender fingers in the dike over the next 4-6 weeks. That is the timetable Roethlisberger will need to recover from the sprained MCL and bone bruise in his left knee before he returns to play.

There also is the matter of all those other playmakers on offense such as their two All-Pros, running back Le’Veon Bell and wide receiver Antonio Brown. How effective might they be with Mike Vick at quarterback instead of Roethlisberger?

The idea might be to lean on Bell, the AFC’s leading rusher in 2014. Let him carry them the way Jerome Bettis once did. But Bell was effective in part because he played with a quarterback who tied for the most passing yards in the NFL. Defenses loosen up when they must worry about such a passer, which opens many lanes for a back such as Bell who knows how to find them and hit them quickly.

It won’t be the same without Roethlisberger. Defenses will pack it up front to try to stop Bell and Vick from hurting them on the ground. They will dare Vick to throw on them, especially deep. They won’t have to double-team Brown anymore. Vick has a strong arm and certainly can throw it deep, but he’s not nearly as accurate as Roethlisberger, especially on long passes.

What do you think the Baltimore Ravens are putting in their defensive game plan right now? Stop Bell, at all costs. Let Vick try to beat them with his passing. Brown? He’s only an All-Pro when someone can deliver him the football and, if Vick cannot do that, Brown cannot hurt an opponent unless he somehow breaks a punt return.

Brown’s prolific production is not likely to continue with Vick at quarterback. Neither might the Steelers’ ball security. Vick was criticized in his first two seasons (2011-12) as Philadelphia’s quarterback when he threw 24 interceptions and fumbled 21 times in 23 games.

Sunday, he fumbled once, but Bell recovered at the Steelers 24. He also had a pass dropped from his 37 by St. Louis cornerback Lamarcus Joyner that should have been an interception.

The Steelers discussed signing Vick early in training camp when it became obvious that their backups were not good enough and that veteran Bruce Gradkowski’s ailing right shoulder wasn’t getting any better. They dragged their feet, however, perhaps because of the political repercussions they knew would come with signing a felon who spent nearly two years in jail for dog fighting....

Therefore, Vick has had very little time not only in their offense but also with the first team. He will not get much more time this week. The players had off Monday and will practice today and Wednesday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/09/29/Steelers-face-many-adjustments-as-Mjke-Vick-steps-in-at-QB-for-injured-Ben-Roethlisberger/stories/201509290054

Just a tough season so far - even the schedule provides no relief with a short week for Vick to work with the first team offense and no bye while Ben is out How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 2913999526
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 10:46 am

It's not really up to Vick as much as it's up to Haley.

If Bell's return (before Ben's departure) is any indication of how to plan for a transition, then we may be in for a bumpy ride.

Case in point:
For two weeks we were treated to a near clinic on power rushing from D'Angelo Williams and the passing game (and scoring ability) only got better.  Now, one would think that knowing Bell would return on a specific day that Haley would have set up a game plan that would have been a bit more seamless than what we got.  

Perhaps Bell's return should have been more about transition than replacement because Williams was non-existent and the shock to the running game and the ripples through the passing game stood out like the Blood Moon on Sunday night.

I hope that Haley learned from this and recognizes that Vick cannot simply be a replacement or some sort of place-holder for four to six weeks but rather needs to have a game plan built around him in order to use whatever skills he brings to the field to their best advantage.

But if Haley's preparations for Vick are anything like they were for Bell, I think we're in for our own very long eclipse.

We'll see...

lotas

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 11:28 am

FanSince72 wrote:

If Bell's return (before Ben's departure) is any indication of how to plan for a transition, then we may be in for a bumpy ride.

Case in point:
For two weeks we were treated to a near clinic on power rushing from D'Angelo Williams and the passing game (and scoring ability) only got better.  Now, one would think that knowing Bell would return on a specific day that Haley would have set up a game plan that would have been a bit more seamless than what we got.  

Perhaps Bell's return should have been more about transition than replacement because Williams was non-existent and the shock to the running game and the ripples through the passing game stood out like the Blood Moon on Sunday night.

I hope that Haley learned from this and recognizes that Vick cannot simply be a replacement or some sort of place-holder for four to six weeks but rather needs to have a game plan built around him in order to use whatever skills he brings to the field to their best advantage.

But if Haley's preparations for Vick are anything like they were for Bell, I think we're in for our own very long eclipse.

We'll see...

Spot on, I noticed this as well and was surprised how slow and unprepared our offense looked with Bell. Obviously he has to shake off the dust and get his game time legs back but all of that aside, the offense did not feel as cohesive with Bell in there. It makes me more nervous for Vick filling in now because again, we have another major offensive transition with a player that is questionable at best when it comes to being consistent or conservative with the ball. I hope I'm wrong, but I get the sense Vick is not going to truly warm up and come into his own until a game or two before Ben's return, if at all!

I do wonder if we are underplaying the Rams defense and how well they really played on Sunday? I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach on the drive (and specifically the play before) Ben got hurt and went down because it felt like the momentum was quickly changing and their D was overpowering our offense, and we started to look a bit lost and frazzled. We put up 43 like it's nothing and then can only score 9 in the first half with our offensive powerhouse of a running back in the lineup again?

Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 12:16 pm

lotas wrote:
FanSince72 wrote:

Case in point:

We'll see...

Spot on, I noticed this as well and was surprised how slow and unprepared our offense looked with Bell. Obviously he has to shake off the dust and get his game time legs back but all of that aside, the offense did not feel as cohesive with Bell in there. It makes me more nervous for Vick filling in now because again, we have another major offensive transition with a player that is questionable at best when it comes to being consistent or conservative with the ball. I hope I'm wrong, but I get the sense Vick is not going to truly warm up and come into his own until a game or two before Ben's return, if at all!

I do wonder if we are underplaying the Rams defense and how well they really played on Sunday? I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach on the drive (and specifically the play before) Ben got hurt and went down because it felt like the momentum was quickly changing and their D was overpowering our offense, and we started to look a bit lost and frazzled. We put up 43 like it's nothing and then can only score 9 in the first half with our offensive powerhouse of a running back in the lineup again?

This whole situation is leading to a lot of over analizing. Had Ben not gotten hurt we probably win that game 19-3 and Bell's not to hot performance is a footnote and we role right through the Ravens thursday. Now with Vick down it throws a wrench into the gears of this offense and we may need to count on the defense to hold team under 20 points if we want a chance to win for the next month or so. Thats really all there is to it.

If Alex Rodriguez can have a late career come back as the most hated man in baseball that leaves it in the realm of possibility for Vick to perform better than people expect as the most hated man in football, hes rested , healthy and plays for a much better team with a much better coach than he has ever had.

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 12:48 pm

. .
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:36 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
lotas wrote:
FanSince72 wrote:

Case in point:

We'll see...

This whole situation is leading to a lot of over analizing. Had Ben not gotten hurt we probably win that game 19-3 and Bell's not to hot performance is a footnote and we role right through the Ravens thursday. Now with Vick down it throws a wrench into the gears of  this offense and we may need to count on the defense to hold team under 20 points if we want a chance to win for the next month or so. Thats really all there is to it.

If Alex Rodriguez can have a late career come back as the most hated man in baseball that leaves it in the realm of possibility for Vick to perform better than people expect as the most hated man in football, hes rested , healthy and plays for a much better team with a much better coach than he has ever had.

The other side of that coin is that because Haley's transition to Bell was so lacking, it caused us to HAVE to throw far more than we have been and to do so as an alternative to a poor running game rather than as a supplement to a good one.

The more Ben has to drop back, the more the chance of getting hit -- especially if the other team knows that the running game isn't there.

I could understand if Bell came in to replace an injured pklayer, but the whole world knew when he was coming back and Haley didn't seem to be ready for it.
I just hope he's more prepared for Vick.

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm

FanSince72 wrote:
I could understand if Bell came in to replace an injured player, but the whole world knew when he was coming back and Haley didn't seem to be ready for it.
I just hope he's more prepared for Vick.

Ed B. of the P-G (who was pushing for Vick to be signed in early August when it was clear Gradkowski had serious shoulder issues) now thinks it is  a matter of Vick preparing for Haley's system, which in turn means it could be Landry Jones time - yikes How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 294855916

Not only will Landry Jones suit up for the first time in his three seasons with the Steelers, I don’t think we’ve heard the last from him. It would not surprise me if he plays some quarterback during Roethlisberger’s absence.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/09/29/Steelers-Record-Mixed-Without-Ben/stories/201509290002

Hi Ed. Really interested to see your thought that we'd see Landry Jones on the field in the next few weeks. Where's that instinct from? Based on play styles, Vick, things you've heard?  

Ed Bouchette: Vick tends to get hurt and Landry Jones fits their style of offense more.

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Rams have the best defensive line in football. Can not judge too much on performance from that.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Landry Jones looked a lot better this pre season. A lot more comfortable, but still just a skinny little guy with a weak little arm. can do some dink and dunk though.

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Stats say, at some point, Mike will either get hurt or he will turn the ball over too much. Tomlin and crew did run an unbelievable program for 4 games back when Big Ben was suspended, they will need to do something like that for the next 6 games. 4-2 has to be best case, 3-3 would mean wild card, 2-4 or worse, would mean out of the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 3:40 pm

The few years ago I remember the texans making a playoffs run with their 3rd string qb after schuab went down, then their back up. I think that goes to show with the right surrounding cast you may be able to do very well.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Todd Haley been working w/ Mike Vick to cull plays and, as Vick said, "eliminate the ones I'm not comfortable w/." Said plenty he loves

— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) September 29, 2015
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

Rhyno

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 4:00 pm

OX1947 wrote:
Rams have the best defensive line in football. Can not judge too much on performance from that.

This. Neither Bell nor Haley turned the offensive line into a damn turnstile on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Dave75th
Banned
Dave75th

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:12 pm

ADMIN EDIT:

Photo removed for obvious reasons.

-Wally
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:14 pm

Dave75th wrote:
ADMIN EDIT:

-Wally

wrong kind of dogs, dumb ass How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 294855916

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Are these trolls coming in here posting dogs fighting suppose to hurt our feelings? hahahahah.
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:31 pm

Dave75th wrote:
ADMIN EDIT:

-Wally

do you think that's funny that dogs are killed so people can be entertained you stupid fuck?

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Brinson: Michael Vick wasn't prepared to play

September 29, 2015

Another one of the Patriots*' AFC rivals took a stumble this past weekend when Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went down with a knee injury that will keep him on the sideline for a reported 4-6 weeks.

CBSSports.com's Will Brinson joined Toucher & Rich for a swing around the NFL on Tuesday morning and noted that he thinks the Steelers are in trouble now that Michael Vick will be under center in the absence of Roethlisberger and that Vick appeared to not be prepared to play when he entered Sunday's win over the St. Louis Rams.

Watch the video above for the complete discussion...

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-Patriots*/brinson-michael-vick-wasnt-prepared-play?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo
Back to top Go down
SteelCity4Life

SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Don't feed the troll, he clearly is a POS talking crap to a team who's QB just got injured. Obviously lacking class.

To be fair, Vick joined in that game very late and it was the 3rd game of the season. I'm gonna cut the media out and see for myself. Thursday night will be a telling of what we can begin to expect out of Vick and the offense.

Until then, I'm not concerned what these analysts have to say. They're wrong quite often as well.

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers. How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 1505004552
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 11:25 pm

so, what I am getting from this thread is :

1. Todd Haley really has to learn how to gameplan better.

2. Landry Jones isn't getting cut any time soon, because Vick is a fumble and injury waiting to happen. How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 1401235891 good talk.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 11:18 am

A very good, and fair, assessment of Vick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/are-steelers-perfect-fit-for-michael-vick-4-0-193546200.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far can Vick take us.   How far can Vick take us. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

How far can Vick take us.
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next